How come noone cleaned up the mess in 200 years?

NonameFTW

One of the best things Bethesda can do is build worlds. They are masters in environmental storytelling. One problem I had though while roaming through the commonwealth is that I often couldn't believe the stories they were trying to tell.

It's been 200 years and the stuff I experience doesn't make much sense to me.

Biggest problem: Skeletons. Skeletons everywhere. Aside from the fact that you wouldn't be able to find a intact skeletons like you see in so many games (what holds the bones together ?!) I also had the problem that I couldn't believe that they were there. Some findings do make sense I admit (Pretty much everything in an empty vault), but when i find a whole gang of raiders in another vault together with a bunch of skeletons I ask myself: How come that none cleaned up this mess in 200 years? They must be here for atleast weeks. They did set up defences!

It's not purely skeletons but everything seems so frozen in place just so that the writers/artists can say to us: "Hey look what story I created which happened back exactly in 2077. And I can assure you in all of the 200 years nones ever been here!".

Also the amount of scrap I find is just unreal. It's not like the apocalypse happened a year ago. And I know you can't explain every tin-can in a shelf. But the fact that I find working terminals with story in memory from 210 years ago in every other building is just awfully convenient to me.

Btw I'm not hating or anything. I love exploring the commonwealth. I just wanted to hear what you think about it.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I find it rather absurd that it was 2077 when the bomb dropped, the Radio is pretty clearly not manually DJed at all hours (you can walk into Travis's house and talk to him, and hear him DJing Diamond City radio while he's clearly not doing that.), which means he has the ability to set up a playlist and audio files (since there's no way you could do that with just the records... which by the way, I've never SEEN a record in a Fallout Game, and if they expect you to think that, Travis's trailer should be FULL OF THEM.)

But somehow NO MUSIC WAS CREATED between 1950 and 2077, and apparently no one created any NEW music in 200 years either. Really?! Somehow culture and entertainment just STOPPED being made, and it doesn't make any sense to me. People wouldn't just stagnate, somehow, someway, people would find a way to make new music and entertainment.

I find it rather absurd that it was 2077 when the bomb dropped, the Radio is pretty clearly not manually DJed at all hours (you can walk into Travis's house and talk to him, and hear him DJing Diamond City radio while he's clearly not doing that.), which means he has the ability to set up a playlist and audio files (since there's no way you could do that with just the records... which by the way, I've never SEEN a record in a Fallout Game, and if they expect you to think that, Travis's trailer should be FULL OF THEM.)

But somehow NO MUSIC WAS CREATED between 1950 and 2077, and apparently no one created any NEW music in 200 years either. Really?! Somehow culture and entertainment just STOPPED being made, and it doesn't make any sense to me. People wouldn't just stagnate, somehow, someway, people would find a way to make new music and entertainment.

I've actually never seen Travis yet. Bu I guess that's also an odd thing yeah.

Fallout was about rebuilding, it pays a big part in the first two games and to a lesser extent in New Vegas. The problem is Bethesda don't understand Fallout, that was obvious from FO3.

That doesn't explain though why they didn't implement the environmental stories with more logic.

Because no one cares about said place.

Why would I clean a place that I only wanted some junk, aid and food from?

"Dame, this house is so dame dirty! Better clean the dirt and trash before heading to the next town, even though I will never use it again!"

Biggest problem: Skeletons. Skeletons everywhere. Aside from the fact that you wouldn't be able to find a intact skeletons like you see in so many games (what holds the bones together ?!

Clothing and maybe people?

I found what seems like some "sets." have been set up by people, as one can see blow in the screenshots I took while exploring.

http://i.imgur.com/IFekjHL.jpg?1

http://i.imgur.com/WyphkGV.jpg?1

Most of the people are just awakening. Apart from that, population has never reproduced its quantity to the one before war, so how would you manage to clean all places? And why would anybody have interest in it, if they can barely keep themselfs alive?

