[WIPz] Fallout 4 Script Extender (F4SE)

behippo

• Replies 717
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've tried everything but I simply cannot get my saves to work properly with this new version, and looking around this site... and many others... a LOT of people are having the exact same problem. Since it IS working for so many people, I am sure its just a conflict, but we can't seem to narrow it down (some people have been able to fix issues by deleting certain mods, but neither of the ones mentioned did that for me). I am at loss.

When the F4 'patch' first came out I was one of the earliest to get it (unfortunately). My game just would not run after that. I rolled back my exe and everything worked fine... for two days. Then I got the update again (it back-doored me when I was testing something*), and decided it was time to accept the patch since a newer version of F4SE was out (along with patches to a couple of my other mods to work with the newest F4SE).

Here's the thing - the activity my game is showing - the inability to save any data gotten from mods - is nearly identical to what was happening before I rolled back the executable for the game. Thus, if Steam did 'do something' (read below), then perhaps whatever that 'thing' is wasn't removed by Steam. I know this sounds like a conspiracy theory, but a LOT of people are having this problem, and if you extrapolate it outward to how many would be having the problem if the game was just released, and people were all still playing it constantly - the numbers, I am sure, would be in the tens of thousands (many people just don't realize they can't play it anymore - everyday I see new posts on forums that say, "Hey! I updated F4SE and now my game doesn't work!"). Thus, as time goes on, the magnitude of the problem will become more apparent. And yes, I've tried every single thing I can possibly think of and have read everywhere, multiple times, including reinstalling F4SE, both ways (drag&drop and an actual install via MM2). My game loses all mod-related data that is not from Bethesda.net (because oddly, the few mods I have that are from there but NOT CC content are functioning normally - its only the ones not downloaded through Bethesda that are getting 'forgotten').

Oh, and I only have the problem if I try to start F4SE through MM2, as I have always done. If I start F4SE directly using its executable, it will run fine, but I won't have any of my non-Bethesda mods installed. NONE OF THEM. Its like MM2 and F4SE can't see each other. The only thing I haven't done is change the start-icon in MM2 itself, because the F4SE has the same name (exe) no matter what version it is, and I assume it is finding the new one (the old one isn't even there any more, of course). If I am wrong about that, that could be everyone's problem right there, but I have no way of knowing how to delete the shortcut and make it come back (I believe it did this automatically when I first installed F4SE). Even if I remove F4SE completely, the shortcut remains in the MM2 menu (apparently pointing to nothing... unless its secretly cached somewhere I don't know about).

*I still showed the old .exe., but the game just wouldn't run. According to the Steam forums, if the game knows there is a newer version and you aren't running it - and Steam is ALWAYS running in the background, even when you aren't aware of it - Steam will 'interfere' with your playing of the game until you accept the update.

Thats absolutely true, simply because we would not have needed a new version of F4SE and everything connected to it had that 'update' (micro-charge greedy cash-grab) come out. But at this point, whatever Bethesda did on their end, lots of people are still able to play, and the new F4SE is working for them. I think its a compatibility issue, perhaps even between F4SE and MM2 (are non-MM2 users also having the problem?) Because if they are, then that shoots my theory in the foot.

But lets just ignore MM2 right now. I am supposed to be able to start F4SE right from its own loader (exe), but when I do that, it will NOT load any mods that didn't come from Bethesda.net (CC or not). Thus I am right back here, to this app. It HAS TO BE flawed. Its in the correct folder, yet not seeing any of the mods there? But if I start F4SE through MM2 the mods are all there - it just forgets any data acquired from them from previous saves (so basically, they all start loading in again, and I have so many it takes a few minutes, with all the "<such-N-such> has started" quest popups.

Someone who has been trying to help my pointed me to a 'permissions' thing that sometimes F4 has with antivirus software, so when I checked all that i realized my folders were once-again saying they were 'read-only', so of course I thought I found the problem again. I discovered something called 'ownership' on folders, and when I tried to set that I need to be the admin (on my own home-comp that no-one else uses). So I logged onto my machine as the admin for the first time, and still couldn't change the read-only status. I WAS able to change the ownership to my regular user profile, though. So then I did a bit more research and found out in Windows 10 'admin' doesn't really mean that anymore. It seems little Billy Gates & Co. got tired of tech-support and decided no-one should be able to really make changes to their machine. Unless you have your system configured right (and most don't), the settings Microsoft wants your computer to have will revert every time you boot up! Even if you changed them while logged on as the Administrator!

So I finally found a tech-savvy post and found that the only real way to enter the true Admin is to use a command line prompt! That there is something you can type in which gives true admin status to YOU (as admin), rather than Microsoft. THEN you can go on as Admin and reset ownership of the folders to your user profile, and THEN go to the folders and change it to 'writable'. So after doing ALL that and finally having my folders set correctly... nothing. The game still runs the same. Or rather, doesn't run... with mods.

And THEN I found-out that after the last major update to windows 10, that the folder permissions were probably fine all along - Microsoft decided it would be best if they left the folder permissions saying read-only, even if they weren't. I kid you not. What it says its completely meaningless anymore. Straight from their own website. After pushing so hard in the late 90's for PCs to become THE gaming platform (which is why they created DirectX), I guess they now have decided everyone should just use computers for business and do their gaming on Xbox. {sigh}

On the bright side, Bethesda isn't my favorite corporation to hate today. :D

I found a folder on my 'C;' drive under F4SE that has a list of all the mods F4SE DOES load, but not the ones it doesn't... hmmmm. What is supposed to be updating this list?

Its in C:\Users\<user name>\Documents\My Games\Fallout4\F4SE

If F4SE is supposed to be updating this list, instead its simply copying the list in Steam (which only contains the Bethesda.net mods). I think I may have found the problem. Put this together with a related (updated recently to F4SE) bug reported by Vortex users - that Vortex was telling them to "change their mod staging folder". F4SE isn't seeing people's mods! Its only seeing whatever is in that folder, which its deriving from Steam, rather than Vortex or MM2!!!

If you start F4SE within MM2 (and probably Vortex or NMM), your mods may or may not work, but your saves will be broken. My games runs fine that way, it just won't save any data derived from mods not on that list.

• 3 months later...

my F4se is outdadet, it says my game is 1.10.130 and expected version is 1.10.120

anyone else?

PS: I have the latest version of this site

https://f4se.silverlock.org/

It is probably a mod giving that message and not the game itself. Two of my mods give that message, but the game starts anyway since the mods are not really necessary. I think one was Looks Menu and the other was Mod Config Menu.