Why is the media focused more on the royal wedding then the massive to

marharth

Maybe I am just crazy, but I think that tornadoes killing 100 or so people across the south is much more important that two rich people getting married.

Sure, show footage of the marriage itself, don't report constantly on the dress and all that other crap, more important things are going on.

I may be wrong, but this isn't even the prince that will take the throne anyways right?

Local news has been doing a better job, but FOX, MSNBC, and CNN have been reporting the wedding like it was something life changing, it doesn't matter to most people.

Does a death poll have to be over 1000 to be counted as important? Is our society really so f***ed up that we care more about two rich people in a marriage then natural disasters killing people?

How many people have to die before it becomes more important then a wedding. 500? 1000? Does it need to be a terrorist attack?

I find it completely insane that the media can just droll all over the wedding when other s*** is going on.

Also, I am referring to the USA of course.

EDIT: Title was too long, can a moderator edit it to be shorter for me...

Edited by marharth

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, off to the Tower with this varlet!

For starters, you are wrong. Prince William is second in line to the throne, he will succeed after his father, Prince Charles, but Queen Elizabeth is in such good health it isn't going to be any time soon.

No-one has forgotten or ignored the bad things that are going on, I have certainly been following the stories of the storms in the southern USA, and regularly Skype with friends who live there.

But sometimes, among all the misery, people like to see a splash of colour and have a good knees up, and just forget the crappy economy, the wars and terrorism and disasters. It's called escapism. We do pageantry really well in Britain. And we can even send ourselves up in the process....

Royal Wedding Bloopers

Especially the cartwheeling verger....

And hell yes, she looked bloody gorgeous in that dress!

People simply love Cinderella tales more than the horror of daily life. That's it.

As I said, it is possible to enjoy a grand and beautiful spectacle as a moment of escapism. After all, are we not all posting on a forum that is associated with video gaming? Is that not also a way of gaining escape from the stresses and strains of every day horrors?

Hmmm...you know DeTomaso you remind me of someone, but I guess I have had too much Royal Wedding champers to figure it out....

People simply love Cinderella tales more than the horror of daily life. That's it.

As I said, it is possible to enjoy a grand and beautiful spectacle as a moment of escapism. After all, are we not all posting on a forum that is associated with video gaming? Is that not also a way of gaining escape from the stresses and strains of every day horrors?

Hmmm...you know DeTomaso you remind me of someone, but I guess I have had too much Royal Wedding champers to figure it out....

I wasn't sure about the price, so thanks for telling me about that.

I have a lot less issues with people who use the royal wedding as a form of escapism, but what pisses me off is that media is focusing more on that then the serious stuff.

Also, fox news is covering it yes.

So is MSNBC, and CNN.

They are focusing too much on the royal wedding though, that is my issue.

The big story should not be the wedding, it should be the tornadoes.

Edited by marharth

These weddings are a very rare occasion (the last one in the direct line was Diana and Charles, 30-odd years ago), and as others have pointed out, it's probably one of the only things the British do better than most...throwing a damn good royal spectacle full of pomp and class. It was a brilliant occasion. That a brilliant, respectful, joyous occasion got covered more than a tragic one is actually a breathe of fresh air in modern media considering how much we as people love to revel in and focus on our own misery.

The events in the South of the USA have also been covered extensively here in the UK, and the tragedy is not forgotten. But for now, for us, it is great to focus on something happy and brilliant for a change and see the whole country (for the most part) come together to celebrate.

These weddings are a very rare occasion (the last one in the direct line was Diana and Charles, 30-odd years ago), and as others have pointed out, it's probably one of the only things the British do better than most...throwing a damn good royal spectacle full of pomp and class. It was a brilliant occasion. That a brilliant, respectful, joyous occasion got covered more than a tragic one is actually a breathe of fresh air in modern media considering how much we as people love to revel in and focus on our own misery.

The events in the South of the USA have also been covered extensively here in the UK, and the tragedy is not forgotten. But for now, for us, it is great to focus on something happy and brilliant for a change and see the whole country (for the most part) come together to celebrate.

Maybe I am just pessimistic then...

Another thing I would like to add to this, isn't Kate Middleton from a millionaire family?

I understand that she would be considered a "Commoner" due to non royal status, but seriously?