computer doesn't always send signal to monitor

obobski, on 28 Dec 2015 - 07:20 AM, said:

There is no master/slave selection for SATA hard-drives (it's an irrelevant setting since SATA does not share devices on the same controller channel - its serial point to point). That's a PATA/ATAPI thing. Those pins are serving a different function, either for manufacturing/diagnostic connection, or to jumper the drive into a certain operating mode (e.g. limit to 32GB, limit to SATA I, etc). They are *not* setting master/slave. Example, which looks pretty similar to your second picture:

http://knowledge.seagate.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/193991en

None of those would have an impact (nor would master/slave selection) on the issue described, for two reasons:

1) The jumpers don't magically move. So unless the poster is lying and changed more settings than they're describing, it was previously working and now isn't, it won't be from magical jumper walk.

2) None of the changes that can be wrought by those jumper settings will cause the drive to disappear, unless it were a PATA/ATAPI drive and two drives were set as slave or master (which will throw an error on boot, not fail to POST).

It's also a more or less dead line of inquiry because a dead hard-drive won't cause POST to fail - it will throw a disk error once the BIOS finishes booting and looks for a bootable disk.

As far as issues with the BIOS itself, that may be possible, and that's where clearing the CMOS would be easiest. It may also be a hardware issue, and I provided a rough idea of how to nail that down further; without more troubleshooting its impossible to speculate in a more accurate way wrt a hardware

And I believe you misunderstood me, I wanted them " he or she" to remove said pins if any and test it. there no magically jumping any thing.

how that came to be? LOL, I have no idea how you came to believe I said any such things.

ever seen the dictionary description of the word ( assume) "split" ?

things are up in the air so lets just wait and see if the OP posts what we need.

Thank you both for trying to help me. Please be patient with me, as I understand very little that you've talked about. But I'm trying. ;)

First off, I need to clarify my first post. I'm not trying to put the "failed" (suspected) hard drive back in...I think it may have sounded like I was. The new hard drive is a Seagate Desktop, 2TB.

The computer with its new hard drive and new install of Windows 7 has been hooked to 2 different monitors now with two different cables, and did the same thing with both of them-- sometimes it boots up like a charm, sometimes it doesn't. Poor old thing.

So it looks like from your advice that I should check if there was a "master/slave/or other" setting, and/or clear the CMOS...I will investigate both of those unless told otherwise. For anything very involved, it may have to wait until mid-week when I have more tech-inclined help in the house. :)

Thank you!

understood could you tell us the monitor brand and model number?

Just before the drive failed, can you give us a little history, say such as what was last downloaded and used?

CMOS reset is good advice...but it sounds like the "new drive" is not so happy with the controllers drivers.

might want to run windows update and manually select hardware drivers only. don't install a bunch of useless junk.

thinking here the only thing wrong is the new drive...compatibility with the mother board OR OS. ..

If this occurs on two separate and Entirely different monitors, it's Either that new drive hardware or drivers for it and the mother boards ability to control it.

currently..you have a fresh OS installed, I bet you have a lot of open, yet to be resolved hardwares drivers "missing"

start, menu control panel, hardware and or system information.// device manager and see what is yellowed , has yellow flags...this means the hardware lacks software and the software is not yet installed. that includes graphics drivers too.

• that's what I'm getting here.

so we were kinda barking up the wrong tree's here...sound about right to any one else?

Edited by Purr4me

Thank you both for trying to help me. Please be patient with me, as I understand very little that you've talked about. But I'm trying. :wink:

First off, I need to clarify my first post. I'm not trying to put the "failed" (suspected) hard drive back in...I think it may have sounded like I was. The new hard drive is a Seagate Desktop, 2TB.

The computer with its new hard drive and new install of Windows 7 has been hooked to 2 different monitors now with two different cables, and did the same thing with both of them-- sometimes it boots up like a charm, sometimes it doesn't. Poor old thing.

So it looks like from your advice that I should check if there was a "master/slave/or other" setting, and/or clear the CMOS...I will investigate both of those unless told otherwise. For anything very involved, it may have to wait until mid-week when I have more tech-inclined help in the house. :smile:

Thank you!

There is no "master/slave" setting for SATA - I have no idea why he wanted to go down that line. Clear the CMOS and see if it resumes booting normally. Drivers not being loaded in Windows would have no bearing on POST failing or the machine not booting into Windows, and with Windows 7 if the machine has an Internet connection it will (eventually) find all of the drivers it needs via Windows Update and install them automatically (along with potentially hundreds of other updates (it will, by default, install all required/essential updates from Microsoft - many of these are important security or compatibility patches), depending on how up to date your install media is).

• 4 months later...

for your eye's only I give you Proof of facts:

putting to rest any arguments about this:

http://s26.postimg.org/7s9hr83gp/serial_sata.jpg

Hate to Necro an old thread but anyway as Obobski said SATA drives do not have master/slave jumpers. Those pins ensure SATA 300 drives have backward compatibility with SATA 150 motherboards.

The jumpers reduce throughput negotiation speed with the controller.

The photo is hardly proof it's just a shopped pic, my sister could do that. However that aside, jumpers do cause boot issues when used for no reason.

But someone would had to have jumped it...,, the drives don't come with them stock.

Edited by PillMonster

This point is well dead. the user stated he was "NOT" trying to recover a dead drive so that means the end of this conversation..and what I was doing was taken out of context...way out of context .and you currently are trolling.

Drop it.

Indeed, necroing a five months old topic is against our commenting rules (especially considering that the OP has already indicated that the issue is solved).

Topic locked.