Do you think vanilla Skyrim will look as good as modded Oblivion?

SushiRush

Apples and oranges.

You can't really compare the two for a number of reasons. Vanilla Skyrim will be static. Once it's off the presses, it's not going to get any better than it already is. Oblivion mods however are continuing to come out and will continue to do so for years to come, I am sure. And someday, if that day hasn't already come, Oblivion mods will surpass Skyrim, though I wonder how much of the original game will still be left when that happens.

Another reason you can't compare them is because Vanilla Skyrim will outperform Oblivion modded to skyrim-tier graphics on the same machine. This is true of Morrowind, and will likely be true of Oblivion. When you start to consider frame rates, you'll see that the answer becomes less cut and dry.

But if you are comparing a maxed out Oblivion at 100 fps, with future mods that help rocks look less boxy, and redone scenery to help Oblivion look more scenic, better bodies, better faces, more voices, godrays, etc etc etc... versus Skyrim running on max settings at 100 fps, what will look better? Probably Oblivion, but at that point it's not even a fair competition, and the winner's prize is pretty much nothing.

And I agree with the above poster, I'd rather play Super Mario World any day rather than Super Mario Sunshine. Graphics do not make the game. I think discussions like this push developers to put too much emphasis on graphics. :happy:

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that vanilla skyrim will be better then modded oblivion, from what i read the scenery is breathtaking, the draw distance had been greatly improved and there is better care for details.

The trailer was made on an xbox and if i recall correctly the visuals of the pc will be greatly improved.

Another thing, in a moded oblivion the player lose a lot of fps, body mods, better water, better LOD, draw distance (TES4LODgen+RAVED) can significantly reduce fps and so on.

Making the game stunningly beautifully can reduce FPS to a crawl making it almost unplayable.

Edited by rhinala70

Remember, Guys, that Bethesda based the look of Fallout: New Vegas of the mods they had seen in Fallout 3! My best bet is that the guys at Bethesda game studios are always takin' a peak at what mods users rate the best for Oblivion. For example, OOO and OBGE features will probably already be in Skyrim!

I remember, with Fallout 3, the RH Iron Sights mod was amazing, everyone loved it, so Bethesda put Iron Sights into vanilla New Vegas. Hopefully they're planning on putting all the best Oblivion mods into vanilla Skyrim. :biggrin:

(except Morrowind 2011, but he was very talented)

No 'he' wasn't. He just made a compilation of other people's work, and not even a particularly good one at that.

Here's a good MW mod compilation, for those who can't be bothered to do things themselves.

Edited by Povuholo

Theres been talk regarding TW2 "raising the bar" (on DX9 !?). Preorder/week 1 sales of TW2 is bound to get the industry's attention (400k), and Skyrim's RTM date is just far enough in the future for Bethesda to perform a fair amount of last minute tweaking. Looking at the trailers, I'd say Skyrim is already in the neighborhood (of TW2). We'll probably never know if a utterly fantastic looking Skyrim was due to its own or influenced by CDPR. If Skyrim runs DX11, the potential to far exceed TW2 is possible if you have the rig. If Skyrim looks "bad"...well, no point in talking about that unless it actually were to be the case (which I doubt).