Zombie Ants discovered

Fonger

It's the small things we should fear the most. Interesting article, but each organism must fight for survival, one way or another. Those ants are just unlucky.

maybe, but science documenting real life zombies has potential for improvement

I remember watching this discussed in detail on Planet Earth, a BBC boxed set of documentaries on nature. It is one of the most incredible things I've ever seen. So much stuff in the world you don't hear about.

The ones I saw, the ants were smart enough to realize what was going on, so when they found any infected member, two ants would immediately pick it up and carry it as far away from the colony as they could - sacrificing their own lives in the process. The fungi in the infected ant made it climb upwards as high as it could, so that the fungi would sprout and 'explode', where its spores would spread out. The higher the ant was, the further the spores would go.

I remember watching this discussed in detail on Planet Earth, a BBC boxed set of documentaries on nature. It is one of the most incredible things I've ever seen. So much stuff in the world you don't hear about.

The ones I saw, the ants were smart enough to realize what was going on, so when they found any infected member, two ants would immediately pick it up and carry it as far away from the colony as they could - sacrificing their own lives in the process. The fungi in the infected ant made it climb upwards as high as it could, so that the fungi would sprout and 'explode', where its spores would spread out. The higher the ant was, the further the spores would go.

like a pomegranite explodes!

Fascinating! Mother nature never ceases to amaze with its ability to evolve new natural wonders and 'threats'.

Fascinating! Mother nature never ceases to amaze with its ability to evolve new natural wonders and 'threats'.

Yeah, fascinating indeed! I just hope such new natural wonders won't affect us. With all these crazy scientists around these days, you never know. :whistling:

Edited by Pushkatu