ℹ️ Intermittent Download History issues ×

Barely 3 hours in and I'm thinking of waiting for the mods

vram1974

My guess would be that Bugthesda are being sly ... They are "testing the waters" so to speak, and the fact that they have actually told us when they will be releasing the GECK for it, they are seeing how many people but their game now, knowing there aren't any serious mods or bug fixes, how many PC vs Console players buy their game, now that Console players can use mods too, How long people play the "un-modded" variant of the game for etc.

This will give them the info they need to decide what DLC's they should release, when and for how much, and most importantly how they'll go about handling mods - Will they be free? Will there be a "paid" mod category depending on arbitrary rules? Will they be DRM'd? How much restriction will they put on the content of them?

Kinda, but it's more like paid mods are almost DLC, but not quite. The distinctions are important, IMO. DLC contractually obligates the company upon purchase to provide a certain amount of technical support and patching for a certain amount of time. Paid mods offer no-such guarantee. DLC is also guaranteed to work with all other DLC, meaning as part of their agreement they'll keep patching for fixes regarding content I may or may not even have. Paid mods offer no-such guarantee, and would probably not be able to do it even if they wanted too.

To be honest, I was thinking the same thing during these past couple of days. This game needs mods more than FO4 or NV ever did. I also agree with the statement that Skyrim was a huge leap from Oblivion, but FO4 isn't that big of a leap from FO3/NV. Sure, updated engine, but overall gameplay doesn't feel terribly different. I'm still enjoying the game of course, I just want more something.

I wouldn't necessarily wait for mods, it'll be sometime in 2016 before the Geck is released and another several months before anything significant gets released. While some of the major faults may get worked out in time, But when you play with a modded game you won't really appreciate or know what mods are actually good to play with when you havn't played through the game previously in its vanilla state. You'd probably want to do a new playthrough at a much later when all the DLC are released, so it is often best to do your modded playthrough then.