Why doesnt enchanting work for me?

Yazatus

Im a Lvl 32 Dunmer and I got a lot of soul gems with values from 2000 to about 20000. I also got Azuras Star and all that but Im unable to enchant anything. If Im asking a sorcerer for enchantment I can only take one soul gem and even if I take an daedric tower shield they dont give me any options. Do you need to have your own enchantment skill very high to get items enchanted?

Id like to enchant my daedric katana or goldbrand (does it work if the item is enchanted already?) to make the game even more easier for me..

Who can help?

Do you know any spell? You can enchant objects only with the spells you know. Besides, it's perfectly normal that you can choose only one soul gem, you can use only one gem per enchantment.

If this is not the case you should state your trouble more specifically.

Alberto

Im a warrior. So I didnt care on spells at all...just tell me how you did it.

And of course you can only chose one soul gem. But I cant chose from several soul gems I should actually be able to. It only shows one greater (ogrim or sth.) soul gem.

I just tried it with my warrior, you just need to have the spells in your spell list (scrolls and enchanted objects won't do) and they should pop in the enchantment menu. As for the soul gem not appearing in the menu, provided they are filled, I don't know how to solve it.

Alberto

Almusik is probably right. You may have empty soul gems, including Azura's star. You need to trap souls in them before they can be used. Ascended Sleepers and Golden Saints are best as they allow you to have constant effect enchantments. And you can buy spells whether or not you are a caster.

If you want to trap a soul in a gem, then you need the spell soul trap, or a weapon with that effect (i.e. Umbra sword). Once you have the spell/effect, cast it on an enemy, and then kill said enemy before the effect of the spell around them disappears (looks like white smoke circling their body). Also, make sure to have a proper soul gem to hold the soul. Some souls need a grand, while others only need a petty. If you do all of this, then you can trap souls to your heart's content.

Also, Azura's Star is a reusable soul gem. So, if you don't have it, I recommend getting it. It is a quest from the daedra Azura, and easy enough to do.

Once you have enough souls (like said before, Golden Saints are really nice), you can then enchant pretty much any weapon/armor/article of clothing if you so wish.

Yep I got Azuras Star with lvl 12 or so.

Ill try this later anyway.

I love sneaking combined with chameleon..just stole that winged twilight soul gem in balmora (value= 60k). :D

Lets see what I can make with it.

Anymore suggestions like whats the best enchantment for a sword?

And another question.. am I able to create constant effects myself or are they unique?

Constant effect is only avaible with gems that have golden siant or ascended sleeper souls (or Vivec/Amalexia, but they aren't exactly common plcae)

In terms of what are good effects, there is at least one thread (if not more) on this subject so I won't go in to it here.

You do however need a spell with the effect before you can enchant that effect, but it doesn't matter at what level. There are several spells I buy as a fighter just for the ability to enchant items with them.

If you need to get a soul trap weapon either buy a spell and pay for it on a wpeaon or you can get it from two quests (Late Blamora Mages guild and the Umbra quest)

Archived