Broken Lore in Fallout 4

Wolfmod

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I am aware of that, but as I was saying, you don't need EVERYONE to be literate and know that stuff. Literacy in Rome was probably around 10%. Most people not only didn't know the letters, but wouldn't even understand the language, Koine Greek, in which it was written. Heck, past a point, the majority of the population, speaking vulgar Latin, really proto-Romance languages, would have trouble understanding the classic latin of the educated elites even if you read a manuscript to them. It had really diverged as much as English differs from Anglo-Saxon, so even if you read a classic latin treatise to them, they'd understand about as much as if someone read Beowulf in original to you.

In ancient Egypt, estimated literacy was less than 1%. Yes, there's not a digit missing or anything. Less than ONE PERCENT. Literally. Didn't stop them from having the most advanced architecture at the time, or from having a guy like Imhotep (who really didn't deserve to be made into the villain of The Mummy;)) write the first medical treatise in recorded history.

Because, really, pre- or post-apocalypse most people don't really need very advanced knowledge. They just need one smarter guy to tell them, "pull these stone blocks up that ramp."

Edit: but really, we're not even talking rocket science or even civil engineering here. "Plaster those walls with mud and whitewash them" isn't something you need a post-grad degree to know. You just need one guy who lived in an adobe house before the war, really.

I'm sure this happen in western lands, but maybe they had craftsmen to teach them the crafts since a young age?

Edited by Boombro

For hairy death claw... We would need a 3D import/export plug in basically, or some kind of backwoods dirty hippy method of conversion, possibly a 3rd party command line application that would convert it, though not as programming intensive as making a plug in (I'm guessing) Which in either case is hopefully going to happen soon. This being only for the reason of taking the mesh an telling the skeleton how it should or should not allow it to move. Though if you were desperate you could just parallax map it, although it's a little dated old technology in modern games. If the hair was short, *ahem* in the case of... ... ... Fury deathclaws. It could just be a new normal map if the hair was short, an done via optical illusion. ^^

Eh, dunno about conservative, but I like to be sharply dressed. As a wise man once wrote, "All assassins had a full-length mirror in their rooms, because it would be a terrible insult to anyone to kill them when you were badly dressed." -- Terry Pratchett, "Pyramids" :p

But yeah, my character concept, as I keep saying, is more like upper-class brain-surgeon. And a philantropist too. He (and occasionally she) is doing a lot of pro-bono work, giving away lobotomies in .44 magnum, courtessy of Messrs Smith & Wesson, purveyors of fine brain-surgery equipment since 1852 ;)

And occasionally doing a bit of retrophrenology with a mace. (Phrenology being the art of telling someone's personality by the bumps on their head, retro-phrenology is the science of adjusting their personality by giving them new bumps on the head. You'd be surprised how much more agreeable some people are afterwards;))

My character doesn't do s*** but wander around. Then make a mod when I see something I want or need, an release it, an then delete the upload once people *censored* about or decline a beta release, LOL. But you know, I'm working on actually playing FO4 to finish the first quest in the wasteland. Pretty much it was NORA by a coin toss, an built based on her being a Lawyer an even released that as a mod twice going to 2.0, just with starting stats based on the perk poster in the retail version which has no names on perks, an what I guessed a Lawyer would have. Pretty much she fixed the house she used to live in so it would stop raining inside, the last incremental update was removing the wetness from the floors with a full collision mesh of the roof as the ghost mesh, an fixing the medicine cabinet, but the whole thing skinned in wasteland textures, you know instead of the prewar house.

Then building the load order till I was ready to lock it in an avoid updates to the game an avoid adding more mods, an try to do a long game. Tale of Two wastelands interrupted FO4 as well, an I've had a real hankerin to play Skyrim, never really went that far in the game or above 40, an I got this killer itch addiction calling me to Eve Online for various reasons when I'm trying to turn the internet off an save up as much money as I can. Though installing every game I wana play, an most of them are console ports, but I got a nice official Xbox 360 controller for that, an the lot of that crap to fuel game design. Though I also tried to create a look a like of myself in FO4, which represents a major departure from gaming since the release of Metal Gear Solid on playstation 1 *cough* *dust everywhere* PS1 holly s***, though it was the game were we started playing other people.

http://i895.photobucket.com/albums/ac156/grindedstone/NewLibrary/FO4/Have%20A%20Nice%20Day%20003_1.jpg

http://i895.photobucket.com/albums/ac156/grindedstone/NewLibrary/FO4/Have%20A%20Nice%20Day%20021.jpg

http://i895.photobucket.com/albums/ac156/grindedstone/NewLibrary/FO4/Example.jpg

http://i895.photobucket.com/albums/ac156/grindedstone/NewLibrary/FO4/The%20Real%20FO4%20Fallout%204%20001.jpg

Personally I don't think you can ever really have a consistent lore for anything if you get multiple people working on it. Or really even with one person.

The way I see the Fallout universe is this: humanity never invented the transistor so there was no way to shrink the size of things like computers. However, they were able to master nuclear power easier so that led them to become resource hogs. While they may not be able to make an iPod, they are able to make a laser rifle.

Every other nation in the world aside from the US and China fell apart due to lack of resources. Even then the last two super powers were tottering on the edge of collapse. Near the end China invaded the US to grab the last easy access oil. The US got power armor and started to push China to the mainland. Then the Great War happened, and it all ended.

I think some of the incorrect lore could be attributed to a lying author. There was a major war and 200 passed so there is no real first hand accounts and those that exist are colored by the ideals of the people who wrote them. It could also be that they are trying to clean things up. Sometimes when you start a project you aren't thinking down the line. To me its why Star Wars often doesn't make sense. Lucas was looking at making maybe the trilogy at best and didn't expect things to go as deep as they did.

While I agree things should be a bit more advanced than they are now, I can see why progress has been stunted. The lore, and common sense, say that a nuclear winter followed by a radiated rain caused a massive extinction. Living without modern technology is hard enough, but trying to do so with all of the plants and animals you know of dying off too makes it even harder. Getting wheat to grow is hard; trying to get it to grow with radioactive water is harder. Even forgetting radiation poising there are tons of diseases out there to kill you. Let's not forget that the flu is and was a dangerous killer of humanity. The flu that followed World War 1 killed 50 to 100 million world wide; World War 1 killed 17 million.

I do get why there is so much junk lying around unlooted. The city of Boston is obviously not to scale. If you have modern day Boston (population about 650,000) and kill off 90% of the population its going to take a long time to loot. Since you're now surviving in what amounts to little better than a pre-Industrial Revolution period your population will grow slowly. Pre-Industrial Societies didn't grow fast and while there is some technology around that might help, the hazards of the Wasteland might kill you off early.

Overall I agree that the places where people live should be nicer, with at least the holes in the walls patched up. But the patches of human civilization will be small and scattered with the remains of the great cities on the horizon.