Potential Database Breach

Dark0ne

In response to post #31573045. #31573920, #31573935, #31575350, #31575375 are all replies on the same post.

Dark0ne wrote: The three files affected were:

- Higher Settlement Budget (downloads from 5th December)
- Rename Dogmeat (downloads from 4th December)
- BetterBuild (downloads from 29th November)

OP updated to include that information.
ZedLeppelin wrote: Thank you for that info! I'm happy to say I downloaded/installed none of those 3 mods. I changed my Nexus p/w regardless, just to be safe.
Hickory wrote: That dsound.dll file should be sent away to all AV companies that participate in Virus Total for manual investigation. Relying on existing heuristics is not doing anybody any good, especially since these files are extremely suspect to begin with and have not been tagged by the scans.
spidermandala wrote: Thanks so much for giving us the heads up Dark0ne, I too luckily didn't pick any of these up but Ill be double vigilant now.
RaverWolfe wrote: I actually downloaded the Rename Dogmeat one, I'll change all my s#*! asap just incase.

glad i never downloaded those files.

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #31558720. #31559325, #31573900, #31574430, #31575890, #31575970, #31579990, #31580480 are all replies on the same post.

piotrmil wrote: Well, I never had trust in you to begin with, so nothing has been lost.
sydney666 wrote: Geez, do you really have to be an ass?
piotrmil wrote: Yes, I really have to tell the truth.
Tyerial12 wrote: well we dont trust you so nothing lost when you leave .. see ya
ShenGuardian wrote: Are you that bored with life that you have to post intentionally inflammatory posts to entertain yourself?

I swear, for every considerate human being that uses any kind of social outlet online, there is a substantially larger group that (VERY unfortunately) adds to your ranks... sickening.
ShenGuardian wrote: Feel free to reply as I'm sure you feel you must, but be sure, it will not be read by myself, I've not the time for such foolishness.
FishBiter wrote: Doesn't have time for this foolishness... but has the time to respond twice.

Strangely, I'm not bothered by what piotrmil wrote at all, he's just being honest. The "positive comments only!" police will just have to deal with it I guess.
SableDreamer wrote: ...he said, after replying to comments he had to have read to have replied to.

piotrmil, you're kind of my hero.

Do you log login attempts? Any change there is a lot of failed attempts from the Romanian ISP "Rdsnet"? On a site I help out there is an incredible amount of trial&error attacks with usernames and passwords gathered on breached sites to later sell the accounts. User who re-use their passwords and usernames will have their accounts compromised. It's their fault, not the websites.

I suspect a similar thing is happening here.

I don't use the password I use here on any other websites or services so I'm not worried about that. However, I think I'll wait until this all gets sorted before I change my password.

Sorry this happened to you guys. I've been the victim of both an IRS and Blue Cross Blue Shield hack, neither of which were my fault, so I know how disheartening and frustrating this kind of stuff can be. I'm sure hackers realize the emotional, mental, and physical strain they put on people, so as far as I'm concerned they're just as bad as any other kind of criminal. They can cause financial damage that can last the rest of peoples lives. It takes a very horrible person to knowingly do that kind of damage to people.

Just changed my passwords for the more important sites. The fun thing is... you can't even set up a password that has more than 20 characters on major sites like PayPal. Sad... Edited by blattgeist

No worries, Dark0ne, I don't hold you or Nexus responsible. I'm a retired IT guy myself and know that "Every time you build a better mousetrap, some ******* builds a better mouse." Thanks for the update.

In response to post #31573580. #31574375, #31575725, #31576020 are all replies on the same post.

Iamimpossibru wrote: And this is the precise reason why you should ALWAYS learn to manually alter files. Preaching NMM for convenience is bad practice. That is what leads to end user breaches, and complete disregard for web safety. I've encountered far too many mod authors and users alike pushing the miracles of NMM. No, just no. Learn to computer, or get off of one.
EmeraldShadow wrote: Not exactly. Manually installing mods is a massive pain and becomes impossible when you get large mod lists. The answer is mod organizer, it has a "manual" install option which shows what files are being installed, and thankfully all files are kept separate from not only the skyrim folder but also each other, so you can drag and drop different installation-orders separately. I always check what's going into my game when using MO, so I would have caught this.
morachi wrote: I'm sorry but no. I do this for a living and what you're saying is a fallacy.

NMM is just a utility that automates a cumbersome and often complex set of moves and edits any which a mistake can cause the mod if not the program not to work.

Following your logic we'd no longer use Group Policy to set user environments, we wouldn't use patch management to manage security updates or hell we wouldn't use anti-virus we would instead sift through the files one by one looking for vulnerabilities.

I got news for you. Knowing how to mod isn't even remotely "learn to computer" and your thinking it is reminds me of folks who think knowing how to Facebook is somehow equivalent of being an IT professional...
soulgamers wrote: I always Manually install my mods. cos I like to know where their going.
I do make a backup of those places first tho.

Yippy! . I'm a IT professional. would you credit that.

You're acting like installing mods manually takes a lot of skill or something?
NMM is just convenient to have and can save you a lot of time/trouble.
So I don't understand why you're making it seem like you're amazing for installing mods manually with the "learn to computer" LOL.