Pirating to become a felony.

Keanumoreira

I'm not fully on top of the details, but America is apparently considering to make the repercussions for pirating into a national crime, as well as other countries who are thinking of applying this same act to their highest crime punishments. Seems to me that the age of pirates just got a little more difficult...

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let me know when they figure out how to enforce that.

Just sayin', and I buy 99% of my games legit. (Minus the two or three that were so old that I had to torrent them to even find a copy.)

Not sure what to debate. Yep, it's illegal. That's nice that they're going to make it worse. Too bad they still can't really enforce it.

I applying this same act to their highest crime punishments.

I don't get it.. So piracy will result in being drawn and quartered? Or do you mean they're adding it among their other highest crimes? Execution for piracy seems a bit... Overkill. Maybe cut off their internet connection at most.

Let me know when they figure out how to enforce that.

Just sayin', and I buy 99% of my games legit. (Minus the two or three that were so old that I had to torrent them to even find a copy.)

Not sure what to debate. Yep, it's illegal. That's nice that they're going to make it worse. Too bad they still can't really enforce it.

Accidently put it in the wrong section, but I guess people could somehow debate it...

I applying this same act to their highest crime punishments.

I don't get it.. So piracy will result in being drawn and quartered? Or do you mean they're adding it among their other highest crimes? Execution for piracy seems a bit... Overkill. Maybe cut off their internet connection at most.

No, I didn't word that correctly. What I mean is that yes, in other countries the pirates will be treated severly, but perhaps not at the highest level, maybe not severly, maybe just a bit more punishment. I forgot in other nations that their punishments vary. But yes, overall, an increased step in repercussions, but not execution or anything of that nature.

Edited by Keanumoreira

A law was passed in the dying days of the last government here that was supposed to address the issue. Rather than it being a civil matter they were going to have a system where warning letters were going to be sent out to those up to no good, if they continued then their internet would be cut off. I far as know that is now being reviewed because after passing the law someone realised that it's nearly impossible to prove who actually downloaded the offending file(s) in homes with more than one person living there or those with neighbours close enough to connect to the offenders wireless. Not so long ago a civil case was thrown out of court when the judge decided that an I.P address isn't enough to prove wrong doing, if that evidence isn't good enough in a civil case it certainly won't be in a criminal one where the burden of proof is set far higher.

Piracy is already a crime.

Making it a felony crime instead and upping the punishment that might be applied won't make much difference to those who engage in piracy.

As usual, these types of laws are really only going to add to the concerns of those who already do the right thing.

I'm not fully on top of the details, but America is apparently considering to make the repercussions for pirating into a national crime, as well as other countries who are thinking of applying this same act to their highest crime punishments. Seems to me that the age of pirates just got a little more difficult...

Keanu

I have been back tracking the legal threads and it seems that it is only California that is considering the legislation.

I would really like to see how they plan on enforcing that? If you use a proxy, there is no way they can trace it back to you. And also there are settings in many torrent programs that let you circumvent bandwidth caps put on you by your cable provider. Basically if you do both, there is no way in the world they could have any clue what the hell you are doing. They would have to fundamentally change the way the internet works, and how people access the internet to enforce piracy laws on any grand scale, and the critics of such a draconian big brother intervention would be very vocal. I don't think either political party in America would support such a control over the internet, it would be too unpopular and risky for either of them to tread those waters.

As far as piracy goes, the best I can tell the game manufacturers is learn to deal with it as an acceptable loss.

Edited by crimsonedge11

I am more concerned with the growing unfairness of certain aspects of the copyright laws such as the Sonny Bonnie Copyright Extension Act of 1998 and others like it that seem to be rising around the world that allows a copyright to be held for ever if extensions are continued.

Piracy would have a better chance of lessening if many corporations were not trying to make super profits on products and services.