whats with the hyenas if i may ask?

puerluna

this might sound like a complaint but really im just curious, as well as enjoy discussing animals with highly-misinterpreted anatomy and taxonamy. i apologize if this seems like its unrelated to this forum category, but it is supposed to be about mods

whenever i see hyenas in mods, theyre always the vanilla wolves with spotted tan fur, even in mods where there are many new creatures with incredibly different modles youd see in the base game to suit the animal or creature at hand. is there a reason for this? or is there just not enough common knowledge of what a hyena really is (its not a dog, its in felaformia, the order of "cat-form"s)? if thats the issue and i didnt lose my tablet pen months ago id gladly pull y'all a spotted hyena out of my ass right now

http://i.imgur.com/HCXQ4XZ.png

(if youd like a drawn-out comparison of the anatomy of these wonderful killers, here is one)

if possible id gladly help anyone who wants to make a ready-use hyena for modders as a resource, if not helping enough by providing this surprisingly lesser-known fun-fact. i may not have my tablet but i can skulpt fine with a mouse, (though shrinking models and texturing has always confused me, so id never be able to do it by myself)

I think the bigger issue is that hyena meshes have to be rigged (since it is the closest thing animation wise) to the wolf skeleton, which unfortunately makes them breath and howl like wolves. I really hate the way sounds are baked into animation files. I know for some things they can be changed in the behaviour files (theoretically, still haven't seen it done), but for wolves and wolf rigs there is no hope :/

Oh gross. Sounds are baked into the animation files? That's terrible. Maybe it should be possible to like duplicate the skeleton and change the sounds. I dunno what I'm talking about here really as I know nothing about modeling or animation. But I'm very much interested in new monsters.