Stonekeep

HellsMaster

Stonkeep...

its my childhood right there.

I remember playing it with our mom back in France. When he munshed happily on apples and killed giant ants.

OI! Anybody out there played it? Anybody out there played it again some time ago? I did!

Trully freakin epic game that.

• 2 months later...
I vaguely remember having played this. I don't know if I ever finished it though. For its time, the graphics were outstanding and as I recall it even had a good story.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Yes played it many many times. I loved this game. You go into a castle and you are trying to solve a mystery but it combines this with RPG elements and a unique "magik" system. As you progress you go deeper and deeper under the castle as I recall. I also remember about halfway through the game there is a huge anvil in one of the dwarven tunnels. You can hit it with any weapon and each successful hit will raise your skill in the weapon. That was the first time I used an exploit i think. I just taped my mouse button down with every different weapon until it was maxed.

Anyways, great game.

• 2 months later...

I played this. I remember spanking that tentacle creature in the sewers with Drake and that Dwarf NPC by running in circles around it and hitting it :)

I assume, that by "that Dwarf NPC" you mean your dwarf companion Farli. Comparing Stonekeep masterpiece to Anvil of Dawn is ridiculous. Anvil of Dawn might be less buggy on the technical side, but considering it as a game means you like sterile, barren and repetitive environment and enjoy periods of concentrated boredom. Authors with all that technical polish simply forgot to add an actual game. Stonekeep is a well deserved classic offering premium entertainment with average game time of 2 months. Anvil of Dawn is a weird software package and "playing" with that in my opinion is a chore.

EDIT: Stonekeep is much better in overall artistic impression and graphics as well.

Edited by dannyfx1

Comparing Stonekeep masterpiece to Anvil of Dawn is ridiculous. Anvil of Dawn might be less buggy on the technical side, but considering it as a game means you like sterile, barren and repetitive environment and enjoy periods of concentrated boredom. Authors with all that technical polish simply forgot to add an actual game. Stonekeep is a well deserved classic offering premium entertainment with average game time of 2 months. Anvil of Dawn is a weird software package and "playing" with that in my opinion is a chore.

EDIT: Stonekeep is much better in overall artistic impression and graphics as well.

This is, obviously, my subjective take on the matter. AoD feels more like Eye of the Beholder/Dungeon Master II (games I deeply love). Puzzles might be a bit more repetitive, but I enjoyed the game and loved small details, like you can choose one of the characters and encounter the other ones later in the game. Stonekeep graphic seems more "fake" to me than AoD ones; maybe it's because I like pixel art more than semi-photorealistic renders. Stonekeep movement is really awkward, too. You are not on the middle of the square, you are on the edge. It's really difficult at times to correctly judge proper distances when interacting with the objects/environment. Because of the bugs I think I could not really enjoy the story, too.

Again, it's just a subjective matter, but I think Stonekeep is a bit overrated (not saying it's a bad game, though).