Problems with install and patching

Zinnia

Ok, so I have been reading over other posts to try and solve my issue, but I am not quite there. Here's the history:

I uninstalled Oblivion and several others games. Completely cleaned out my Games folder. I did not get any errors in the uninstall. I went back through other folders to try and make sure I got everything (Program files, MyDocs, all that). I'm running Win7, and I have GOTY edition. I went to reinstall into the C:/Games as usual.

I'm sitting waiting during the install and everything seems fine. First HUGE red flag is that it never asked for the SECOND disc! It installed the entire thing off one disc. Or tried to tell me so. So I fired it up. Game ran fine. Oddly. At this point it's entirely clean of mods. I uninstalled OBMM, cleaned everything out, and set my mods aside in a folder on my desktop. I even uninstalled the Construction set.

The second huge red flag came when I decided I was going to put the latest version of OBSE on this new install. And this is where I got the common problem. It wouldn't run, said I needed to update to the 1.4.2 patch or whatever. I tried to install the SI patch, and got the same "Old file missing" error message.

I'm at a loss now to figure this out. Obviously I'm not getting a proper install, and I have no idea why. I have retail, hard copy discs. The only thing I can think of is that there is some bad file leftover that is stopping it from installing properly, but I don't know where to look. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

disk one installs old version of blivo

it never asks you for disk 2

disk 2 installs dlc, shivering isles and 1.2.0416 patch

you cannot patch a game already patched to 1.2.0416

so what version is your current install

If you don't use a registry cleaner (such as CCleaner) the leftovers from your previous install can cause problems when you re-install Oblivion (i.e. the installer doesn't prompt for disk 2 because it finds registry entries indicating that SI has already been installed). One of the moderators here, bben46 has posted this uninstall/re-install guide to help get a complete and correct job done.

If you don't use a registry cleaner (such as CCleaner) the leftovers from your previous install can cause problems when you re-install Oblivion (i.e. the installer doesn't prompt for disk 2 because it finds registry entries indicating that SI has already been installed). One of the moderators here, bben46 has posted this uninstall/re-install guide to help get a complete and correct job done.

Thanks for the help :) I've bookmarked that article and I am going to carefully go through it. I figured it was something in the registry, just didn't know how to go about it.

Thanks for the help :) I've bookmarked that article and I am going to carefully go through it. I figured it was something in the registry, just didn't know how to go about it.

Turned out that nothing helped. Fully cleaned the registry and all the temp files out with CCleaner and still not asking for second disc on the install. I guess it just won't work again.

The game NEVER asks for 2nd disc. Oblivion(the whole game) is in one DVD, and installing SI and other DLC is 'completely' optional. (You can update the game without installing SI, for there's Oblivion-only updater. However, if you already patched the game and then install SI, it can cause problem. And once you installed SI, you cannot uninstall it unless uninstall the whole game) Edited by LFact

It won't ask for the second disk. Just put it in, and the autorun should fire off. It will find your install folder on its own. If it doesn't start automagically, open up my computer, right click on your dvd drive with the disk in it, select explore. (not open.) find the setup.exe, right click on that, and select Run as Admin. Edited by HeyYou

Ok, basically I'm retarded and need to show just a LITTLE more initiative lol

Everything is installed and OBSE is up and running no problems. It wasn't a complete waste though because the installation article pointed out very key things and by cleaning my registry and defragging, etc, my computer got some much needed maintenance. Thanks everyone for the help.