ℹ️ Intermittent Download History issues ×

Update on NMM version 0.60 and FAQ

Dark0ne

In response to post #29098379. #29113709 is also a reply to the same post.

bben46 wrote:

Updating is not required. You can still use the older version if you choose. Not supported just means the older version will no longer be getting regular updates as we just don't have the staff available to keep up with multiple versions. No updates also means it will not be updated to work with FO4 or any other new games that come out.

I still use the old OBMM to manage Oblivion, Even though it is supported by NMM. running them both has not been a problem. I just don;t use the NMM for Oblivion.

You can use both the old and new versions - rename one of them ( preferably the old one as renaming the new version will cause problems with future updates) And install the new in a different folder ( having both in the same folder will cause confusion) The new version will try to find your older games, just let it, it is not going to make any changes until you actually open that game using the new version, and then it will ask permission before doing anything.

The big lesson here is don't just click yes to every pop up you see. READ them, Then wait and let what you read percolate through your brain cells for a minute before doing something you might regret.

phantompally76 wrote: Why are you being so condescending? People are 100x more upset by the attitude of the moderators (as well as the site owner) throughout all this than they are about having to troubleshoot issues with the update. You're supposed to rise above your detractors, not stoop below their level. It's just so unprofessional and off-putting. By now you guys HAVE to realize that this should have been handled differently, and that instead of screaming "You're to blame because you didn't read closely enough", you should be saying "We're sorry for the inconvenience, and are working hard to correct the issue" like any other professional business that isn't actually trying to go bankrupt.

@bben46 my apologies for blowing up your posting here, but I'm afraid this is necessary because I've seen too many people blasting the moderators about this update and I feel it's time that the record be set straight.
@phantompally76:

He's being condenscending because you and everybody else that are blasting the NMM team and the moderators are the ones that aren't doing your due diligence. You and everyone else claim that you haven't had ample warning. You claim that your skyrim install is ruined and you claim that you'll leave skyrim forever because of NMM destroying your game saves. The reality is, is that if you had read the warnings (I've linked them below), and performed backups of your save files, plugin lists and game data in general (there is a folder were NMM stores all plugins, I backed that folder up) You would have had everything safe guarded and when your install did crap out, you would simply reinstall, reorder, throw the save data into the appropriate folder and away you'd go gaming again.

Instead, you all clicked without thinking, without reading and your install blew up. You have absolutely no room or right to go to the moderators and shout at them for not giving warnings or explaining things. So bben46 is in the right for that tone because you and everybody else ignored everything then complained.

I read 95% of everything posted, backed up my saves, my mods and plugins and after everything was said and done, 1 mod didn't work. I looked at the mod's page, reported said issue that the NMM was giving me and within 72 hours the mod author had a work around. I applied said work around and now that mod is back in working order.

I also went into the fray expecting 100% failure. I got less than 1% failure on my end. Do you know the actual failure rate of the new version of 0.60 when it was released to beta? less than One (1) half percent 40/8200=.00487. That's a fantastic failure rate when completely changing the foundation of how it works mods.

I congratulate the moderators and the NMM team on their efforst and releasing so many patches so quickly. In-fact, I'm checking back to the site at least once a day looking for a new version to be released so that another bug that i haven't encountered is fixed and won't affect me.

Warning and Introduction: NMM 0.60 alpha release with profiling, ready for testing 1/23/2015 http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/news/12414/?

Warning: Nexus Mod Manager V 0.60 alpha : Upgrading From v0.53 2/10/2015 http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/news/12424/?

Warning: NMM 0.60 beta released with profiling 9/17/2015 http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/news/12569/?

Warning: Update on NMM Version 0.60 and FAQ 9/18/2015 http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/news/12574/?

4 news posts plus those BIG RED LETTERS in the install proceedure. Not enough warning? Then you shouldn't be using mods.

• Replies 745
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #29044829. #29047964 is also a reply to the same post.

DanielMarley wrote: Nexus MM is good when you got around 50 mods, after 100 it's just get messy, and after new version everything from install to uninstall takes huge amount of time. After Up NMM and hard uninstall of all mods everything went south. It takes NMM some 3h just to uninstall, after install, all scripts mods have been broken! No to mention waste of HDD space with mod folder and virtual mod folder. Now my skyrim takes around 40 GB and mod folder takes 30GB, virtual mod folder also 30GB. Who thought this will be convenient??
Now I manually uninstall mods and I will never use NMM again, its a lot simpler and faster to just copy file into Skyrim folder. When NMM was released it was really smart and simple tool, but now it's just waste of time, broken tool that outlived its usefulness
itsapainfulworld wrote: "Q. Mods are now taking up double the space with this version of NMM. Why is this?

The short version: it's not.

The long version: we're using a system in Windows known as hardlinks and symlinks (depending on whether you install to different hard-drives or not, NMM picks the best one for the task). Essentially, these are shortcuts that your operating system uses to stop the duplication of data while still presenting data in multiple folders. For example, your "Documents" folder in windows uses a similar sort of shortcut.

Using this system, NMM installs your mods to a single folder you specify in the settings and then places shortcuts in your game folders pointing to where the mods actually are for the game you're using. The shortcuts in the mod folder look and act exactly how they would if the files themselves were in the mod folder, but they're not. This is what allows us to accommodate multiple profiles without continually installing and uninstalling mods, and in a quicker fashion than manually uninstalling and reinstalling the mods you want to use.

