Automatic Weapons ? Why ?

Fonger

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't even mind that it uses Fusion Cores, since they are so easy for me to get at this point with my slave plantations :P.

I just wish the game would be smart enough to keep track of which Fusion Core was being used for the Gatling Laser and stick with it until it burns through. I purposely don't reload to not have any human error in it, but hopefully someone will come up with something.

I think the Fusion Cells might not be a bad idea, since late game the laser rifle, even with sniper barrel and recoil stock is a bit of a slouch on Survival (no fancy legendary mods on it or nothin)

Well, obviously, it would be best if the game used the cores better. That would be the perfect solution. No arguments there.

But, eh, in the meantime, I think converting to fusion cells is a reasonable workaround. Not perfect, mind you, but I can work with that.

Also, oh, at least the mod I use lets you convert a fusion core into 500 shots worth of fusion cells, so you can still use your plantation.

Since I built the WFGL I never swap to any other weapon and I don't have any half depleted cores. It takes a bit to get used to not reloading every chance you get. If your getting really low on ammo you can reload and sell that 3% core for decent caps.(500 rounds 5 rounds is 1%) I want to go get one of those video cards that lets you record. I recently did a solo run on the castle (minutemen are still in concord) and that was a blast. It was like shooting fish in a barrel. The mirelurk queen got scary close before she went down. I have one shot killed the mirelurk queen at murkwater construction site employing stealth, VATS, and a legendary 2 shot guass rifle aimed at the spouts but this was way more fun. At times using the gatling laser can be challenging like when trigger men attack in diamond city, or a swarm of ferals attacks your settlement. To avoid leveling the city just bash em over the head with the gun instead if firing it. There is another advantage of wounding over explosive in these crowd situations.(DOT not AOE). Like anything else if you doggedly stick with something you get good at it and I guess that's working because Deacon keeps telling me I might be too good

• 4 weeks later...

Why talk about heavy weapons? I think heavy weapon is worth it for the automatic part. Legendary or not.

Typically I just find it so odd to even consider an automatic receiver. Piper just eats away all my ammo if I give her the Thompson and she barely scratches the target. It is more useful to give her a maxed out non automatic combat or assault rifle so she can do some good with it with the same amount of ammo. Now, currently I console command to get ammo (been dealing with mods too much to have a serious play, especially I had to keep loading all saves that lost hours of progress). So I don't see the point of farming and conserving ammo at this point. If this is the case, then automatic weapon is of a role playing thing. But if every round counts, like real life, I would hardly consider automatic. In real life, its impossible for anyone to carry thousands of rounds to run around. You probably carry 5-10 magazines at most. And automatic mode can empty 1 magazine in less than a minute.

I agree with you. That's why I talk about the gatling laser that other stuff is junk. Someone else pointed out the cost efficiency of the weapon. I can buy a fusion core for 240 caps. 1 core is = to 500 rounds. 240/500 > 1/2 a cap per round. Plus it is feasible to carry 10 cores (5000 rounds) where it would not be practical to carry 5000 rounds of any other type of ammo. Even 10 500 round boxes of .22LR would be more to carry than 10 cores. I did make some recent modifications to the heavy weapons my squad uses. I opted for the slower but more powerful 3 barrel explosive minigun for Piper. I gave my corporal a never ending guass rifle so I would not have to provide her with ammo. I chose the lower speed higher damage option for my wounding boosted fiery gatling laser. I sometimes use missile launchers, mini nukes and artillery. I see the value in a .308 combat rifle or an advanced combat shotgun but I think your right there is no point in putting automatic receivers on them when there are better options.

I agree with you. That's why I talk about the gatling laser that other stuff is junk. Someone else pointed out the cost efficiency of the weapon. I can buy a fusion core for 240 caps. 1 core is = to 500 rounds. 240/500 > 1/2 a cap per round. Plus it is feasible to carry 10 cores (5000 rounds) where it would not be practical to carry 5000 rounds of any other type of ammo. Even 10 500 round boxes of .22LR would be more to carry than 10 cores. I did make some recent modifications to the heavy weapons my squad uses. I opted for the slower but more powerful 3 barrel explosive minigun for Piper. I gave my corporal a never ending guass rifle so I would not have to provide her with ammo. I chose the lower speed higher damage option for my wounding boosted fiery gatling laser. I sometimes use missile launchers, mini nukes and artillery. I see the value in a .308 combat rifle or an advanced combat shotgun but I think your right there is no point in putting automatic receivers on them when there are better options.

Wouldn't Never Ending just be ... no need to reload, but you still use up ammo?

i gave my NPC the weapon and 154 2mm EC. She has used it lots and she still has 154 2mm EC. You have to provide ammo for them to equip it but they dont use any. I dont know if thats how it is supposed to work or not.

For settlers they just need the ammo but not consuming any. Companions on the other hand do use up ammo.

Update: I tested. Never Ending uses ammo. Just no reload. You shoot until you are out of ammo.

Edited by tomomi1922