Virus attack while on TESNexus, highly unusual behavior.

Vindekarr

Destructive malware is an extreme rarity these days. A malware author's dream code would cause no crashes, no perceptible performance degradation, and slip by security software without having to try to disable it. Why? Money, Dear Boy. That malware does all these things just shows how difficult a task that is to accomplish.

• 5 months later...
I need some serious help. something similar happened to me but the virus hit me pretty hard. i was simply browsing the nexus when this ad virus came up for a security check and before i could do anything it tore up my computer. the wallpaper turned black, any shortcuts for games on my desktop disappeared, and now everytime i play a game on my computer all the letters on the keyboards are mapped to a random number (i.e. i try to type 'w' and a '1' pops, etc.) and i even tried making a new user on my computer and the virus still carried over to that. and no one in my family has been able to fix (we're pretty big computer nerds) so i was wondering if you guys had any suggestions?

Ooooh, you got one of those. The first step whenever you see that 'windows has detected critical process and will now scan system files' or whatever is to use end process on your browser. No matter what you are doing. After then, run a full on system scan.

If you cannot run a scan because of the virus, remove the infected HDD from the computer, put it into another (preferably via a hard drive dock) and deep scan it from there.

Edited by CommanderCrazy

Try using NoScript on Mozilla, coupled with some lovelies that I forget the name of that block adds and such. I like Mozilla. It doesn't have the flaws in its cookies and crap that IE does that are far too exploitable for attacks, and it has more adaptability for protection within the program itself, rather than another program protecting its front and back door. Mozilla can have backup in the house as well!

Hmm, sounds bad. The only strange thing happening on the NVnexus tonight was I got 2 ads playing at the same time, 1st one on the files section page started then when I downloaded a file the download screen ad played at the same time with awesome audio results. No virus though(touch wood)

Really bad malware could possibly be a rootkit. I had one and it wiped my hard drive. The worst thing is that I didn't realise that my anti-virus had a rootkit scanner at all. DERP Edited by CheeseyBall

• 2 weeks later...

I need some serious help. something similar happened to me but the virus hit me pretty hard. i was simply browsing the nexus when this ad virus came up for a security check and before i could do anything it tore up my computer. the wallpaper turned black, any shortcuts for games on my desktop disappeared, and now everytime i play a game on my computer all the letters on the keyboards are mapped to a random number (i.e. i try to type 'w' and a '1' pops, etc.) and i even tried making a new user on my computer and the virus still carried over to that. and no one in my family has been able to fix (we're pretty big computer nerds) so i was wondering if you guys had any suggestions?

LOL, joke virus. It changes your language regional settings. Usually it's just on the surface and can be reversed from the control panel but sometimes it creates registry entries that flip the settings back after you change them. Some of them are really clever and randomizes the changes and they don't even appear in the control panel.

• 2 weeks later...
Hey everyone well the virus is still here i went on tesnexus to look for some cool mods it ran a java thing real quick and exited out all my windows and blocked me from doing anything what i did was turned my computer off the "wrong way" and when it started up it says like did your computer crash use windows start up repair it fixes it :D the only thing that prob got perm damaged is the internet icon xD it shows that its disconnected but it rely is connected thats the update on what i got ps: im not useing tesnexus anymore this is m 5th virus from here -_-

Of all the times this had to happen, damn this is really annoying as I wanted to spend half my day downloading mods from TES ... fffffff fiddlesticks :nuke:

Just a question, if I load my data (all of it) onto the program called Truecrypt, that's supposed to be virtual isn't it, can a virus still infect, corrupt or attack that data ?

From what I've read, it can still attack the BIOS so if it doesnt get me on the swings can it get me on the rounds ... so to speak ?

I'm sure that you can see that my level of knowledge on this subject isn't very good at all ... so be nice, be mellow :mellow: