Strong Computer - Many mods - 30 FPS

WickedCat

Depends, do you want to play the game or just make nice pics. In MO you can have separated profiles for that and keep your 4k textures as a separated pack.

For playing swap most 4k textures out for 2k, smaller objects clutter can be easily 1k. Use SMCO from Nexus to optimize your textures. Most noticeable difference between 2k and 4k for me were mountain and statue textures. Those are huge objects and 2k tends to stretch too much on some areas. But having 4k body textures just for gameplay kills your game, specially in cities. Scale them for 2k. Too lush/tall grass can affect your performance too, play with ini setting like vram1974 recommended. Do not run ultra versions of ENB, look for standard or performance versions.

Go over your mods list and think what you actually want into you game and what is there just as a filler for you.

I also think this result reasonable concerning that Realvision is one of the more demandings ENBs.

I have a R9 290 and together with True Vision ENB and almost every 4k/2k texture mod available here I can't get 60fps outdoors too although I have 48fps and upwards.

I wouldn't call the GTX 780 a monster card. At no time. 3GB VRAM is not enough for a graphically heavily modded Skyrim.

Post your enblocal here. Maybe we can tweak some settings.

I also think this result reasonable concerning that Realvision is one of the more demandings ENBs.

I have a R9 290 and together with True Vision ENB and almost every 4k/2k texture mod available here I can't get 60fps outdoors too although I have 48fps and upwards.

I wouldn't call the GTX 780 a monster card. At no time. 3GB VRAM is not enough for a graphically heavily modded Skyrim.

Post your enblocal here. Maybe we can tweak some settings.

then what is? lol. it was top of the line and i would still consider it very high end. Is it the best available? NO. is it upper echelon.....YES.

Number one causes of lag (based on my findings):

1. Loading too many textures (2k-4k textures) without enough VRAM

2. Loading too many script heavy mods on weak Papyrus engine

3. Displaying too much grass (increase iMaxGrassTypesPerTexure until stuttering stops)

Granted, I only have a 2GB video card but my world changed the day I admitted I couldn't run 2K textures and lowered everything to 1K. I went from stutter and lag to 60 fps WITH a nice ENB.

completely agree. I cant even notice the difference anyways. I always use the smallest possible textures now. Very minimal stutter and fast loading times.

then what is? lol. it was top of the line and i would still consider it very high end. Is it the best available? NO. is it upper echelon.....YES.

Only because it was when released Nvidia's top of the line doesn't mean it's a monster card! Alone the 3GB VRAM shows that. And if it would be nowadays upper echelon he wouldn't get the results he's complaining about.

I cant even notice the difference anyways. I always use the smallest possible textures now.

I see you are a connoisseur.

Edited by Novem99

Only because it was when released Nvidia's top of the line doesn't mean it's a monster card! Alone the 3GB VRAM shows that. And if it would be nowadays upper echelon he wouldn't get the results he's complaining about.

The 780 is still the nineth most powerful card on the market. The VRAM has nothing to do with the power of it, because it'll pump out all the framerate needed as long as the compression is correct, just like any high end card. I personally use two 970s in SLI, but a 780 is more than enough for Skyrim, and it benchmarks higher than the R9 290 you said you have. And besides, 3GB is still more than the vast majority of people have. Just because some people can have the best of the best doesn't mean you need to criticize those who can't. You don't need to be rude to someone, it doesn't help anyone, and it's certainly not the goal of this thread.

Now, on the topic of a better framerate with less stuttering - First and foremost, compress your textures. First, backup your whole textures folder, so that you can revert if needed. Next, use this tool - http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/12801/?. Make sure to generate mipmaps, and I'd personally suggest resizing the textures to 2K (2048). Now, this tool can cause some issues on textures that are longer than usual (for example, tree textures are very tall, but not very wide). However, it's a good starting point to see if it solves your issue.

Edited by sgtmcbiscuits

Hey, thanks for your answer.

I'm indeed on Win7.

As you suggested, I changed the power management to Prefer maximum performance, under my TES5 program settings in the nVidia control panel.

Also, I'm already using a borderless window mod, One Tweak, under "Tools" in my mods list in the first message.

I noticed that the Expanded Towns and Cities mod (ETaC) lowers my fps by roughly 20% (from 40 to 32 for example, when looking at the exact same direction).

I knew ETaC mod was very greedy on CPU (or GPU) because of all the meshes it's adding (the buildings and such). But I definitely want that mod on.

The textures look incredibly accurate, all around, the rocks, the grass, the wooden pieces. But maybe there is a couple of mods that replace textures, actually already replaced by other mods.

Or maybe the 4k packages are too much for the human eye, and a 2k would make no difference whatsoever, but a noticeable performance boost.

I have no idea about that, I'm just assuming.

4K is overkill unless you are running 16gb titans or something...and then still, unless you are playing on a 52 inch plazma monitor...

I have 2GB vram, run most textures up to 1K. Unique items or PC only items get the HD boost to 2k. Stutter on moving camera that is not attributed to size of textures (loading 4K takes a moment), then could be AA, DOF or other multi-sample render enhancement. ENB does a lot of screen sampling.

The biggest hit is SSAO (just use Nvidia control panel and set to Quality for SSAO, looks as good as high settings in ENB and is faster), second would be reflections. Shadows on grass cause a lot of hardware resource to be used up, I gained 20 fps switching from Summer Skyrim to Winter Skyrim just for the absence of grass.

The 780 is still the nineth most powerful card on the market... but a 780 is more than enough for Skyrim, and it benchmarks higher than the R9 290 you said you have.

Really?

http://www.pc-erfahrung.de/grafikkarte/vga-grafikrangliste.html

http://www.hardware-infos.com/grafikkarten-charts-rangliste.html

Doesn't look like. Maybe you consider to do better research before posting here.

But yeah, the 780 is enough...for an unmodded Skyrim! And just in case you didn't notice this is a forum about modding this game.

The VRAM has nothing to do with the power of it

Come on. A Skyrim without ENB and heavily modded with only 2K not 4K textures already needs more than 3.5GB VRAM. So how can be a card with "only" 3GB can be sufficient?

Just because some people can have the best of the best doesn't mean you need to criticize those who can't. You don't need to be rude to someone, it doesn't help anyone, and it's certainly not the goal of this thread.

I didn't criticize him because he didn't buy a better card. But if he's complaining about his game performance that is obviously caused by the graphics card than the only thing that will help him is to get a better card. And unlike your counterproductive advice to compress the textures (counterproductive because many texture mods here explicitly say on the description section to "NOT" compress the textures furthermore) I asked for his enblocal to optimize it.

http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html

Yes, really. Don't quote tech specs at me, because the specs won't do anything if they're not optimized properly. For example, how a 2.0 GHz Intel processor will always beat a 2.2GHz AMD processor - More efficiency. I do my research, and I'd appreciate if you didn't criticize me for that.

A 780 is way more than enough for unmodded Skyrim, and is massive overkill. A GT740 can max out Skyrim, with a benchmark rating of 1,553. The 780 has a benchmark score of 8,030. This is way more than enough, modded or not. It has more than enough power, and has a more than adequate VRAM as long as you treat it right (just as any card)

And no, I was correct. The VRAM has nothing to do with framerate until the buffers are overloaded. As well, the actual size of the textures is also almost completely irrelevant. A 4K texture with little detail WILL be smaller than a 2K texture with a lot of detail. The compression algorithms can easily compress lowly detailed textures, but when they're very complicated, it can't be compressed as much due to not enough of the pixels being similar. 3GB VRAM is perfectly fine to play Skyrim with mods, and many, MANY people play it with much less. It all depends on the compression of the textures and the textures themselves, NOT the texture sizes alone. As well, drivers are there for a reason. They purposely load up as much as the card can handle, and no more, no less. This provides the most efficiency, which is why a card with 2GB VRAM and a card with 4GB VRAM will both tend to have their VRAM filled completely by the same exact things. Higher VRAM adds the ability to take on more textures at the same time, it DOES NOT set a hard limit. Also, most ENBs don't use any more VRAM than without an ENB. In fact, they've been specially coded to REDUCE VRAM usage. Without certain effects enabled, most ENBs reduce VRAM usage due to better, more efficient coding.

And, these mod authors state that the textures shouldn't be compressed because they already are. Fantastic! The tool that I linked only compresses textures that are uncompressed. It does NOT change textures that don't need to be compressed. Again, I know what I'm talking about, and I'd appreciate if you so graciously accepted other people to help as well.

I appreciate you wanting to optimize his ENBLocal ini, but without in-depth knowledge of his computer, that would be very hard to do. It's something that involves a lot of tweaking client side, and there is not one way to do it. If you can fix it this way, then I'm very happy you can. However, OP, please make sure to backup your ENBLocal before you, or anyone else, messes around in it.

Now, I'd appreciate not arguing on a thread to help someone. If we can act like civilized adults and simply be kind and helpful to one another rather than insulting, it would be better for everyone