⚠ Known Issue: Media on User Profiles ×

Hot Topic #1: The dumbing down of Oblivion

Dark0ne

Also the specs were more designed for 360 than playstation as shown here. Can you notice how more clear and realistic it looks on the 360.

Absolutely the opposite. The game plays and looks better on the PS3. Please do your research before spouting drivvle in your pathetic crusade against the XBox/360/Microsoft, who have proven themselves, somehow, to be better than Sony in this next (turned current) gen "war".

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man, I hate how almost everybody I know, see and chat with in the forums is totally anti 360. I mean come on, It's a damn fine system, maybe not as visually stunning as ps3, although, some games for the 360 do make the ps3 look like sh*t, For example, Mass Effect, look up the screens on IGN, the graphics are amazing, like really better than anything I've seen the ps3 put out. Anyways, I guess what I'm trying to say is, why hate something, so amazing. I've had mine now for about 4 months, and I have had NO issues at all thus far. For all the peopke who have had their 360 break, or overheat, hear me now. It's a next generation console ok, (well now current) And it needs to be treated as one. It need to be in an open space, away from any dust, and for god's sake guys, don't stand it up if you have pets or small children, it will fall, accident happen. And yes, it's a very powerful piece of technology, so it gets hot. VERY HOT, believe me, DO NOT play it for more than 6 hours. I don't know how you could, just don't, the manual says 12, well, better safe than sorry. Anyways, sorry for dragging on, but I am a HUGE xbox fan, have some pride in our nation, I'm canadian, but I consider North America my country. I know, it's a continent. But yeah, I will rather to pay money to my own lands manufacturers and be f****** proud that I'm not spending my money on a Japanese company. Microsoft is NOT an enemy, they have made an amazing system, and it seems we haven't even seen the full potential of it yet. (Again, please take a boo at Mass Effect at IGN and some vids.) I'm on your sides guys, I am a PC gamer, but I have to stress, consoles can be a great thing, not the ps3. Where else do you get games like Halo 3, Gears of War, GTA 5, Mass Effect, Too Human, Splinter Cell: Conviction, Two Worlds and the game with the most advanced physics to date, Star Wars the Force Unleashed. Don't beleive me, heres a video link:http://media.xbox360.ign.com/media/823/823667/vids_1.html the DMM video....Amazing....

i think the dumbing down of Oblivion was a good thing. most people who b*tch about the dumbing down of oblivion should get a life! :P its only a game! take deep breaths and count slowly backwards from 10. morowind isnt that good a game, the graphics are ok but the npcs and my character look like mangled puppets and i hated the fact that there was a npc that could look exactly like my character if i didnt use a mod. the armour in morowind was completely ugly. its reali easily to combine some pieces of armor in oblivion, chainmail steel iron blackwood and mythril work well together and you can always use clothes with armour eg the cuirass cut from db armour and black wide pants look good together too

!!! I have spoken !!!

I just saw this buddys response. You are not a fan. You are a gamer, no sir, you get a life, we like our games the way they have been for the last ten years, dont come into our house and say it sucks. You sir, are an n'wah. Or an outlander, your choce, you are no sera. hahaha, thats just morrowind humor.

i think the dumbing down of Oblivion was a good thing. most people who b*tch about the dumbing down of oblivion should get a life! :P its only a game! take deep breaths and count slowly backwards from 10. morowind isnt that good a game, the graphics are ok but the npcs and my character look like mangled puppets and i hated the fact that there was a npc that could look exactly like my character if i didnt use a mod. the armour in morowind was completely ugly. its reali easily to combine some pieces of armor in oblivion, chainmail steel iron blackwood and mythril work well together and you can always use clothes with armour eg the cuirass cut from db armour and black wide pants look good together too

!!! I have spoken !!!

I just saw this buddys response. You are not a fan. You are a gamer, no sir, you get a life, we like our games the way they have been for the last ten years, dont come into our house and say it sucks. You sir, are an n'wah. Or an outlander, your choce, you are no sera. hahaha, thats just morrowind humor.

Again, you amaze me with your wit and wisdom mustardman 8) . I think while this is a very hotted debate, we must not lose control of ourselves. Keep it passionate, keep it intense, but PLEASE! keep it polite. Many of us believe oblivion was too vanilla while many of us don't mind it. I think the main point we should ask ourselves is what the consequences of the dumbing down of oblivion are going to be. does it signal in a new trend on how companies are going to build games. was it as Bethesda intended or did they rush it. Yes I admit asking for a petition was moronic on my part but it is a shame to see oblivion go the way it did. Seeing how my opinions clashed with others I think we should minimalize our frustration on oblivion and what it could of done and rather we should now ask ourselves what vanilla oblivion implies to the future of gaming. where are we going?

