Forbid Mods on Console Platforms?

DetCord12B

A quick question to those of you out there that are content creators. Since mods are now confrimed to be cross-platform to a extent, I wonder how you, the mod creators feel about your modifications appearing on the XB1 or PS4, and will you forbid them from being allowed on said platforms? I'm of the opinion that I picked my platform (PC) and they picked thiers (Console), so they should suck it up and pound sand, but that might not be everyones opinion.

It is their/your IP after all. Of course that depends upon what the EULA for the SDK says.

It sounds like you're saying that Bethesda just takes mods they want and put them on consoles, but I'm currently under the impression that we'll have to upload our mods to Bethesda's modding site (or whatever they choose to use) and they'll have to verify it fits their criteria before it heads to consoles.

Edited by ArekkusuStorm

I am very excited about bringing my mod to consoles. The more people who enjoy my art the better, and I am willing to put in the extra work to adapt my work for a console friendly version. (Most of my work is writing anyways, and optimizing my 3d models is a piece of cake for me)

I definitely support your right now to not allow your mod on consoles, it is your creation so it is your right to choose where you want to upload it. I for one, however, am looking forward to it.

It sounds like you're saying that Bethesda just takes mods they want and put them on consoles, but I'm currently under the impression that we'll have to upload our mods to Bethesda's modding site (or whatever they choose to use) and they'll have to verify it fits their criteria before it heads to consoles.

No Workshop content at all. It's all going through Bethesda.net via their own distro service. Hines stated that back in Oct.

No Workshop content at all. It's all going through Bethesda.net via their own distro service. Hines stated that back in Oct.

Ah, I missed that! Fair enough then, point still stands though. Don't want to share your toys, stay on Nexus.

I'm not sure what kind of standards Bethesda will have for what mods they'll allow on consoles. If they'll allow my mods, I'd love to see them on console. I own the game on PS4 and PC personally and greatly look forward to console mods.

Also, while I know a large portion of mods will likely stay on PC only and I wholly support those authors, particularly if Bethesda has certain things they don't want mods doing, I don't like the tone taken by the OP here. Bethesda's decision to allow mods on consoles was opening up the freedom and creativity of modders to new audiences. That's awesome. Telling those new audiences to 'pound sand' is pretty petty.

I'm totally in support of allowing mods for console platforms, the fail safe option of allowing a flag to deny support for mods from the mod authors point of view is valid though. Some mods just will not work without a keyboard and mouse configuration, I wonder if there will be something built in to the console versions that will allow you to disable all plugins before launching the game. Would be handy in the case of a huge conflict.