The folder will make it look as though the shortcuts are taking up a lot of space, but they aren't. If you use 1GB of mods then NMM will still only use 1GB of space, not 2GB of space like a quick check might show. The easiest way to test is to check your available hard-drive space. It won't have increased any more than before."

Either:

A. Read

Or

B. Cease trolling and leave.

@DanielMarley LOL. You have no clue what you're talking about.

@itsapainfulworld LOL. excellent response.

Everyone complaining about your system being borked. Two questions:

1.) Did you read the 4 news posts and the big read letters in the install process?

2.) Did you attempt to make any sort of backup? Saves, plugins, mods?

Because i'm starting to laugh at everyone that's complaining about how their install blew up.

I read everything and I'm still gaming as if nothing happened, with 3 new profiles utilizing the new feature. I've got 218 mods in NMM, roughly 174 to 183 active in the profiles. My only issue right now is everyone complaining at the NMM team, saying it's the team's fault. The truth of the matter is this, it's not their fault, it's yours and yours alone.

What was your answer to my second question? If it was a "yes" then the answer to question 1 was yes. If your answer to number 1 was no, then it's a highly likely to definitely that you didn't back anything up. Hence your fault, not anybody's at the NMM. This statement is backed up by the 4 news posts and the big red letters in the install process- which if you had read the posts, you would have known about.

In response to post #29032194.

Rsmirk wrote:

Is anyone else having a huge issue with Sky UI not installing? I received an error stating that something was wrong with my skse scripts so I reinstalled skse and now skyui won't install when I attempt to in the NMM window. I've attempted to start my game and I get a CTD before the intro screen is even done loading.

delete SKSE, uninstall and delete SkyUI and download fresh copies of both. install SKSE first, then SkyUI as I believe it requires SKSE to run.

the new version of Nexus Mad Manager will not log me in to nexus and will not download a mod. I logged into Nexus. I found to the file that I wanted and clicked on "download with manager link. The file shows up in the download list as paused and a new bow pops up that says "Wait for log in attempt". Ity then sits there and does nothing.

Overall this system actually works rather well. I haven't had any crashes installing mods to a profile, and its easier to use for overwriting textures than MO.

Though I noticed that when you have mods installed and create a new profile(on accident), it will put the mods on that new profile as well. Now this does create a problem. Your only option for deleting profiles appears to be "delete current profile" as of 60.9 that doesn't seem to mean it deactivates the mods for it as well. Now it has me set on "New Profile" with active plugins. Now when I try to switch profiles it will crash no matter what.

So things that need to done with this manager.(In my opinion)

1. Fix the bugs as they keep popping up(which seems to be happening already)

2. Make NMM large address aware to prevent crashing on installs for the bigger mods. (Granted its not hard to do manually after install.)

3. Work on a way to keep the save games with the profiles if its not already in the works.

With that said I'm going back to using MO. NMM has come a long way since when I started using it two years ago. Hope it keeps getting better.

Edited by H3llbAne

In response to post #29116569.

MDeckman wrote: Everyone complaining about your system being borked. Two questions:
1.) Did you read the 4 news posts and the big read letters in the install process?
2.) Did you attempt to make any sort of backup? Saves, plugins, mods?

Because i'm starting to laugh at everyone that's complaining about how their install blew up.

I read everything and I'm still gaming as if nothing happened, with 3 new profiles utilizing the new feature. I've got 218 mods in NMM, roughly 174 to 183 active in the profiles. My only issue right now is everyone complaining at the NMM team, saying it's the team's fault. The truth of the matter is this, it's not their fault, it's yours and yours alone.

What was your answer to my second question? If it was a "yes" then the answer to question 1 was yes. If your answer to number 1 was no, then it's a highly likely to definitely that you didn't back anything up. Hence your fault, not anybody's at the NMM. This statement is backed up by the 4 news posts and the big red letters in the install process- which if you had read the posts, you would have known about.

Your great contribution "GENIUS" .....

In response to post #29115579.

Tabub2001 wrote: Not sure how I feel about the condescending tone... Not like it's ever been any different. I'm sure the features are worth the trouble, though.

But new features for NMM seem less important in contrast with the way you and your "staff" (mods) conduct yourselves. This site has gotten big enough, in my opinion, to start acting professional. Just seems you guys are quick to chuck weird insults at people who are supposedly being childish (they might not be as familiar with the programs as you) and getting upset, the people that very well could be donating (you know, the donations you need to stay live). Haha, but your mods are even quicker to ban people, it would seem.

All in all, if the consumers aren't treated decent (and I'm not even one of those "the customer is always right" kinda guys), then a competitor who knows better could easily steal your traffic. The elitist club won't last very long, then, as it's the masses who are your staple.

Just my opiniooooon, don't go out and make a thread about how ignorant I am, please. ;)

Good comment. Nexus is behaving in a strange way with its users. Keep underestimating users, it is annoying to read their children's responses.
GOOGLE TRANSLATOR

Buen comentario. Nexus se está comportando de una forma extraña con sus usuarios. Sigan subestimando a los usuarios, es un fastidio hasta leer sus repuestas infantiles.
GOOGLE TRANSLATOR