Who are you voting for?

kvnchrist

I don't think the Hillary campaign got the memo that radical 3rd wave feminists have alienated Millennial women.

In other news, Snake Oil Ted is up to his tricks again, stating that baby boy Rubio has dropped out of the Florida race and that voting for him is a waste of time.

• Replies 439
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bernie win Michigan , thats a big state win. Of course the media will spin it that Hillary is so far ahead it doesn't matter , but thats a lie . Hillary has 1221 delegates of which 461 are superdelegates , so she actually only has 760 in delegates that voted for her. Bernie has 571 delegates of which 25 are superdelegates , leaving him with 546 dlegates that actually voted for him. Thats not Hillary being inevitable thats a close race. What Michigan shows is that Hillary is weaker in non deep south states than Bernie is, and except for a few deep south states still to go , its Bernie who is moving into states that are more favorable to his message. Its not garanteed but the lay of the land politically speaking could be tilting in his favor. Strangely enough this is the exact same thing that happened to Hillary back when she ran against Obama.

But unlike Obama the DNC establishment will never let Bernie win if its close , thats what superdelegates are for , the most undemocratic thing about the democratic party.

If those superdelegates are what swings the nomination to Hillary, it will cost the Democratic party a lot of members. They will see it as the nomination was stolen by the elites running the DNC. Most those lost members will not go over to the Republican side, they will become independent and start voting for the individual candidates instead of whoever is the Democrat. (This may be a good thing) The current polls say that Hillary would lose to Trump in the general election, but Sanders would beat Trump. Then we have the possibility of the Dem nominee being indited for flagrant security violations making this the wackiest election yet.

Personally I would like a re deal. And an entirely new bunch of candidates. The current bunch are all unqualified or certifiably insane.

I'm not sure precisely what a hung Parliament is. As I understand it, the Prime minister is kind of the equivalent of the US president. But is not elected directly but appointed by the party winning the majority of seats.

While in the US, we really are not voting for the president directly ( that is a very common misconception), but the general election we are really voting for the electors that will be the members of what is called the electoral college. We usually don't really know who these mysterious electors are, but based on the result of the general election, each candidate gets a certain number appointed to the college (based on the total number of senators plus representatives by state) , that are theoretically (but in reality not always ) promised to vote for a specific candidate. Supposedly the electors will cast their vote several weeks after the general election ( the real presidential election) for the candidate they supposedly represent - but some states allow them to vote for whomever they please, meaning a close election can go against the popular vote, and it has done that in the past.

California has the most electors with 55, several states have the minimum of 3. The number needed to win is 270.

In some states, if an elector doesn't vote the way he is supposed to he can be replaced or even prosecuted. In others there is nothing they can do to them.

If you watch the US election news, you will see they are counting not just votes, but the number of electors from each state as well. And it's those electors that really decide the presidency not the popular vote. Yup, it's confusing even to us US citizens. I think the politicians like it to be confusing and obscure to keep the sheep in line.

There has been a lot of noise lately about doing away with the electoral college and using the direct vote to decide the president. But I really don't expect much to come of this, as the politicians like the way it is as they get to appoint the electors kind of as a political perk for a loyal long time party member. It probably pays well also.

The potential situation you described before sounds somewhat similar to a hung parliament, which essentially means there is no clear winner (or just not clear enough) and then the different 'factions' have to form an 'alliance' in order to convince everyone it'll work.

The setup sounds familiar, except of course the terminology and institutions are different (yeah we also have a Monarchy, but that boat is rocking and I'm not sure it will necessarily continue being worth the paper it is written on laugh.gif). People here are also campaigning for electoral reform exactly the way you describe it, and again the lack of traction is for the very same reasons.

If those superdelegates are what swings the nomination to Hillary, it will cost the Democratic party a lot of members. They will see it as the nomination was stolen by the elites running the DNC. Most those lost members will not go over to the Republican side, they will become independent and start voting for the individual candidates instead of whoever is the Democrat. (This may be a good thing) The current polls say that Hillary would lose to Trump in the general election, but Sanders would beat Trump. Then we have the possibility of the Dem nominee being indited for flagrant security violations making this the wackiest election yet.

Personally I would like a re deal. And an entirely new bunch of candidates. The current bunch are all unqualified or certifiably insane.

I always thought there should be a 'none of the above' option on the ballot, and if nota won, all the candidates would go home, and we would start over again. :)

The Republican establishment is in full meltdown over Trump's success. The neoconservative wing is so mad, that many have stated they'd vote for Hillary Clinton over Trump if he's the nominee. The RINOs are effectively getting ejected from the party by the Republican base. Their last ditch effort is going to be to try to screw Trump out of the nomination with a brokered convention. Marco Rubio isn't even serious about winning anymore and he's said he's sticking around just to try to keep Trump from getting 1237 delegates. He's the biggest butthurt queen in politics that I've ever seen. He's losing laughably badly in his home state of Florida. Looking at the polls in Ohio, Trump isn't far behind Kasich. Its close enough to still be in play.

Trump takes Florida, Kasich wins Ohio and Cruiz gets cut off at the knees in both states. He'll be dead in the water and Kasich will close the gap, while the gap between Trump and Cruiz widens. There will be a brokered convention no matter what, but Cruiz getting clobbered in two big states will hurt his chances and his ego.

I heard today that Carson is going to endorse Trump. That will only pick up a few percentage points for him, though Carson will be one more feather in Trump's war bonnet.