NMM 0.61.3 fixes for Fallout 4

TheTokenGeek

In response to post #31733555. #31741645 is also a reply to the same post.

Grumpyhouse wrote: Worked for a momment, but now I'm stuck in a never-ending launcher loop. I hit Launch in NMM, it opens the FO4 launcher, I hit play & get the FO4 launcher over & over.
cmd062 wrote: I have the same problem

go to your game folder (exe folder) and rename fallout4.exe to fallout4launcher.exe - rename the launcher anything you want - and launch fallout.

Worked perfectly.

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #31714560.

javathejat wrote: I didnt need to update NMM. Running the game from FO4 tools works fine for me.

The problem is I am experiencing a lot of new bugs after this patch... like conversations being weird, and small kinda bugs everywhere, which didnt exist before the patch. Ayone else?

Speaking of FO4 bugs (not NMM bugs), hotkeys are no longer working for me since the FO4 patch. I used to be able to switch between numpad-hotkeys and numpad arrow navigation through menus just by hitting the NumLock. Now only the menu navigation bit works. Edited by RealmEleven

In response to post #31733790. #31734300 is also a reply to the same post.

joshx336 wrote: For some reason my NMM is not installing mods in it's proper place...and the funny thing is just started doing it...crazy s#*! :(
joshx336 wrote: And also mods that suppose to give you options when installing are not opening up!!!

If you were simply reinstalling a mod I believe you're witnessing the effects of the new virtual install feature. When you uninstall a mod the extracted mod files are not actually deleted, so when you install the same mod again it simply re-enables them rather than having to extract the files from the mod archive to the game folder as it used to, which also means (in such a case) it will ignore the scripted installer and enable the files and options that were selected the last time the scripted installer was run.
Right-clicking and selecting uninstall mod fully uninstalls the mod and deletes the mod files so you can reinstall it with the scripted installer.
If they're installing in the wrong place check the tab with the game's name in NMM settings and make sure it has the write path for the game directory selected.

Knowing this was coming from reading all the posts about it on various mod pages, I made a backup of my Plugins.txt file, and refreshed that backup every time I added a mod with an esp. As info, I'm handling my FO4 mods manually for now- NMM 0.60.2 bricked my 240-mod Skyrim installation so now I no longer trust it. Managing my FO4 mods manually isn't much of a hassle because so few of them have esp's due to the lack of a CK. I reinstalled NMM 0.56 to maintain my Skyrim once I fixed the damage NMM had caused and I'm going to wait until after the FO4 CK drops and the real flood of esp mods starts to flow before I switch back to the newer versions of NMM.

After the Bethesda update this week, sure enough, Plugins.txt had been reset (all the esp entries removed). So I replaced it with my backup containing my esp entries and launched the game. Imagine my surprise when none of my esp mods worked- Plugins.txt had been reset again! Eventually, I deduced that Bethesda must have set the game launcher to reset Plugins.txt every time it is launched!

So this time after I restored Plugins.txt from my backup, I set it to read-only and now everything is fine. Whenever I want to add a mod that has an esp file, I remove the read-only status, edit the file to add the esp name, then save it and set it back to read-only so the launcher can't blow it up again.

In response to post #31733790. #31734300, #31756750 are all replies on the same post.

joshx336 wrote: For some reason my NMM is not installing mods in it's proper place...and the funny thing is just started doing it...crazy s#*! :(
joshx336 wrote: And also mods that suppose to give you options when installing are not opening up!!!
Timmster wrote: If you were simply reinstalling a mod I believe you're witnessing the effects of the new virtual install feature. When you uninstall a mod the extracted mod files are not actually deleted, so when you install the same mod again it simply re-enables them rather than having to extract the files from the mod archive to the game folder as it used to, which also means (in such a case) it will ignore the scripted installer and enable the files and options that were selected the last time the scripted installer was run.
Right-clicking and selecting uninstall mod fully uninstalls the mod and deletes the mod files so you can reinstall it with the scripted installer.
If they're installing in the wrong place check the tab with the game's name in NMM settings and make sure it has the write path for the game directory selected.

I hate the virtual install feature I delete everything in it and all reinstalled all my mods yesterday because it's not cleaning it's self up...that whole feature is just a pain in the ass in my book

In response to post #31738760.

JAPguns wrote:

In response to post #31698730.

JAPguns wrote: Is anyone else having a crash every time you try to go to red rocket settlement? I can play all night with no issues but as soon as I go to red rocket it crashes.

Do you have any mods installed? If so, which ones? Also, have you used the console to manipulate anything at that particular settlement? There are some mods out that *potentially* could cause issues. Those would be the ones that are trying to mod the game so you can "clean up" the trash in your settlements.

Also, many people are having issues when they try to modify game objects with the "disable" and "markfordelete" commands in the console. If you don't know what you are doing, you can break all kinds of stuff...including main quests, among others. This may be causing your CTD when you enter that Cell. Does it happen when you walk to the settlement, or just when you fast travel?

I have only used ones like the power mod to make generators make more power, one to make water pumps make more water, one to make a new power pole to allow power to non-connected devices have power instead of running wires near by. the green grass and trees have leaves and finally the one that turns the original house into prewar. I did not do any of the expanded settlements or the clean up the trash ones. It happens both when I fast travel and walk to it. I have not how ever tried to play after rebooting my computer today. I did try to shut off a mod at a time to see which one is doing it last night but didn't try them all before I called it quits and went to bed. I did not do any console commands to manipulate anything either.... Follow up I also had the more stuff to build and the brighter lights one. I disabled them all and it still crashes on travel to the rocket gas station.

OK, so...

I'm NOT an expert on this, so this is just speculation. You have one of two problems:

1. Using a mod or mods that expand your ability to build or delete items (beyond what was included with the vanilla game), you have made changes in the Red Rocket cell to the game world that the engine doesn't like. When you enter the cell and the game tries to load these changed landscapes, it crashes. This is, most likely, the issue you are having.

2. You have installed a mod that either includes new scripts or alters existing scripts. You have since uninstalled that mod, and it left orphan scripts behind that are causing *just the Red Rocket cell* to crash when your game tries to load it. This is, by far, the least likely culprit because it would probably crash the game before it ever launches.

The only solution I can think of, at this point, is to bite the bullet and do the following:

Disable all mods.

Go back in time and load a saved game from before you installed ANY mods. If you uninstall all mods, loading a *workable* saved game will NOT generate the launcher message that says that particular save relies on content that is no longer available. If you are unable to find a game that will load and includes a Red Rocket cell that is working properly, you are probably going to have to do one of the following:

Go to your Steam Library and go through the steps to have the installer verify your game files. Keep in mind, this process will replace all of your .ini files with the vanilla ones. Before you can install mods again, you will have to go through the process of editing those .ini files to allow modding. I recommend Gopher's tutorials on how to do that.

or...

Uninstall and reinstall the game and start over.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Modding FO4 before the release of the Creation Kit entails many risks, and requires a working knowledge of what files any particular mod is altering and which mods to avoid installing. If you are using NMM to install mods, you can go to the "Files" section of any mod page and click on the magnifying glass next to the download link. It will open a window and show you *exactly* which files are going to be modified. As a rule of thumb, you want to be very careful installing anything that includes an *.esp file. Never install more than one at a time, and test it thoroughly before installing another.

As always, BACKUP YOUR SAVES before installing any mod.

Any word when NMM will fix not installing files properly ever since the new update? Many of my Fallout 4 mods such as the newest version of Homemaker 1.21, Crasfting Workbenches, Snapon greenhouse,etc CTD due to NMM not properly installing the files. The only work-around is manually installing them, which makes NMM pointless.