Again, you amaze me with your wit and wisdom mustardman 8) . I think while this is a very hotted debate, we must not lose control of ourselves. Keep it passionate, keep it intense, but PLEASE! keep it polite. Many of us believe oblivion was too vanilla while many of us don't mind it. I think the main point we should ask ourselves is what the consequences of the dumbing down of oblivion are going to be. does it signal in a new trend on how companies are going to build games. was it as Bethesda intended or did they rush it. Yes I admit asking for a petition was moronic on my part but it is a shame to see oblivion go the way it did. Seeing how my opinions clashed with others I think we should minimalize our frustration on oblivion and what it could of done and rather we should now ask ourselves what vanilla oblivion implies to the future of gaming. where are we going?

I dont think there is any thing to be worried about. Although Oblivion isn't the terrible game everyone clams that it is, I will admit it just wasn't up to par. But that shouldnt be seen as a sign of things to come. Nintendo (The last of a long line of companies that actually care what you think) pushed the release of LOZ:Twighlight Princess back by almost a year because they wanted to ensure that it was flawless. So I guess the question is how long are you willing to wait for that perfect game?

CD- I think the wait for Zelda was actually worth it.

Anyway my view, well I thought Oblivion was great but there are things that could have been better, but what I dream of a game to be like is a bit more complicated, okay let's say you put Oblivion/Morrowind free roaming and very big land together with modern day Grand Theft Auto, so with guns AND swords, and then add magic/witches and monsters into the place and realistic NPCs, and where your character actually talks (Sort of like NWN whne sometimes your character talks).

So what I mean, is that I dream of a game that free roam, you can go anywhere in the world, do anything, kill anyone, drive anything, fight the big bad or conquer the world as the greatest evil known. Weapons such as crossbows, swords, knifes, guns and other stuff exist in the modern day, able to choose what your character looks like and what age. People of all ages (NWN has children in it and you can't kill them, that a great way to avoid angry parents), animals of all sorts, and maybe adding The Sims 2 along with that (Parts of it), like raising a family and protecting them as monsters are unleashed onto the city, able to enter any buildings or houses of the game.

Unfortently that's probably something that's never gonna happen..

You know what, I never thought of it like this. Nintendo, tho not my favorite company, has been the only corporation loyal to there fans. When I was a little guy, I remember playing Zelda:The Orcarina of Time, which was the best game I have ever at the time. I think the way they produce games, which are still true to the lore, game play and story telling type of the Zelda franchise. Thats the kinda thing I wish Bethesda would have done. You dont see Nintendo totally changing the setup of there games, even after the 11 years since Zelad came to N64, that was so long ago. I mean, there still pumping out Mario, and the fans love it. I prefer a more in depth game, where you do get emotionally involved with the characters. Like Morrowind, when Vivec reveals that he did have a part to play in the death of Nerevar, I was shocked to say the least, than when he gives you the option to kill him, thats the type of choices would like to have seen in Oblivion. I think, that if somebody has the courage to take this to Todd Howard, (I REALLY want to myself, but dont know how to) I think taht the next installment of ES will be the best yet.

But to discuss the topic of where things are going, we can never know. However we can make an educated guess. Judging by the previous progress in the gaming industries, I think the console will dominate for a couple more years here, than I am positive the PC will make a comeback. After the smoke clears from the console wars, the people will see how the price for a geforce 8800 has gone down, ( in years to come) And I mean, how much better can graphics get, really? I mean, we've reached almost photo realism. I dont want that, I want a real lookin game, but not one where I Sh*t my pants its so real. So I think when ps4 or the xbox 1080 come out, Im gonna say, screw it, I have a powerful computer, (for my generation, call me a future oldschool) And I'll love it, theres so much more a pc can do for you. Im probably totally off, I know I am, but thats what I'll probably do, I'll have my geforce 8800gtx, a duo processor, 3 gigs a ram, 200 gig hard drive, and be happy with my specs, and enjoy the freedom of pc games. Sure, I'll buy a new console down the road, but the more things change, the more they stay the same you know. J=This is just like when the N64 came out and shocked everyone. Well here we go again is all I can say. My kids when I'm old are gonna laugh at my generations consoles, as I did to pong. All we can do, Is strap in, and enjoy the ride guys.

