3D Artist looking to get into modding/game modeling

maddmaxx

i got a "failed to load file header error each time using Nifskope. ahh screw it all i'll just wait fore the plugin updates.

You have to use the new pre-alpha version of nifskope for FO4, and it can not open all of them yet or correctly.

Niftools for import/export for Blender/Max is still a ways off. They're still working on a stable alpha version of nifskope and I would expect they want a beta version before they start putting out a new niftools.

Currently, we can't create and use custom meshes, to my knowledge. I've been searching around for about half an hour myself and stumbled upon this thread. All we can do right now, that I'm aware of, is export an OBJ model from NifSkope to use as a reference, modify, etc. in a given 3D graphics program such as Maya or 3DS Max. We can't get the model back into the game once it's exported, though.

So for example we can't make a new melee weapon, firearm, armor piece, etc. and create a new NIF with our custom mesh.

If there is a way, and someone knows how, I'd love to be told otherwise. :D

Thanks for all the answers guys. Truly awesome.

So it seems like what I want to do is not really happening without GECK/NIF plugins.

:) I'm just going to work on my other idea. Which is a 1990s Nintendo Power Glove. I'll start the modeling now and hopefully I'll be able to put it into the game when GECK/NIF plugins are released.

So it seems like what I want to do is not really happening without GECK/NIF plugins.

:smile: I'm just going to work on my other idea. Which is a 1990s Nintendo Power Glove. I'll start the modeling now and hopefully I'll be able to put it into the game when GECK/NIF plugins are released.

Also note that the plugins might not work with the program of your choice. Last I read the Nif scrips stop at MAX 2012, and I haven't kept up with Blender but fingers crossed they won't make us wait for years again like what happened to Skyrim. Unless you don't mind using a Blender version from the stone age.

But yeah I should follow your example and start making stuff anyway if I could only pry myself away from the darn game ...

Currently, we can't create and use custom meshes, to my knowledge. I've been searching around for about half an hour myself and stumbled upon this thread. All we can do right now, that I'm aware of, is export an OBJ model from NifSkope to use as a reference, modify, etc. in a given 3D graphics program such as Maya or 3DS Max. We can't get the model back into the game once it's exported, though.

So for example we can't make a new melee weapon, firearm, armor piece, etc. and create a new NIF with our custom mesh.

If there is a way, and someone knows how, I'd love to be told otherwise. :D

As far as I know, there are at least 6 FO4 mods using new or ported meshes. 5 of them are published here.

1) CBBE (it's in alpha stage, I guess it won't publish in 2015)

2) Female Beautiful Body by jerity (obviously, its feet mesh definitely not the vanilla one)

3) Lightsaber Renew (ported from FNV)

4) Insanitys Celtic Katana (ported from skyrim)

5) Darth Vader Helmet (ported from skyrim)

6) Simply Clothes for Female (ported from skyrim)

:smile: I'm just going to work on my other idea. Which is a 1990s Nintendo Power Glove. I'll start the modeling now and hopefully I'll be able to put it into the game when GECK/NIF plugins are released.

Also note that the plugins might not work with the program of your choice. Last I read the Nif scrips stop at MAX 2012, and I haven't kept up with Blender but fingers crossed they won't make us wait for years again like what happened to Skyrim. Unless you don't mind using a Blender version from the stone age.

But yeah I should follow your example and start making stuff anyway if I could only pry myself away from the darn game ...

You just make stuff in a real program, and then transfer the file over to Blender. It is one more step in the conversion process, but it beats using an antiquated version of Blender.

I've been stuck in game too.... so many damn quests... so many mods....

BTW... I use Maya/Zbrush. But I know how to import/export to 3D studio max. I'll just extport an .obj from maya -> 3DSM 2012 and then try to use the script

Edited by maddmaxx

I've been stuck in game too.... so many damn quests... so many mods....

BTW... I use Maya/Zbrush. But I know how to import/export to 3D studio max. I'll just extport an .obj from maya -> 3DSM 2012 and then try to use the script

Was rather more thinking about the rig and weight painting, if I'm not mistaken that stuff doesn't get saved in OBJ. Its not hard to learn doing it in another program but its just another timesink to keep in mind.

I'm not up to date on the Maya plugins tho, but just found this for Max, no idea to what extend its capable of importing but looks promising.

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/5622/?tab=4&&navtag=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nexusmods.com%2Fskyrim%2Fajax%2Fcomments%2F%3Fmod_id%3D5622%26page%3D1%26sort%3DDESC%26pid%3D0%26thread_id%3D521561&pUp=1

Might be able to try it out this vacation now I'v actually had a couple of months of Max behind me, I should have most of the necessary skills needed.

TeamBacon,

You just make stuff in a real program, and then transfer the file over to Blender. It is one more step in the conversion process, but it beats using an antiquated version of Blender.

True.

Reason I mention it is because I remember getting extremely frustrated about finding the EXACT version of every program needed to make it work. I don't recall it being an easy 'go here and download', more a 'whail your way true forums and Nexus mods to puzzle together what works so kiss your weekend goodbye' Not to mention finding the necessary tutorials for the ancient Blender version. Do note I was new to 3D apps (that are not Zbrush) adding another layer of difficulty.

how many goats do you guys offer on a yearly base to make armors work in these games ?