Why do snipers prefer bolt action rifles?

DarkeWolf

Ok, this is just a random thought that went thru my mind last night, and has kinda been nagging at me since then.

Why is that snipers prefer bolt action rifles?

I have a preference to lever action rifles, myself. For me there's less chance of losing target acquisition, and honestly... I can cycle a lever action faster than I can a bolt action, so if necessary a follow-up shot is quicker.

Not to mention that my hands aren't moving so much away from the trigger as they are with a bolt.

I mean, I know that most lever action rifles are tube feed, which makes the rifle much more difficult to break down for transport and cleaning. But Ruger has proven that there's clip magazine fed levers.

Maybe because of more moving parts?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lets see, with a lever action there is more vertical movement that would have to be re calibrated for. Furthermore most all snipers use some form of forward barrel rest, usually sandbags and there by the movement of a bolt would have little effect. However I think that it is more a case of chamber compression being superior in bolt action weapons. But then again I hunt with an old 1899 Kraig, so must admit bias.

Simple, it is accuracy........the bolt of a sniper rifle is hand machined to match as perfectly as possible the chamber itself and will lock into the exact same position every time; the belted cartridge will seat exactly as it should and give the proper sholder positioning and head space check that round required. , my personal favorite is a Remington 700 bdl heavy barrel. Chambered in 7mm Remington magnum, 125 grain teflon coated copper jacket....nice and flat trajectory and high muzzle velocity. In the right hands, deadly to 2500 meters..

Now that makes a lot of sense, about the machining and fitting of the parts. I really hadn't thought about it from that aspect. But yeah... that really does make a lot of sense. Thanks for the input Micky :)

And wow.... you take hunting REALLY seriously! :D :thumbsup:

Aurielius- true that as well. Snipers sometimes have to fire from a near-completely prone position sometimes. I hadn't considered that either. Having to rack a lever would mean having to move the weapon in situations like that, which would TOTALLY botch your current target acquisition.

Chamber compression- I'd thought about that. But both are closed bolt firing. So there's no chance of gases escaping thru the chamber as it would on a semi-auto or heck... revolver. I guess it would come down to what Micky was pointing out about the fit of the machining.

ub3rman- Hehehehehe!! :D

Thanks for the imput guys, it's most definitely appreciated!

Im not sure whether to feel ashamed or enraged, WHAT ABOUT SEMI AUTOMATIC?!?!

Me, I like my guns recoil-operated, probably from groiwing up in a really windy part of the world where no matter how careful your fire shot, it may miss due to natural interfearance, that and, I just have a thing for big, chunky, polymer cased semi/burst firers. That's not to say I dont like rifles with manual actions, weapons like the AWR and Zastava-93 leave me drooling, but if I was to shoot at something that wasnt made of concrete or plastic bags with a "pete the bank robber" drawn on them in sharpie, I'd be more relaxed and likely to hit if I knew I had a second shot on call, it's just a personality thing, and how I learned to shoot.

Ahh well, atleast I still love it: http://i1228.photobucket.com/albums/ee454/Vindekarr/220px-Barrett_M82A1.jpg

Simple, it is accuracy........the bolt of a sniper rifle is hand machined to match as perfectly as possible the chamber itself and will lock into the exact same position every time; the belted cartridge will seat exactly as it should and give the proper sholder positioning and head space check that round required. , my personal favorite is a Remington 700 bdl heavy barrel. Chambered in 7mm Remington magnum, 125 grain teflon coated copper jacket....nice and flat trajectory and high muzzle velocity. In the right hands, deadly to 2500 meters..

I just have to ask, what do you hunt at 2500 meters and doesn't wind drift become an increasing issue? If we have 200 yards of clear fire in Pennsylvania woods we are happy campers. But I am definitely calling ahead before I come to visit. :whistling:

Edited by Aurielius

The action of working a bolt-action rifle is up and forward, causing less 'deviation effect' than a lever action weapon does. It would seem to be a very minor matter but when sniping, especially at a smaller target at a distance, all such concerns matter. This is most important when a sniper wishes to work a gun rapidly to let loose a series of rounds before moving away to another position to escape any form of retaliation. Semiautomatic rifles are a different matter, of course. Or at least this is what I picked up.

Ahhhh the Barrett. The dentist's favorite firearm. Fire it enough in rapid succession and it'll rattle your fillings loose :D

Don't get me wrong, I love semi-autos. And burst fire can be a lot of fun. But yeah, you get better accuracy and consistancy on a closed bolt system.

Its also kinda hard to jam a bolt action unless your ammo is in pretty sad shape.

I'm a pretty good shot. But... I....don't think I could even SEE a target at 2500 meters, much less hit the sucker. :blink: