Is it even worth it, NV?

flaggpuss

You think the Mojave desert was closer packed than downtown DC? Really?

Really. It is. Downtown DC is just as packed as the locations in New Vegas. The DC subway is more elaborate, but that's to be expected. The map design was simply more thorough in DC. I won't argue with that.

As for motivation for your character: You really need motivation? Really? I think my own imagination is good enough to come up with plenty of motivations. That's half the fun for RPGs for me, but then maybe that's just me. I don't like being spoonfed every bit of storyline. I like using my imagination a little bit.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As for motivation for your character: You really need motivation? Really? I think my own imagination is good enough to come up with plenty of motivations. That's half the fun for RPGs for me, but then maybe that's just me. I don't like being spoonfed every bit of storyline. I like using my imagination a little bit.

So you felt spoonfed in Fallout 1? For me it adds to the depth. I mean sure I could pretend the Courier is actually a vault dweller on an epic quest to save his vault/family etc. But nothing in the game would relate to that 'role', so there is nothing roleplay. I just play myself with some simplistic alterations so I can do different game paths. But I dont get lost in the role because nothing in the game world anchors me to it.

For me Fallout 1, 2 and 3 had more in common with Mass Effect, Knights of the Old Republic, Dragon Age etc. Fallount New Vegas has more in common with Oblivion and Morrowind (without those games incredibly detailed world space). They are all good games, and I dont want you to think I dont like any of them. Just personal preference. I just hope that now Obsidian have a little more experience with the game engine they can do more than good dialogue and build a more detailed landscape and a good backstory for the next Fallout title. But even if they released a game identical to FNV, I am sure I would buy it, mods it, play it and enjoy it anyway :)

Eh, I can understand the whole motivation thing. That was one of my problems with Point Lookout. Looking at it from Blaze's perspective, I had no reason to take on Desmond's quest. Caps? Big deal, I got more than I can use already, and a stockpile of loot back home that's worth thousands more. Why do the tribals want you dead? Hah, what do I care?

I ended up sending Blaze off to explore on her own, figuring maybe she'd bump into something interesting. No such luck, and I soon found I wasn't enjoying Point Lookout, and contrived a way to send Blaze to Vegas. ;)

Unfortunately at the moment, I'm at a point in the story where Blaze is thinking, Well, what do I do now? because she has little interest in what's next...

You think the Mojave desert was closer packed than downtown DC? Really?

Really. It is. Downtown DC is just as packed as the locations in New Vegas. The DC subway is more elaborate, but that's to be expected. The map design was simply more thorough in DC. I won't argue with that.

Really it isn't :) I just made the trip from Megaton to the library in the Moira Quest and there was non stop scenery the whole way, and constantly finding buildings to explore and raider camps to kill. Not only did I not use fast travel, but I actually used sneak most of the way with my rifle drawn the whole time. And DC downtown is ridiculously packed with locations and enemies. FO3 is so much more busy and detailed than FNV that I am frankly wondering if you are pulling my leg :)

FNV seems to have nests of enemies rather than enemies sprinkled about at random as in FO3.

I dont think the FO3 placement was random, but as you would expect in an urban environment there are just more of them. With so many places to hide and so many existing barriers it is easier to form mini-tribes. In New Vegas on the other hand the worldspace has very few places where a 'nest' for human could survive (or at least would naturally try to build a camp). So any tribes would end up conflicting/merging on the prime spots. Of course it is perfectly reasonable that a desert is emptier than a city. Lets face it, deserts are deserted :)

Unfortunately at the moment, I'm at a point in the story where Blaze is thinking, Well, what do I do now? because she has little interest in what's next...

Yep, NV is much more of a sandbox than FO3 was, but I enjoyed running around the Capitol Wasteland more than I do the Mohave. Part of it has to do with the giant barrier that runs down the middle of the map (you know, mountains that aren't really there for anything other than topographical accuracy and to funnel you through the encounters), and the fact that after you finally do deliver the chip, your job is officially over. Well, that particular job anyways, and yet you can't go back to being a courier. You have to decide the fate of three nation-states, and pay no attention to the fact that you're a courier, with responsibilities. Mail delivery is important in a society that relies on shouting for most long distance communication.

For the OP, I think New Vegas is totally worth getting, but there's a serious disparity between the story motivations in FO3 and NV. You had a good reason to chase an old man around the wasteland in FO3. There's no reason to continue the plot in NV, character-wise, as your whole motivation is getting the SOB who left you for dead in a shallow grave and finishing the job that he interrupted. After a certain point, your character is following the plot it because you want to, not because your character has any real reason to do so.

To sum it up, in FO3, following the plot line reveals your true past, reunites you with your father (and his dreams), and helps (or hinders) the recovery of the Capitol Wasteland. In New Vegas, following the plot line probably gets you fired from a very cool job. Why probably? Because the least developed part of the Mohave is how the Courier Service works. To this day, after 300+ hours playing the darn game, I still have no idea who my boss is, where the main office is, and how I'm supposed to get paid. There's no way all the money contracted to the Courier service is my pay. Some of that money goes to a boss, in a building somewhere, and those fees keep him knee-deep in secretaries and cheap rotgut. Maybe I missed something (Nash doesn't count), but at what point do I get my motivation to not go back to work?

So yeah, New Vegas is worth it, just don't expect some the hooks of the main plot to make sense. On the other hand, the side-quests are super awesome! So there's that! Yeah! *fist-pump*

Edited by Seviche

Guess I am just fed up of looking as sand, more sand and even more sand :) The Mojave in New Vegas doesn't even feel like a nuclear wasteland to me. It just feels like a desert. Goodsprings seems almost 'normal'.

That's because the Mojave wasteland IS NOT a nuclear desert, the location was spared from the nuclear armageddon with only 9 of the 77 nukes hitting the location and none hitting Vegas itself.

Do you really payed attention to the story or you just want to shoot everything?

And FO3's story was just a copy/paste of the first two games, every main plot of FO1 and FO2 were used in FO3.

[ ]'s

I find NV in whole is far more linear due to its geographical restraints as imposed by the invisible walls and lack of spreading out items in the other 2/3rds of the map that are not accessable. However you do encounter more things along the way in NV because of this. So if you dont like wandering the wastes looking for interesting stuff NV is a better game. But if you dont like being bottled in you wont like it so much. While the main quest has more options than in FO3, thats more so with the plot itself and not with development. Your looking at siding with multiple factions and not just picking between two outcomes. Now NV has pritty much no random encounters to it. So replay ability is limited to trying diffrent quest outcomes and not the day to day life of the wasteland.

So to sum it up;

NV: Linear, but with multiple quest outcomes for most every quest.

FO3: Open space, random encounters, but with limited outcome options for all quests.