NMM 0.61.3 fixes for Fallout 4

TheTokenGeek

Even though I have gone through the describe procedure for the fix and ensured the plugins.txt file is read only, and that the installed esps are in the file, the launcher is STILL able to uncheck the esps in the plugins tab in NMM. I have windows 10 so not sure if that is relevant, but the 61.3 released has not fixed the unchecking of the mods for me.

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When the new NMM opens, it says that the text file is read only and cannot manage that file - would I like to "unread-only it"? I assume I would not, but is that intended? What if I download another mod? Will NMM operate as intended for correct install? Edited by ETSubmariner

In response to post #31662115. #31662295, #31666485, #31676075, #31677955, #31680405 are all replies on the same post.

BlindJudge wrote: Yesterday Bethesda released a patch for Fallout 4 which disabled mods from being run by resetting the plugins.txt file that contains all of the .esm/.esp entries for plugins that you had active. It had no mention of this in the release notes so people quite happily had Steam update their copies, only to find that when they went to boot up it said that the game had changed since their last save.

Today we have released NMM 0.61.3, this release will once again allow for you to run Fallout
4 directly from NMM with all your mods and build order intact. Big thanks to our elite developer Fabio for all the effort he put in to get this up and running so quickly (when he was meant to have a day off may I add!).

If you discover any issues, then please make sure that you make us aware in the feedback thread on the website and we’ll do our best to get it rectified as soon as possible.

Enjoy your time back in the Wasteland...

Paul (BlindJudge)
Paradoxical47 wrote: Thank you for fixing this so quickly, found it very annoying when out of the blue the game failed to play with the mods. Now after much messing about I have to start a new game...how sad!!
Angerl wrote: do we have to run the game in NMM or can we launch it directly from steam?
DuskDweller wrote: You need to re-enable esps using NMM, it will make sure the F4 launcher won't mess with the plugins.txt file again.
It's also better if you launch F4 through NMM.
Angerl wrote: Im disabling and re-enabling all my mods. That should work , isnt it?I dont know how to enable esp manually and i dont know if it works for textures
TheDominomi wrote: Man you guys rock! <3

So I haven't used NMM at all and I only have one graphic mod running. The mod loads but the game crashes. I've read countless others having the game crash and it doesn't even seem mod related. Someone said they did a reinstall of the game and have no mods and it's still happening. Sounds like your update allows mods to run again, but as of right now my game doesn't even run..... anyone know what to do? This sucks to say the least.

In response to post #31669955. #31673750, #31673880, #31676115, #31682985, #31683650 are all replies on the same post.

keh520 wrote: I found it pretty easy to workaround this issue yesterday by running NMM, running the launcher, then re-checking everything in the NMM list. I can't believe how quickly you guys came up with a real solution to the problem. Thank you! Bigger problem: why the heck is Bethesda sabotaging our ability to mod? Also changed yesterday: used to be able to get to the "data files" menu on the launcher by clicking the bright spot under the right eye of the helmet- that is gone too. Is Bethesda attempting to stop us from modding and what prompted that departure from the Bethesda model?
khmp wrote: I just think that if they wanted to prevent modding they'd have taken a better step to do it. Quite possibly a wrong assumption and you may be correct. Again just a different look at the same issue.

Or... tinfoil hats on. A push to use third party tools that circumvent the launcher! *dramatic music cue*

Also many thanks for updating NMM Fabio.
BeingShotAt wrote: I think you're jumping to conclusions
sneakykatze82 wrote: This was not a "sabotage" or any attempt to stop modding. Mods break when updates happen. It's actually just that simple.

Edit: Also, the mod list is still there when you click the helm on the vanilla launcher.
torguemada wrote: It sure as heck isn't that. the new launcher flat out disables all mod when started.

But no i dont see this as evidence of them trying to sabotage us, i would at this point assume they just made an honest mistake and pushed the beta patch directly to live(beta patches have this same "feature", but it actually makes sense there)
fgambler wrote: Bethesda probably thought the patch would break a lot of mods, and therefore the game itself, so they would get wrong bug reports about the patch that were in fact related to outdated mods. So for me it makes sense. But they could've at least announced it.

Anyway everyone knows the risks of modding.

Not very likely, the patch barely changes anything and im pretty sure it breaks exactly zero mods.

Am I wrong that both NMM and any official updates from Bethsoft are going to need access to that "plugins.txt" file in order in install new content (or mods)? For now, I'm going to stay with what I consider the safer (but more of a PITA) method: Start the game from the game launcher. With the launcher open, start Nexus Mod Manager and go to the plugins tab for FO4. All plugins except for fallout.esm will be unchecked. Activate the plugins again, close NMM. Start the game and you should have no issues. Only problem is that you will have to do this every time.

It's either that, or every time you install a mod that actually has a plugin (*.esp files), you are going to have to manually change that "plugins.txt" file back to write-able. I could be wrong on this, and the NMM fix might be more sophisticated than I think it probably is.

Dark, you want to weigh in on this, please?

Had to look for this because for some odd reason my NMM didn't automatically prompt me with the option to update when I loaded it up.

Many thanks for the update! My mods all work now, I only got one CTD and that was because my plugins.txt somehow got set to read-only. So folks, make sure your plugins.txt is NOT read-only and you should be good to do. Thanks again Nexus Mods team for getting us this update quickly.

In response to post #31698730.

JAPguns wrote: Is anyone else having a crash every time you try to go to red rocket settlement? I can play all night with no issues but as soon as I go to red rocket it crashes.

Do you have any mods installed? If so, which ones? Also, have you used the console to manipulate anything at that particular settlement? There are some mods out that *potentially* could cause issues. Those would be the ones that are trying to mod the game so you can "clean up" the trash in your settlements.

Also, many people are having issues when they try to modify game objects with the "disable" and "markfordelete" commands in the console. If you don't know what you are doing, you can break all kinds of stuff...including main quests, among others. This may be causing your CTD when you enter that Cell. Does it happen when you walk to the settlement, or just when you fast travel?

In response to post #31698730. #31701440 is also a reply to the same post.

JAPguns wrote: Is anyone else having a crash every time you try to go to red rocket settlement? I can play all night with no issues but as soon as I go to red rocket it crashes.
Degasai wrote: Do you have any mods installed? If so, which ones? Also, have you used the console to manipulate anything at that particular settlement? There are some mods out that *potentially* could cause issues. Those would be the ones that are trying to mod the game so you can "clean up" the trash in your settlements.

Also, many people are having issues when they try to modify game objects with the "disable" and "markfordelete" commands in the console. If you don't know what you are doing, you can break all kinds of stuff...including main quests, among others. This may be causing your CTD when you enter that Cell. Does it happen when you walk to the settlement, or just when you fast travel?

It can also happen if you have the 'Higher Settlement Budget' bat file mod and built to many things for your system to handle.

In response to post #31699415.

ETSubmariner wrote: When the new NMM opens, it says that the text file is read only and cannot manage that file - would I like to "unread-only it"? I assume I would not, but is that intended? What if I download another mod? Will NMM operate as intended for correct install?

As an update, on the second run through using NMM, opening the game, the mods were all unchecked again. The new NMM isn't working as intended, or is it that when I opened NMM the second time and it asked if I wanted to make my text file readable (and I didn't), that was my problem?