Annoying "Oblivion has stopped working" msg

Ghoulz

Windows keeps throwing this in my face everytime I quit the game normally. It's not a really big deal but it costs a little bit of time and it gets annoying after a while.

Im not too sure, but I think it was doing this even before I started pumping the game with mods. Probably more annoying Vista magic at work.

Edited by Ghoulz

A few of the tips I've picked up along the way that have helped reduce (not completely eliminate though) my exit errors.

1) Always save using the Esc menu Save. Quicksave and autosave can create problems. I never quicksave anymore and only load from an autosave when I've neglected to save for too long and get a CTD at an 'inopportune' time.

2) Don't overwrite your saves ... apparently can cause some difficulties as well. Get too many, do a clean-out, archiving some that may have value in another folder outside your My Documents\My Games\Oblivion folder (cuts down the chance of confusion on subsequent 'cleanings'). I recall reading that the Oblivion game engine does a lot of stuff of questionable value around saves (might have been in some of Wyre's musings or somewhere like that).

3) When you exit the game from the Esc menu don't go back to the Main menu ... exit the game. That may be related to some of the problems that can be generated with saves when loading a different save from the main menu without exiting the game (left overs in memory not being purged or related).

It's taken a while, but I don't get nearly so many crashes on exit, and I don't use any 'crash preventers'. It may or may not be related, but I also seldom bring any of my CM Partners for a 'ride along' anymore ... mostly I just use them to mess up my houses to give me something to do when I visit besides drop off loot. It could be that I crashed a lot back when they traveled with me because of some of my other 'habits' that I've since reformed (not slamming CM Partners here people).

Also use weOCPS and Fast Exit. I had precisely your problem once upon a time, and since I installed those two OBSE plugins, that annoying Oblivion issue has never once reared it's ugly head.

I REALLY don't want to use OBSE. I just have bad fears about it plus I can't bear complex plugins. I already tried installing Wyre Bash and that all ended up being more nightmarish than Hell in Doom 3, seriously.

I exited a few times before when I had CM Partners installed with no problems, so im not too sure that's the cause. I don't use quick saves, and stopped with auto-saving, only to find out something I wanted to keep gets overridden by another game cause I got about 7 characters.

I did a couple experiments. It won't do this if I simply start the game, do something like edit video settings, and exit without starting/loading a game.

Then I loaded a game without saving it and exited with no issues. Of course, I didn't play with that save for very long. Some things happen when you let something warm up for a bit.

Who knows. Maybe it's something about saving. Doesn't saving on a new space and deleting your old save get old after a while? Im much too lazy to keep a habit like that going.

Edited by Ghoulz

A lot of game state info is stored in your saves. That gets loaded when you select the save. I didn't start a new character, but I swear my game has gradually gotten more stable at exit since I've started my regimen. It would probably help you to find your most 'stable' save and start from there.

Edit: I have hard drive space out the whazoo ... I don't do my 'spring cleaning' very often.

Edited by Striker879

A lot of game state info is stored in your saves. That gets loaded when you select the save. I didn't start a new character, but I swear my game has gradually gotten more stable at exit since I've started my regimen. It would probably help you to find your most 'stable' save and start from there.

Edit: I have hard drive space out the whazoo ... I don't do my 'spring cleaning' very often.

I only got 38 Gigs left out of 120. This game is taking 12 Gigs total atm. VERY close to my favorite game, Unreal Tournament, and that game has 100x more content installed. Why DOES this game suck up so much freakin space.

Maybe I should give the saving a rest? I been installing a lot of races/clothing, but actually, I really haven't officially started playing. I don't know if saving, removing/adding stuff, saving causes issues. I done most of the saving for customizing my characters and saving them before exiting the sewer.

Crash on exit is a product of using mods. Fairly standard. Trouble is, if you change any settings in-game, and crash on exit, those changes are NOT saved.

Installing obse is as simple as copying a couple files to your Oblivion install folder. Then just set up a shortcut that points to the OBSE_Loader, instead of the Launcher, or Oblivion.exe directly. (if you use the launcher to start the game, OBSE won't load. Have to use OBSE_loader to start the game.)

Installing Fast Exit is just extracting one file to the correct spot. Of course, you have to create the correct spot..... but, that isn't hard either. Give it a shot. You will like it.

Downloaded, installed, launched....(version 20 btw)

I don't trust it. That was too simple. Nothing is ever that nice to me. I just know something is going to bite me sooner or later.

Do I have to make an OBSE folder in data? The download only told me to install two .dll and the launcher. Those two files say to place them in Data/OBSE/Plugins. It will reconize it even if I manually created it?

Forget the weOCPS. Someone's saying it eventually corrupted their save. Better to deal with a crash or two instead of losing your save entirely.

Edited by Ghoulz

Downloaded, installed, launched....(version 20 btw)

I don't trust it. That was too simple. Nothing is ever that nice to me. I just know something is going to bite me sooner or later.

Do I have to make an OBSE folder in data? The download only told me to install two .dll and the launcher. Those two files say to place them in Data/OBSE/Plugins. It will reconize it even if I manually created it?

Forget the weOCPS. Someone's saying it eventually corrupted their save. Better to deal with a crash or two instead of losing your save entirely.

If you don't trust it, you will lose cool mod(it can be something big and complex, or it can be small and useful), I would say. All you have to do is extract OBSE dll files and launcher into Oblivion folder. And all OBSE plugins should go to \data\OBSE\plugins(you have to make the directory, and OBSE will recognize it because it's the 'default' location for OBSE plugins).

Edited by LFact

The Oblivion Script Extender (OBSE) install will not require any additional folders. The files obse_1_2_416.dll and obse_editor_1_2.dll along with either obse_loader.exe (if your have the non-Steam version of the game) OR obse_steam_loader.dll (if you DO have the Steam version of the game) all go in your Oblivion folder (NOT your Data folder ... the one your Data folder is inside of). Looking at the Fast Exit 2 mod description you will then need to create the folders Oblivion\Data\obse and Oblivion\Data\obse\plugins as subdirectories off your Data directory. Scratch that ... looking at the extracted archive you can just right click the Data folder in the extracted archive and copy and then paste into your Oblivion folder, same as any mod and the right folder structure will be created. When you've done it right the file FastExit2.dll will be located in your Oblivion\Data\obse\plugins folder.