Update on NMM version 0.60 and FAQ

Dark0ne

Just offering some hopefully helpful suggestions for the hardworking NMM team here.

0.6x is a completely different animal - in structure, in theory, in implemtation, and in usage. As such is really should be (should have been) a completely new offering (NMM2). In engineering, if you make major changes to form-fit-function, you create new part number/product offering/etc. I get the direction of the new software version, but it should not be offered as an "upgrade", and it certainly should not be hooked into the "check for new versions" piece of the 0.5x NMM releases.

The above specifically avoids all the undo pain being experienced by those users who either didn't know they were signing up for a nuke and replace, or did know and still experienced unrecoverable scenarios that nuked their install/mods.

Yes, backup, read, beta, etc.... still, this is the ideal roll-out path:

1) NMM 0.5x retired, no more updates (no prompts from the software, except to say you are now on a dead branch that isn't going to be updated)

2) NMM2 0.1x announced - is available as a SEPARATE install file, old 0.5x still there but with a note "this is the old version that we won't be updating/supporting any more". NNM2 installer, before it does anything presents big fat "don't install this unless you are ready to start from scratch, mkay? Totally different beast that will nuke your current setup, mkay?" click here if you are willing to start over from scratch > Got it, awesome... proceed...

General rule being that your user base varies from click-install-play people to hardcore codemonkey propeller head jockeys. It seems more than apparent in reading the forums and these posts that the chosen roll out strategy is suffering from not having created a new software offering and instead attempting an upgrade from Windows 95 to Linux. This has left all the click-install-play types nuked and pissed and feeling betrayed. Responding with "WTF RTFM!! ROFLMAO" just makes that situation worse.

My suggestion is to bite the bullet and rename NMM 0.6x to NMM2 and isolate the old NMM so its clearly in a different stream and can't be had unless you consciously choose it knowing it may nuke your stuffs.

That said - I thank you for all your hard work. I have learned so much using your software and it has extended my enjoyment of Skyrim literally for years. I will not be installing 0.6 because like soo many others my Skyrim setup is just the way I want it and I don't WANT to mess with it. for FO4 I MAY install the new one, but it will be a separate instance. Following points 1 and 2 above would make that a cleaner delineation.

Wishing you the best!! (Truly!)

• Replies 745
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am pretty grateful that I have caught the uninstall message during the installation process of NMM 0.6x. The way of TesEdit actually asking you to be sure in a brightly coloured window is a very good idea. Some of the Vegas installation process is something that I do not want to do ever again, especially since some of those contain personal edits, altered records and entries or are simply merged file edits, so reinstalling this would take like... months - if everything would go as intended. Needless to say that it wouldn't.

Good that I am making backups whenever I feel like I've reached a milestone with my modding.

For Skyrim, that wouldn't be a big thing reinstalling everything again, just the order in which you'd have to do it. I think this might be a problem of the automated systems incorporated in NMM, since some Mods are relying on other mods, and then some other programs like TesLod or TesEdit are doing their thing with bashed or merged patches afterwards.

Now I do have two questions: is it possible to "split" the uninstallation process for different games? Like I would be okay to reinstall my Skyrim mods, but for New Vegas this'd be off limits. So that when I was buying Fallout 4 and upgrade the NMM in the process I wouldn't loose my FNV mod structure.

€ To clarify: In NMM 0.5x, you can choose which games should be supported. Enabling a similar system prior to the installation process would save a lot of hassle. Should someone change his or her mind about said game later, initiate an un/installation process on activating the game.

Second, I would like to know where I can find the changelog without upgrading. Clicking on the " Download NMM" link in the top bar does show nothing about it, though I would suggest you keep a link there. It'd make tracking the status and changes of NMM much easier.

So, thanks for your time and work, greatly appreciate what the nexus has become in the past, and I hope that you will continue your work in the future.

Edited by Excea

In response to post #29077084.

