Is it just me?

Hexxagone

Guest deleted2159825

If we're bitching about the world in general, I want to throw out the noticeable drop in both frequency and variety of random/scripted encounters. Go strolling down the road in Skyrim and you're bound to trigger all manner of wild shenanigans. In Fallout 4 you're lucky if you get a band of hostile NPC's, much less anything with dialogue. Whatever the dimensions of Skyrim's world, it certainly felt more alive to me.

Additionally, I've run across very few scripted encounters tied to the player's choices. Perhaps this will be addressed in mods... ;)

As for the map, I'll say this: Bethesda put way too much emphasis on settlements, in my opinion. I feel that the player would have been better off with 5-6 sites featuring more depth (faction alliances, diplomacy, etc.) instead of a plethora of shanty towns (I'm a thrifty tyrant) populated by hapless idiots that habitually find themselves kidnapped or threatened by ghouls across the map. FO4 would have been far better served by a handful of extra, unique locales offering distinct quests.

TL;DR: Fewer settlements, more POI's and quests.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Go strolling down the road in Skyrim and you're bound to trigger all manner of wild shenanigans. In Fallout 4 you're lucky if you get a band of hostile NPC's, much less anything with dialogue. Whatever the dimensions of Skyrim's world, it certainly felt more alive to me.

1500 hours in Skyrim, and it the same. There is even some I never saw even today, like the kids who sell maps. Some where even dump, the traveling nobles, the mist watch woman and the horse out of no where.

And it the post-dooms day and with monsters around. I think making it alive is just odd :p

instead of a plethora of shanty towns (I'm a thrifty tyrant) populated by hapless idiots that habitually find themselves kidnapped or threatened by ghouls across the map.

Just like Skyrim npcs, who get killed by dragons and vampires.

But it does seems odd they don't build safer places.

in my opinion. I feel that the player would have been better off with 5-6 sites featuring more depth (faction alliances, diplomacy, etc.)

FO4 would have been far better served by a handful of extra, unique locales offering distinct quests.

What about the seven already in game? You know:

The 81, DC, the GN and the BoS, the RR, the institute and the convent? All with their own locations, the RR is a crypt but yeah.

instead of a plethora of shanty towns.

*Farms.

They are all farms, expect very few.

Guest deleted2159825

in my opinion. I feel that the player would have been better off with 5-6 sites featuring more depth (faction alliances, diplomacy, etc.)

FO4 would have been far better served by a handful of extra, unique locales offering distinct quests.

What about the seven already in game? You know:

The 81, DC, the GN and the BoS, the RR, the institute and the convent? All with their own locations, the RR is a crypt but yeah.

I meant 5-6 sites for settlements, spread across the map. I'd prefer fewer settlements with distinct questlines, not the same old radiant garbage.

The Faction POI's offer two options: quests tied to the main plot or radiant hell. What they need are meaningful side-quests. DC and Goodneighbor are the only solid quest hubs in the game, and even there it feels lean, in my opinion.

*Farms.

They are all farms, expect very few.

*Shanty farms.

I meant 5-6 sites for settlements, spread across the map. I'd prefer fewer settlements with distinct questlines, not the same old radiant garbage.

Yeah that would have been better.

The Faction POI's offer two options: quests tied to the main plot or radiant hell. What they need are meaningful side-quests.

But side quests of guilds in Beth game were always, meh. They were just tools to advance your rank. I think Skyrim guilds handled it well.

I have to admit, a lot of quests are radiant. The system is a great idea and good in game, but it used a lot.

*Shanty farms.

Some of them looks really cool though.

The best one is homewick(?) near a ship wreak.

Edited by Boombro

the map size, wel for me at least, isn't the problem. Rather its how close some settlements are to hostile areas. For example, The Slog and Finch farm are roughly less than /12 a km from The Sagus Ironworks which is packed with flamethrower wielding raiders and just to the east of that is a reasonably significant Gunners outpost and just to the south of Finch farm is the Revere satellite array which is crawling with super mutants. These are just a few examples which highlight the need to space out inhabitant areas. Seriously, Finch farm should be a smoking ruin because its got super mutants to the south and raiders to the north.

I would like the map to be much MUCh bigger as it it feels somewhat compressed to me. The Boston city ruins are fine though. That needs no change but again, populated areas need to be a little more spread out.

I'd also do not like how areas you've cleared out magically respawn inhabitants and clutter. Its great in terms of "farming" exp and loot but again its also immersion breaking for me. The first time I came across this was after I cleared out the Corvega plant. I went back there a couple of days after I'd killed all the raiders to properly loot the remaining junk there only to discover that all the junk plus the raiders had respawned. :ermm:

someguy2000 +100% I can't enjoy this game. Even though some people had there complaints about skyrim, it was better than this in every single way. Settlements, story, MC voicing, dialogue wheel. It was all a failure in FO4. All of it would have been forgivable if we got a decent world but it's crap. Incomparable to Skyrim. Whiterun, Riften, Windhelm, Markarth, Solitude, Morthal, Dawnstar, Falkreath vs Diamond City, Goodneighbor. And stop calling covenant a town, it's not. That'd be to say Covenant=any of the towns mentioned. Settlement building (along with MC voicing) was a terrible addition.

This game was built on top of Skyrim's engine, so it deserves the comparison. I just feel like fallout 4 had no vision in it's inception.

his game was built on top of Skyrim's engine, so it deserves the comparison

Nah, not at all. The games are different in lore and concept.

Skyrim is a big kingdom and it people are not surviving as the wastelanders who hole up in places with guns to the roofs for one, and many other factors.

And fo4 world is better, The city ruins are amazing, the coast is awesome and the glowing sea is creepy as hell.

The map size is not even a dawngrade, fo3 map was also much smaller than oblivion when placed together.

And stop calling covenant a town.

That right it a village and not a town when I think about it.