Do you think vanilla Skyrim will look as good as modded Oblivion?

SushiRush

With my new computer with a radeon video card I think Skyrim will look awesome. Comparing Oblivion, modded or vanila, to Skyrim is like comparing Oblivion and Morrowind. I For me the graphics in vanila Morrowind fit the scenario and I felt the same about Oblivion. Individual tastes vary and having playing for a few years seeing the same thing gets boring. I did add a few mods to enhance or change the scenery. One of the first and earliest was 'Better imperfect Waters' I didn't like the murky water. The climate didn't bother me as the Oblivion Gates would have messed up the natural climate.

From what I have seen of screenshots I think Skyrim will be breath taking until I have played it for a year or so and started taking it for granted. :) Bethesda spokes persons have said that they have made the scenery so that you have good vistas but surprises as you move along. They do check out the popular mods and listen to players. A lot has from mods has been incorporated into Skyrim and I am sure this includes the scenery and enviroment. I understand that snow will accumulate. This will be a nice feature especially since Skyrim is a very cold climate.

The important thing is how the game plays. Good graphics are important but only if the overall game is good.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

However, if you compare how both games look in motion, then Skyrim wins hands down. As you said, just look at the trailer ;)

pretty much. Animation, character, lighting... so many categories are getting owned by Skyrim.

Not to mention ALL the skyrim footage is shown on the Xbox(whihc will ship with lower res textures) and isn't even HD. they usually use some low res and scale it to 720. f*** that, wait till you get me on my PC version of Skyrim at 1080. :dance:

Edited by Ghogiel

Thank you, Ghogiel. When I posted on of Beth's picture Elsiwyr someone compared it to a user taken picture from another game taken on high or ultra resolution. I can now explain why the Skyrim picture is not quite as good. :(

Thank you, Ghogiel. When I posted on of Beth's picture Elsiwyr someone compared it to a user taken picture from another game taken on high or ultra resolution. I can now explain why the Skyrim picture is not quite as good. :(

Not all games mind you, a few that aren't trying to squeeze the xbox for all it is worth.. but many do use something as small as a 1024 by 600 frame buffer, then it is just scaled to 720, And I have heard of weird goofy resolutions to ie 960x540 and such. Halo, CoD, etc are all using something else and scaled to 720, this is due to overhead, the xbox can't really run those games at anything that is called HD. ie 720 or 1080. So they often fake it a bit.

I think once 1080 shots of Skyrim come out on the higher res PC version, it's gonna spank everything so far shown on the xbox version.

Edited by Ghogiel

I'm not well versed in graphics terms. What's the difference between 1080p and 720p?

If it's resolution, I usually play at 800x600 anyways to keep down lag.

yeah it is resolution. 1920x1080. 1280x720 are considered HD. 800x600 is SVGA

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Vector_Video_Standards5.svg

ub3rman: you should really try to be playing at your monitors native resolution what ever that is(surely it is wide screen?).. It's is a common mistake that people buy a 24" monitor or something but hardware that isn't capable of HD gaming. you should be able to run F3 at HD on cheap hardware. I have mid range system, and I run 1080 no sweat on this sort of game. any 3ghz + cpu, 100$ gfx card, 4gb ram and you should be fine on something like F3 at high. obviously with cheap hardware on Crysis you're probably f***ed for HD and high settings. but the game sucks a bit. And the Engine kinda sucks for modding too.

Nah, I've got a good monitor (Three, actually) but the space isn't much useful for gaming. The extra screenspace is a godsend for modding, though.

Most games I have to turn down the graphics unless it's something that manages to look amazing without crushing hardware, like Half Life 2.

http://uk.pc.ign.com/articles/115/1158651p2.html

IGN: Will the PC version support DirectX 11?

Todd Howard: Yes, but I guess the real question here is do we take advantage of DX11's big new features and the answer is 'not specifically'. Our graphics work centers around doing things that will look the same regardless of platform, and sometimes that implementation will be different on the 360, PS3, and PC.

:rolleyes:

I dare say it will look better but I wouldn't go by videos and screenshots, they may well have been rendered at very high resolutions and then downscaled to look better. It matters not anyway, modders will no doubt improve on whatever we're given.

it'snot about screen space it is that you are squashing what are supposed to be square pixels into rectangles. You're just not doing it any favors.

Actually for some reason most games have 800x600 widescreen, but it's still called 800x600. Only game that doesn't that I have is AC2, where everyone either looks like they've been hitting the donuts pretty hard or the game lags like a stop-motion slideshow.