Tony1l wrote: after using NMM 0.5.3 beta decided to upgrade to the new version, all 62 of my Skyrim mods were loaded with NMM 0.5.3 from Nexus website but the new version imported only 6 of them. Shame on the developers... luckily still had the original NMM setup file and when back to using it again, SkyUII was borked, multiple other issues, but spent a couple of hours reading forums posts and fixing them.

TLDR: Updated NMM after years of using the same version, couldn't have gone worse so reinstalled old version. I will still use Nexus for mods but avoiding all future updates to NMM.

shame on the developers? lol'd Edited by Azulyn

In response to post #29050249.

Ilidari wrote:

i personally tought of donating attleast 2 dollars for you guys , but you know i may not be a professional modder but i had the game running just fine with 106 mods for atleast 4-12 hours before i could get a crash but after the update , only 6 mods were activated and now im trying to put it all back together because your stupid backup tool dint work for me , so here i am now trying to restore back 106 mods not to mention i have to do them orderly because of the conflicts betwen them , thank god i screenshot the mods so now atleast i know what mods i have but in order to put it all back together , that requires work , HOURS of work and im a working man with a steady jobs and dont really have the time to WASTE on your screw ups .... so yeah f*** YOU ! all those insult , rage and death threats you guys deserve it and im not gonna donate s*** for you guys .

RTFM comes to mind, and I think the site is better off without you full stop so keep your money. Micalov.

Please get over yourself
It'll be nice to seeing some of you more trollish, whiners being banned into Oblivion. Edited by Azulyn

Hmm, I'm getting rumblings of an actual windows directory nesting limit for its hardlinks and symlinks which is likely the root of many of the install hijinks. I stopped updating at .6 and am seriously considering redacting back to 56 since removals and uninstalls are still not reliable. I was trying to go up to Racemenu 3 yesterday and it dropped 2 of the 3 ESP files (I replaced mimic and plugin too, but the main recemenu esp didn't get replaced in the data folder at all) When I did it again 5 minutes later it worked fine and this time my game didn't CTD at the menu. :) The problem is made harder to detect when seemingly random texture or mesh files out of large scripted mods suddenly disappear.

There are endless bug reports similar or I'd have made another one..... Any way.... Have you got a backup plan in case this windows filelink idea can't be forced to fit your model?

I'm getting ready to pull a major reconfiguration for my next runthrough and could use a bit of guidance as to maybe waiting a bit more or just going back to the old way.

Edited by geknight

In response to post #29024339.

thestormofwar wrote: Being forced to download the last version prior of NMM the 0.6 series. They've gotten progressively buggier with uninstalling mods to the point where it doesn't do it anymore. Tried to post several tracelogs in several different ways, and the site just times out.

Pity. Please fix this sh*t. And yes, I've donated to this site.

oh wow
you've donated
do you want a cookie? does donating entitle you to something? seriously you people are hilarious

In response to post #29050249. #29081899 is also a reply to the same post.

Ilidari wrote:

i personally tought of donating attleast 2 dollars for you guys , but you know i may not be a professional modder but i had the game running just fine with 106 mods for atleast 4-12 hours before i could get a crash but after the update , only 6 mods were activated and now im trying to put it all back together because your stupid backup tool dint work for me , so here i am now trying to restore back 106 mods not to mention i have to do them orderly because of the conflicts betwen them , thank god i screenshot the mods so now atleast i know what mods i have but in order to put it all back together , that requires work , HOURS of work and im a working man with a steady jobs and dont really have the time to WASTE on your screw ups .... so yeah f*** YOU ! all those insult , rage and death threats you guys deserve it and im not gonna donate s*** for you guys .

RTFM comes to mind, and I think the site is better off without you full stop so keep your money. Micalov.

Azulyn wrote: Please get over yourself
It'll be nice to seeing some of you more trollish, whiners being banned into Oblivion.

get a life its a modding community not the end of the world you 12 year old sheesh wishing death upon someone just because you poor game broke wow get a life

Simple solution: Use Mod Organizer Kappa

On a serious note. Awesome job to the devs over at Nexus for trying to make a great update for Nexus Mod Manager! Must be hard work and lots of problems.

Ignore the haters and keep on keeping on.

Edited by DeCiWolf