Deobfuscate the .swf files aka UI modding...a start

Mofakin

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

pretty sure its cuz you guys are editing the HUD files and not the actual files that control the key actions... tho idk if they would/did set it up like that

AFAICT the SWF menu files *do* control the keys used in those menus, and can override the other changes you make in the control map they encoded into the executable.

Someday some gaming archaeologist will create a novel theory as to why someone would do this, and have a good laugh.

As was said above, they just assigned keys to the console buttons. This isn't a bad console port, a bad port implies it was ported. With the binding problems, lack of support for multiple GPUs and various aspect ratios, it's pretty clear it wasn't ported at all.

pretty sure its cuz you guys are editing the HUD files and not the actual files that control the key actions... tho idk if they would/did set it up like that

AFAICT the SWF menu files *do* control the keys used in those menus, and can override the other changes you make in the control map they encoded into the executable.

Someday some gaming archaeologist will create a novel theory as to why someone would do this, and have a good laugh.

As was said above, they just assigned keys to the console buttons. This isn't a bad console port, a bad port implies it was ported. With the binding problems, lack of support for multiple GPUs and various aspect ratios, it's pretty clear it wasn't ported at all.

Yeah, I feel the same. It displays like a incompetent makeshift work born out of lazyness. The evidence is there...quite disappointing it is... :sad:

By locking the keys down Bethesda just said "go f*** yourself" to their customers.

I wouldn't phrase it so tough...but yeah, basically that's what they've done.

Who said I've limited my efforts to one file? I've been through all of them to get a better understanding.

However, I won't give up on this. I recommend to use this russian dialogue Mod and english translation for the time being. It at least fixes anything inside dialogue trees. Today I'm trying to make something similar in the workshop and favorite menu files. We'll see. There's more tools around. I also try to make a complete useable source for one of the smaller .swf files as a starting point.

Btw. recompiling the CursorMenu.swf has been done with CS6, using FlashPlayer 9.0 and ActionScript 3.0, in case anyone is interested. Worked without problems. It has been decompiled with Sothink. I make the fact, that only one .fla and one .as file was included inside the .swf, responsible for working recompiliation. I had no luck with a file as large as the MainMenu.swf.

I just wanted to add my two cents to this thread. For days i have been trying to figure out how to reliably edit any action scripts for interface files and after much failure have ended up with manually editing the bytecode for each file inside JPEXS. Obviously editing the scripts directly causes fallout 4 to crash but for some reason editing bytecode works.

They main annoyance in this is actually learning how to write bytecode, but so far i have actually finished the small UI mod i wanted to make.

Small side note, if anyone finds a way to explore objects like list entries and all the class members they have, that would help a lot. I have made a mod to put the search magnified glass icon next to each note or holotape in your inventory and have made it with actually checking the strings for those words because i cannot find any class members like "entry.isHolotape" or "entry.isNote".

I just wanted to add my two cents to this thread. For days i have been trying to figure out how to reliably edit any action scripts for interface files and after much failure have ended up with manually editing the bytecode for each file inside JPEXS. Obviously editing the scripts directly causes fallout 4 to crash but for some reason editing bytecode works.

They main annoyance in this is actually learning how to write bytecode, but so far i have actually finished the small UI mod i wanted to make.

Small side note, if anyone finds a way to explore objects like list entries and all the class members they have, that would help a lot. I have made a mod to put the search magnified glass icon next to each note or holotape in your inventory and have made it with actually checking the strings for those words because i cannot find any class members like "entry.isHolotape" or "entry.isNote".

I assume not anything is achieved via .swf files. There are various .pex scripts related to menus. I'm sure you'll find something inside. But since we do not have tools to recompile scripts yet, it doesn't make sense at all.

I've been trying to edit the holotape games since seeing this Doom for the Pip Boy mod; it seems like the same problem as the rest of the ui files, I don't have a way to recompile them. I'm able to swap images out from the decompiler but that's it. Does anyone know if it's possible to decompile these into fla's I can edit in flash (or maybe scaleform)?

I've been trying to edit the holotape games since seeing this Doom for the Pip Boy mod; it seems like the same problem as the rest of the ui files, I don't have a way to recompile them. I'm able to swap images out from the decompiler but that's it. Does anyone know if it's possible to decompile these into fla's I can edit in flash (or maybe scaleform)?

Decompile it with JPEXS or Sothink. But you probably can't recompile any of the vanilla files without source, except of the CursorMenu.swf.

However, since the pipboy games are standalone flash files, you could just create a custom game and then replace one of the program .swf's with your version. That's what they guy of the mod you posted did.

During conversation with an NPC, some options are in yellow, orange, or red (like when talking to Codsworth right after you get out of the vault).

If you choose one of those options and you're skill check is successful, the XP meter shows up and a Vault Boy animation plays down and to the right of the bar. I can't seem to find where that animation is in hudmenu.swf.

Does anyone have any idea what sprite is involved, or what is playing that animation?

Decompile it with JPEXS or Sothink. But you probably can't recompile any of the vanilla files without source, except of the CursorMenu.swf.

However, since the pipboy games are standalone flash files, you could just create a custom game and then replace one of the program .swf's with your version. That's what they guy of the mod you posted did.

Honestly I expected that just loading in a random .swf wouldn't work so I hadn't tried it yet, but it seems like it does. I exported one at the same resolution as the other in-game ones (826x700) and it seems to load fine. The DOOM mod that I posted seemed to be pretty much just the normal Red Menace game with a few images swapped in, so I figured it'd be more complicated.

During conversation with an NPC, some options are in yellow, orange, or red (like when talking to Codsworth right after you get out of the vault).

If you choose one of those options and you're skill check is successful, the XP meter shows up and a Vault Boy animation plays down and to the right of the bar. I can't seem to find where that animation is in hudmenu.swf.

Does anyone have any idea what sprite is involved, or what is playing that animation?

It could be anywhere, but I think it's inside the DialogueMenu.swf.

Honestly I expected that just loading in a random .swf wouldn't work so I hadn't tried it yet, but it seems like it does. I exported one at the same resolution as the other in-game ones (826x700) and it seems to load fine. The DOOM mod that I posted seemed to be pretty much just the normal Red Menace game with a few images swapped in, so I figured it'd be more complicated.

Well, a lot of things are possible at the moment with enough patience and passion. But why break your head over things you could do much more decently once a source is available? A fix for the key rebinding has been forwarded, so this pretty much negelcts any efforts to do it via .swf files and thus neglecting any other effort on my side, except making source available.