Translation please..

Daynox

Hey all..

Im hoping someone can translate something for me. These were found on a sword i stumbled upon in an old attic while doing a cleanup after my friends grandad passed...

this sword isnt some stainless steel piece of garbage you can buy anywhere....we tested the sword on a multitude of items and it remained totally nick/dent free, that included striking a piece of re-bar....which is now missing a chunk :blink:

my friend believes if might be the name of the person who made it.....but i dont know and thats why im here :thumbsup: hoping someone can tell me what these symbols/letters mean.

A huge thanx in advance to the own who can help.

Hey all..

Im hoping someone can translate something for me. These were found on a sword i stumbled upon in an old attic while doing a cleanup after my friends grandad passed...

this sword isnt some stainless steel piece of garbage you can buy anywhere....we tested the sword on a multitude of items and it remained totally nick/dent free, that included striking a piece of re-bar....which is now missing a chunk :blink:

my friend believes if might be the name of the person who made it.....but i dont know and thats why im here :thumbsup: hoping someone can tell me what these symbols/letters mean.

A huge thanx in advance to the own who can help.

What culture does it look like?

If Japanese, it doesn't look to be in the modern alphabet, the form has changed, or you made some error in transcription.

im pretty sure its a Japanese Katana

thats the best i can do with the markings though...you cant really see them if i take a picture of them on the sword :confused:

took this pic to with quikcam..

Looks Japanese to me.

Found a little info here:

The length of the blade varied considerably during the course of its history. In the late 14th and early 15th centuries, katana blades tended to be between 70 to 73 cm (27.6 to 28.7 in) in length. While during the early 16th century, the average length was closer to 60 cm (23.6 in). By the late 16th century, the average length returned to approximately 73 cm (28.7 in).

If mishandled in its storage or maintenance, the katana may become irreparably damaged. The blade should be stored in its sheath, curve down and edge facing upward to maintain the edge. It is extremely important that the blade remain well-oiled, powdered and polished, as the natural moisture residue from the hands of the user will rapidly cause the blade to rust if not cleaned off. The traditional oil used is choji oil (99% mineral oil and 1% clove oil for fragrance). Similarly, when stored for longer periods, it is important that the katana be inspected frequently and aired out if necessary in order to prevent rust or mold from forming (mold may feed off the salts in the oil used to polish the katana)

If I remember...normally symbols carved on it where the name of the maker and how many body parts it could cut through in a single swipe (that might just be an urban legend though)

The first symbol is for the number 8. The second symbol looks familiar (my Japanese is a little rusty now), but I'm not sure.

It's most likely a very nice folded steel replica. The nicer replicas can slice through some pretty tough stuff just as well as the real ones. The steel that authentic katanas are made from is rarely made anymore. But if it came out of your friend's grandad's attic, it could also possibly be a World War II era katana :D I'd get it checked out :)

Edited by Illiad86

A genuine Katana, beautiful.

Genuine katana swords are quite rare, and while the shape has been copied both militarily and for collectors, a REAL katana is set apart instead by how it is made: Katanas are a very dificult weapon to make, and true katanas are made using a mix of various steel alloys: the alloy blade has a hard and a soft steel layer; allowing it to be durable and keep it's edge perfectly, while remaining as supple as a reed and thus unlikely to be damaged by parrying another's sword blow.

They're a very dificult weapon to look after-the blade needs regular oiling as Illiad pointed out, and a regular inspection to nip an potential issues in the bud. However they dont need to be sharpened very often, and compared to similar western blades it's cutting power, speed, and accuracy and unparreled, making weapons such as dacian falx, cutlass, and falchions seem barbaric knockoffs.

The Saya(sheath) would be leather-a Katana is a noble's weapon and is consider itself noble, it's considered worthy of the care it takes, not only does it cut a swathe on a battlefield, but it's also a thing of beauty and, when you think about the shear effort that goes into making each one(all Katana are hand made, a process that can take weeks or longer, and requires a master smith) a work of high art.

how this is the bade at the tip??? and the marking is either the maker of the blade or some form of quote

also one of the caroctors looks like achent chinaeese

and yes im a horrid speller....