ShadowoftheWolf

What datatype uses bethesda for its bone files? .fbx? (i guess it will pe packed somehow and need to be unpacked)

If you could edit the animation file it would be no problem. I guess with 3dsmax and maya you wont have any problems, they support almost all cummon filetypes. Creating meshes for a stupid bow is no problem.

Nif and .KF for animations, though they are using a new animation format, .hkf

I never used the railway gun, but in some youtube videos it always looked like it would shoot straight in a line. Is this correct?

But there are guns with ballistic physics ingame. Cryo gun i.e. and also the junk jet. So i am pretty sure it is possible. Of course arrows stucking in bodys like with the railway gun is also a great idea.

edit: ah you mentioned skyrim, good point. Copy and Paste existing Bows :laugh: I sometimes forget it is the same engine haha

You do not have to have the same engine to copy Mesh and texture. You can even extract mesh from World of Warcraft or Final Fantasy (as long as you can extract and import back into FO4). I tried using the same skin texture from Skyrim, and it worked with diffuse map (bitmap of the texture). The problem is FO4 reads Normal map file differently, bumpmap and specular map don't work without some conversion.

The much harder thing is how to work the animation.

Most games put their files in some compiled data files. You cannot unpack some data files as simply in every case. But fortunately there are enough games where this is possible.

Some crackers created some batchprograms which can pack and unpack certain data files but i think this is ilegal.

These kind of data is also often created to be implementable to some engine based file library.

Isnt bumpmap and normal map the same? Some engines have some kind of reverted bumpmaps but dont ask me why they do so.

Animation should be editable with maya. You could just create new frames with anouther animation and save it. As i said i neder did for bethesda games but should be possible.

I did for Drag... as i said, ilegal :pinch: :dry:

I'm pretty sure that it can be done and implemented... eventually... as for the materials, wood is pretty much outdated. As an avid Crossbow User/Hunter, I use a Non-Compound 175lb Draw Composite and Carbon Fiber Crossbow. I use 20" Carbon Fiber bolts with 125 grain broad heads. So the materials are already in game. Now for immersion sake, the re-fire rate on a Crossbow like mine would be simply unrealistic. Re-cocking, loading, reacquiring the target, aiming and firing again takes me at least 11 seconds, and I'm experienced (And Stout!) Now a bow on the other hand, could be much faster 2-3 second range. I really can't speak to bows as much. I use a crossbow because I have little use of my left hand and just can't hold a normal bow properly.

It works, though like you can see in the images, it's not visually too appealing. The mesh for the bow was made out of pool cues with nifskope, and frankly the arrows are just down-scaled pool cues as well. Yet with the tools I have access to I can't import any custom meshes, which limits the possibilities I have.

It works, though like you can see in the images, it's not visually too appealing. The mesh for the bow was made out of pool cues with nifskope, and frankly the arrows are just down-scaled pool cues as well. Yet with the tools I have access to I can't import any custom meshes, which limits the possibilities I have.

Are you able to use 3DS Max 2016? Its free for the first 3 years as a "student", that with the plugin at https://github.com/figment/max_nif_plugin/releases would have you setup.

Are you able to use 3DS Max 2016? Its free for the first 3 years as a "student", that with the plugin at https://github.com/figment/max_nif_plugin/releases would have you setup.

I use that, this tool has it's limits, first of all we have problems with collision and animation which would be required to make a bow work in this game and probably Havok tools as well. Making the bow is easy, arrows too, but getting it all to work ingame with animations will be tricky, we do not have the tools for this at this time.

This is an interesting idea, though I would probably perfer simple long bows and short bows ^^

I know I could get it as either unlegit student license version, or as 30 day trial, but since the the former may result in unwanted ending that I don't see worth the benefit despite the minimal risk, and the latter would be only a temporary option and mostly just waste the most of it if I'd be using it mainly for converting models to .nif, I don't see either as plausible option.

I use that, this tool has it's limits, first of all we have problems with collision and animation which would be required to make a bow work in this game and probably Havok tools as well. Making the bow is easy, arrows too, but getting it all to work ingame with animations will be tricky, we do not have the tools for this at this time.

This is an interesting idea, though I would probably perfer simple long bows and short bows ^^

The collision for the bow itself isn't too critical at the moment as the negative effects of the bow lacking proper collision can be currently seen only by dropping it, which results in having it fall halfway inside ground, but this doesn't really affect the usability of it. Arrows may be more important, but I'm not yet certain whether their hit detection is based on collision or other means. Whilst the animations and the models are still at fairly poor level, the mod is mechanically working quite well with some issues that still aren't game breaking.

I know I could get it as either unlegit student license version, or as 30 day trial, but since the the former may result in unwanted ending that I don't see worth the benefit despite the minimal risk, and the latter would be only a temporary option and mostly just waste the most of it if I'd be using it mainly for converting models to .nif, I don't see either as plausible option.

The collision for the bow itself isn't too critical at the moment as the negative effects of the bow lacking proper collision can be currently seen only by dropping it, which results in having it fall halfway inside ground, but this doesn't really affect the usability of it. Arrows may be more important, but I'm not yet certain whether their hit detection is based on collision or other means. Whilst the animations and the models are still at fairly poor level, the mod is mechanically working quite well with some issues that still aren't game breaking.

If you need help getting new meshes into the game, I can help. I use autodesk software all the time. Mostly I use 3ds max to import/export meshes.