Settlers... why they are ridiculous and make your cunning defences meaningless

evilhippo

Settlers... they arrive armed with pathetic pipe pistol pop guns, which fits with the lore just fine, I might add. And so you build a nice fortified walled settlement with them, defended with turrets and traps.

And then a passing deathclaw aggros the settlement and what do they all do? They rush out like so many ragged arsed Rambos and charge at the deathclaw with their pop guns blazing, making your entire lovingly designed defensive settlement utterly pointless. I really do not think Bethesda thought this through very carefully. Use a mod that makes the settlers mortal and they pretty much all just die, suicide by stupidity.

Immersion breaking much?

I like the Better Settlers mod very much but can someone do something about the preposterous hyper aggressive vanilla script that makes the unkillable settlers run out and swarm attack anything that aggros the settlement? They should just stay put and let the turrets do their damn job.

I've had settlers chain aground from Finch farm into the revier satellite array.

*face palm*

It is bad enough the companions are unhelpfully aggressive, that poorly armed settlers launch an assault on some super mutants is just preposterous.

maybe being able to establish limits for their movement .. much like limits for building... just access workshop menu and draw up some limits on the floor and even connecting to objects for cover... maybe a top down view were you can plot the movement and tactics...

for instance you mark 3 different concentric limits... and your settlers start out at the most outer limit and once a certain number of settlers get downed or their health reachs a certain low point they move back to the next limit... and so forth... and in the case they start winning (determined by the number of killed hostiles) they move up the limits... further into the outer limit to increase accuracy...

Also the warning for the attacks on your settlements could come with a degree of danger based on the limit that your settlers have been pushed too... (if they are in the outer limit its a low lvl warning ... if they reach the last limit you created you get a high lvl warning...)

If it is anything like Skyrim, I remember there were different combat 'packages' you could assign to NPCs in the CK. It determined their behavior, mainly in what types of weapons/combat they preferred but I do believe it also affected how they acted (defensive/offensive). I could be wrong on that.. it's been a while.

That might be something.