I find it weird at least in settlements that no one after any in-game time manages to fix anything. Why does no one know how to use the hundreds of loot brooms, Abraxo Cleaners and soap in Diamond City? It's been a city for like 150 years. Guards have cool weapon and armor, there are restaurants and even a mayor, science labs made surgeons after all. But with all of that time, no one swept a broom anywhere? They practice surgery in such filth and everyone survives? LOL
I would understand that unsecured city areas would be rundown, but not Diamond City or the settlements after some time.

We can make sci-fi impossible armor mods but the people sleep on used mattress without even the slightest cover...

We have a settler in sanctuary that knows how to repair anything and is crafty as hell (there is backstory in terminals in Quincy, so the game acknowledges that) but he slams a hammer at a ruined house for the rest of the game without doing anything. (I'm level 41 with about 80 hours in). Why doesn't he have a quest to repair maybe not to 100% pre-war standard, but better than savage raider camps? The game even has models but refused to make them available... Will we see a Hearthfire type DLC? I sure hope so.

Even with the mags, we can only build broken picket fences... because? That's a pre-war schematic for the pristine white fences that used to be there, isn't it?

I find it weird at least in settlements that no one after any in-game time manages to fix anything. Why does no one know how to use the hundreds of loot brooms, Abraxo Cleaners and soap in Diamond City? It's been a city for like 150 years. Guards have cool weapon and armor, there are restaurants and even a mayor, science labs made surgeons after all. But with all of that time, no one swept a broom anywhere? They practice surgery in such filth and everyone survives? LOL

I would understand that unsecured city areas would be rundown, but not Diamond City or the settlements after some time.

We can make sci-fi impossible armor mods but the people sleep on used mattress without even the slightest cover...

I agree on that one and it's actually something I hope that gets implemented into the game in the future by mod or DLC. The houses of Sanctuary are actually an hindrance because you can't improve them. Having a way to improve something would be cool. To have something that is worth defending. The Brotherhood flies with a big airship and such through the sky but people are unable to renovate some houses to the point they look normal again? I mean of course that doesn't happen in the first maybe even 50 years but hey they got by for so long now and it's kinda time to start rebuilding something.

Of course it's not gonna look like in 2077 but making a bit of cement and putting some bricks ontop of each other isn't rocket science. They have automatic defenses. F'ing turrets that automatically shoot at hostiles!

The song "Wanderer" by Dion was released in 1961, that's after the lore reality split, so they were flexible because of the lyrics. I agree that there is a century of relative affordable hi-technology before the war that we miss entirely... We have holotapes from before the war, so why did no-one use them to store music for radio-stations that seem to use 250 year old unscratched vinyls that somehow survived the melting heat of the bombs...

Actually Goodneighbor is of particular cultural importance, there is Magnolia, a musician voiced by Lynda Carter of Wonder Woman fame sings many new songs. Those songs were composed for the game. But I guess a budget to create all new radio-type songs is steep so the game makes you listen to old quirky atomical age 1940's music. Because it's a weird experience to listen to enthusiast songs about nuclear energy in the context of post-nuclear wasteland. This era of music is dissonant, a musical uncanny valley and it is perfect for the game. Even the happy songs are creepy in the context of Fallout 4. That's genius!

They talked about the song "Goog Neighbor' on the Bethesda site. It's quite good if you ask me and it's kinda sexy lyrics with references to Diamond City and "I do the boys a favor with all my manual labor, it's good to be a good good neighbor". Link:

So yeah new music was made in the wasteland, I just imagine that recording material is scarce and making copies for radio distribution is hard. Especially with a world so dangerous, not impossible many musicians were killed before their new songs were recorded or popularized. In Fallout 4 Magnolia sings in heavily guarded Goodneighbor, protected from the raiders. :D

Also how do you take time to learn music and restore musical instruments when no-one knows how to use a broom even if they are everywhere! XD

Edited by TwilightOne

I think it makes sense that they don't bother to clean.

I mean in the world how it is shown in Fallout 4 you basically have to be ready to abandon your hideout at any minute.

Raiders, Super Mutants, Synths and Settlers are fighting each other over the scarce resources that are left.

Not to mention the Brotherhood that just arrived.

It's a constant cat and mouse.

Sure, diamond city may be an exception.

But then again in theory even diamond city could be attacked by a massive group.