Favorite Game

Guss

No, Starcraft SUCKS. It's a mindless spam-fest where the only important skill is your clicks per second. 80% of play skill is managing the horrible interface (limited selection groups and units that die in seconds anyone?) better than your opponent. And 19% of it is being better at insane micromanagement to compensate for the complete lack of AI. Memorize your build orders down to the fraction of a second, click faster than your opponent, and you'll win every time.

Um, what happend to the other 1%? Still, in my opinion Starcraft rocks. I'm sure quite a few people here would agree. They die because it's realistic, tell me how many people do you know that can get shot 20 in one sitting and still live? The game was made in 1996 and it's still a popular game, why else would the servers still be around? The only strategy game that comes close to it is Rise of Nations. Another very good game.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Um, what happend to the other 1%? Still, in my opinion Starcraft rocks. I'm sure quite a few people here would agree. They die because it's realistic, tell me how many people do you know that can get shot 20 in one sitting and still live? The game was made in 1996 and it's still a popular game, why else would the servers still be around? The only strategy game that comes close to it is Rise of Nations. Another very good game.

The 1% is the actual skill involved. It's there, it's just a tiny factor. And it's still popular because of Blizzard fanboys who know if they try to learn a new game, they won't be the Ub3r 1337 PwnM4st3rzz anymore.

As for unit deaths, yes, it's realistic, but it's incredibly frustrating with the tiny selection groups. Lets say I build 16 units and attack (two groups of 8, since I can't put all 16 in one group). Pretty quickly I have two groups of 4 with 8 new units on the way from the factory. Now it's a pain to keep my groups updated, organized, and focusing their fire properly. And there's no reason for it, it's just incredibly poor interface design.

The 1% is the actual skill involved. It's there, it's just a tiny factor. And it's still popular because of Blizzard fanboys who know if they try to learn a new game, they won't be the Ub3r 1337 PwnM4st3rzz anymore.

As for unit deaths, yes, it's realistic, but it's incredibly frustrating with the tiny selection groups. Lets say I build 16 units and attack (two groups of 8, since I can't put all 16 in one group). Pretty quickly I have two groups of 4 with 8 new units on the way from the factory. Now it's a pain to keep my groups updated, organized, and focusing their fire properly. And there's no reason for it, it's just incredibly poor interface design.

You know what? I agree with you on the group size. :ohmy: I think the fun of the is just keeping on top of the unit loss and all that. Though there have been rumors about a Starcraft 2, I hope there true. Maybe if it is you will like it better.

There have been rumors of Starcraft 2 since the original game came out.

As for Peregrine said you comformed everything i said before. Fast, quick, and easy. And it's still a hell of a lot of fun to me at least.

This is getting rather derailed... this is about your favourite games, not Starcraft. Let's get this back on-topic shall we? ;)

Yes sir! You know another good game is Star Wars Empire at Wars, though I haven't found a Star Wars game I haven't liked. :huh:

Yes sir! You know another good game is Star Wars Empire at Wars, though I haven't found a Star Wars game I haven't liked. :huh:

Play Force Commander. Once you've bought a new keyboard to replace the one you snapped in half in frustration, come back and remove that statement.

Oh god don't even get me started on Force Commander. If I'm not mistaken we had a little debate about it a few months ago. No words can describe how disappointed i was in that game. But anyway another game that was pretty good was Homeworld 2. I liked it's gameplay a lot.

I enjoyed that game but my favorite Star Wars game was Star Wars Republic Commando. I still play that because it is a great shooter for Star Wars geeks like me.

I am an enormous fan of all things Star Wars, (at least upto and excluding Episode One) but I find the gameplay either too childish or too repetitive and frustrating in pretty much all the SW-related games. That goes right from the old arcade destroy-the-Deathstar one, through Shadows of the Empire (excellent in its day, but far too linear) to Rogue Squadron. They nearly got it right with Rebel Strike, but failed again with the childish on-foot missions. Anyway, in order to keep this on-topic, my favourite Star Wars game had to be Jedi Outcast, for overall feeling of immersion in the SW universe. I cannot opine on the strategy-based games, as I just can't get into them.

Archived