As for as where is the ES gonna go. I think if there next game doesnt appeal more the old fans from the daggerfell and morrowind generations, thatn there gonna eithr lose alot a money, or start building up a new fan base. Cause I'm not going down with the ship, even though I've been on it for so long. One day, Im gonna grad from a tech school, and make my own games, and then we'll see wg=hats what Todd.

I a, a fan, I know what I want, I know what the people want, and if they cant give it to us...I will try with every fibre of my being. People have always said gaming is a waste of time. Well no, its not. Its an escape. People do heroine to get away, well I got to Vvardenfell to escape. No one can find you when your in a place they cant even dream. Thats the magic of games. THey are like a drug to me, Im addicted. Its my escape from the stress of Afganistan, politics, tax and all that garbage. Its not a game to me, its a lifestyle. People think you cant learn anything with ga,es. No, you learn alot, you learn to problem solve, and in some cases be more merciful.

Sorry for going on so long, If you've read all this, I hope Ive inspired you to keep on playing, and if life gets you down, just remeber, theres a framiliar place we can all go, see you in Tamriel......

(DAMN I wish it was online!)

One thing I forgaot o mention above, I love you gusy for being the fans that make it all worth it. I know this is gonna sound dramatic. But think of all the people out there who feel that same as you, Dark0ne, all of us here in the community. We are all alike in an amazing way. We are a small nation ourselves, one thats deep underground, but at least we exist, and we have a voice which can be heard by all our peers. I love you guys for sharing your thoughts and opinions with me, and for hangin in there with me, lets have some patience and see where this goes. Our voices will be heard. So lets not hate each other, lets not call each other down ( no one has here yet, thank you) Lets all admit that we have a common intrest. And that is what makes us all brothers in a way. We all agree that this game wasnt what we hoped. So for the better for us all, lets make Todd hear us, and lets do it respectably. Lets let him know we are passionate about the games, they are more than fabricated discs to us. They mean something, they have the power to raise us up and touch our hearts. I beleive with the proper input at the Elder Scrolls site, we can make a change.

EDIT: Merged your posts. If you forget to add something please use the edit button rather than double posting. Thanks!

- Switch

• 3 weeks later...

I dont think there is any thing to be worried about. Although Oblivion isn't the terrible game everyone clams that it is, I will admit it just wasn't up to par. But that shouldnt be seen as a sign of things to come. Nintendo (The last of a long line of companies that actually care what you think) pushed the release of LOZ:Twighlight Princess back by almost a year because they wanted to ensure that it was flawless. So I guess the question is how long are you willing to wait for that perfect game?

I'm willing to wait until I'm five-hundred years old. (No, actually, not really, but you get the point.)

I think there is no debate neede on Oblivion vs. Morrowind. Or to totally quote Todd Howard:

Our goal is to always make a new game that stands on its own, that has its own identity.

For me its simple. I think that OB is a good game. DEFINATELY could be better.

Could also be a lot worse.

It was NOT what I hoped for but it surpassed the minimum of what I need to replay.

If I had developed it I would have tried to keep more of the elements that made MW such a huge fan favorite.

I also think that the mods x4 the playability. THANK YOU TO ALL WHO WORK SO HARD AND SHARED THEIR WORK WITH THE MODDING BAKA (idiots) SUCH AS MYSELF. I know from my many attempts at MW modding that I have little skill in that area. :(

I also think that if we could talk to or even help Bethesda it could only result in good things so long as everyone remained polite and considerate.

I just hope that we can have a less frustrating start to TESV's launch.

Thank U for reading. I hope you have a good night and that you can make sense of my mutterings.

Oblivion is absolutelyin the top 10 of the best games i have played. But i am dissapointed with alot in it. First, the landscaping. In Oblivion everywhere is forest. In Morrowind there are snowy islands, windy mountians, lake areas, and more types of land. The AI is kinda dull in oblivion. Peoplaes conversations make no sense. Though in previous games there is no AI dialouge at all. Last, i found the storyline, and alot of other quests were dull and short. In Morrowind they seemed longer.

Though i did get a lot of enjoyment from playing vanila Oblivion(of course its funner with mods).

(sorry about spelling)