Potential Database Breach

Dark0ne

If there was/is a breach and they manipulated some files then it is most likely everyone who downloaded it once is probably infected, deleting files/reinstalling will not really help much, especially if the virus can not be identified by security programs, such breaches are not done by rookies.

Luckly Nexus informed us so soon, most others would wait until it is 100% proven. So thanks.

We can hope for the best offcourse but l wouldnt count on that, I would do a few things to make sure I am safe no matter what.

I would suggest 2 things : if nexus has ever stored your very personal data like purchases, then go ahead and inform your visa/credit card company and double the security like "no purchases without live aproval from your private mobile device" (like SMS approval) as the first step.

Change your Passwords for ALL the sensitive accounts (emails, banks, online-shops) on a DIFFERENT computer! And try not to use them on the machine where mods are installed. Just to make sure.

just my opinion and suggestions, nothing more.

One more thing : This happens all the time, doesnt mean you are or you are not safe if that made sense.

Cheers

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A few days ago, I noticed a pop-up saying that I may have a virus. This pop-up occurred while I was on the nexus website. I called tech support and ended up getting patched through to some call center in India, where the technician did some kind of scan on my computer through some remote control session, and the scan said that I had a virus called Koobface. I didn't know if this was a hoax or the real deal, but I installed anti-virus software nonetheless. Could this be related to this database breach? I would also like to point out that in the last month or so, I have been automatically sent to a seemingly fake webpage that wanted me to install something on my computer, which I immediately closed. Each of these incidents occurred while I was on the Nexus website, so someone might want to look into that as well.

I seem to have multiple dsound.dll files on my system, there's 4 dsound.dll files in C:/Windows and 1 dsound.dll in D:/Fallout4/data and i do seem to recall downloading one of the listed mods I just can't remember when. Would it be safe to delete dsound.dll in the fallout folder?

If you're still getting attacked, I HIGHLY recommend putting the site into maintenance mode, chmod 000 the entire site, or redirecting it to a static page/blog until you've found how they're getting in and patched it. If the attackers are still putting up executable files, it's time to quarantine the site for the users' protection.

Edited by N3X15

In response to post #31632360.

Dovahkiin567 wrote: A few days ago, I noticed a pop-up saying that I may have a virus. This pop-up occurred while I was on the nexus website. I called tech support and ended up getting patched through to some call center in India, where the technician did some kind of scan on my computer through some remote control session, and the scan said that I had a virus called Koobface. I didn't know if this was a hoax or the real deal, but I installed anti-virus software nonetheless. Could this be related to this database breach? I would also like to point out that in the last month or so, I have been automatically sent to a seemingly fake webpage that wanted me to install something on my computer, which I immediately closed. Each of these incidents occurred while I was on the Nexus website, so someone might want to look into that as well.

Umm, you've got scammed. And the "remote control" session they did, most likely installed an actual virus right there and then.

I have just released an update to this news post in a separate article.

To prevent messages and questions being spread between between both comment topics I am now closing this older news article.

If you have anything you'd like to say or share on this topic then please use the other new article's commenting system.

Thank you.