Unfortunately, the videos are no longer available. Does anyone have similar tutorials handy, either in video or written form?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey, I'm trying to make a mod where if you trigger the cannibalism action, the corpse you eat gets gored up, so it just explodes into whatever would happen if you dismembered it

anyone want to tell me where I should start, I have FO4Edit but I don't know how to make sense of it, I found the cannibal perk but not sure what to do next

• 1 month later...

2 video tutorials to help newer CK users create a working settlement:

Â

Create a settlement tutorial - part 1 the basics

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1xiN7krLck

Â

Create a settlement tutorial - part 2 the complexities or "a brief look at navmesh, water, base objects"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XLM3cczqGs

Â

These tutorials assume you have basic control of CK, ie you can load cells, move around them, move objects etc, and present a "quick" routine way of creating settlements. As such, it's well worth keeping this text based guide to hand.

Thank you so much for this mods. I'm pretty green with the CK, and made my first settlement last night using your videos. I did end up with hapiness at 0 when testing, but I still learned a lot,and will go back and see if I missed anything.

• 2 months later...

I wanted to add a recommendation for a 3DS Max tutorial series. Etheron told me about Arrimus 3D and I've found it fantastic for 3DS Max beginners. Can confirm that so far methods still work on newer 3DS Max so I'd say everything's still valid this is very nice for me since I hate it when I find some tutorial for outdated versions and then I find the stuff they were talking about isn't even in my version because they overhauled it some point. Like I googled UV mapping tutorials and found one that teaches some old way that doesn't exist anymore. I find reading the help manual can be good but doesn't give a complete understanding like you'd get from tutorials.

There are 157 videos so intermediate/expert modders can probably learn stuff by looking at the later videos. He also has ZBrush tutorial series with 100+ videos but I haven't looked at it yet as I'm going through the 3DS Max series. I'm still not sure if I should focus on Photoshop or Zbrush. I've used a bit of Photoshop but don't like it for trying to make stuff from scratch.

2 video tutorials to help newer CK users create a working settlement:
Â
Create a settlement tutorial - part 1 the basics

Â
Create a settlement tutorial - part 2 the complexities or "a brief look at navmesh, water, base objects"

Â
These tutorials assume you have basic control of CK, ie you can load cells, move around them, move objects etc, and present a "quick" routine way of creating settlements. As such, it's well worth keeping this text based guide to hand.

Thank you so much for this mods. I'm pretty green with the CK, and made my first settlement last night using your videos. I did end up with hapiness at 0 when testing, but I still learned a lot,and will go back and see if I missed anything.

Interesting, somehow I didn't spot this one. Might give it a try sometime.

I may have missed some obvious answers in other forums, but, do mods still work? I don't seem to be able to use any mods over since Bethesda added the 'mods' section to the standard Fallout 4 game... Is anyone else unable to add mods to their Fallout 4 since then?

• 2 months later...

I just got my very first gaming laptop, and I am pretty new to the concept of modding (on a desktop) for I also modded a bit on console. Anyway my laptop auto configs fallout 4 to ultra. Here are the screen shots. https://imgur.com/s5X4rr6 https://imgur.com/tRJ85zx

So my question, would I be able to have a stable run with all and any sort of mods with these settings? (Ex: ENB Mods, Landscape Overhauls, Quest Overhauls, basically any mod that consoles could not run, reason why I got a laptop lol) Or would I have to lower most settings one or two times? I have an i7-4710HQ (which is just below the recommended spec) GTX 970m 3gb, 16gb Ram? Thank you!

Edited by ElCosteno

• 1 year later...

Hi,

I've been away from FO4 for a loooong time. A long time ago I managed to get an outfit mod into the game but my workflow was a bit sloppy. I want to try getting back into modding FO4 and i was wondering if anyone can recommend any complete guides on here or on youtube for how to do standalone outfits, standalone weapons and replacer weapons. Not sure what you guys call them but by standalone i mean that i want the outfit or weapon to be its own thing instead of copying over or overwriting an existing in game item.

I know how to make the stuff and texture it in Blender. But what i needed help with is assigning skinweights to the stuff that i made, making outfits useable with bodyslide, and getting the folders and files organized so that it loads properly in FO4. I think i do have an old tutorial on how to copy skin weights but it was for Maya and not Blender.

I'll check both sticky threads to see if i can find anything. But i thought i'd ask too in case any of that stuff is out of date or if there is a newer/better source out there.

Edited by glossedsfm

• 2 weeks later...

So I'm very new to modding and i have very limited tutorials i have access to because I'm having a very specific problem.

I'm trying to import a nif into blender and I have installed the following (in order):

Python 2.6.6

Blender 2.49b

PYFFI 2.1.11

NifScripts 2.5.9

NIfskope 2.0.0

I have followed a lot of tutorials and I was able to get the previous info from them, but they seem to be missing some extra steps because when I try to import a Fallout 4 nif into blender I get

ValueError('array too long (%i)' % len1)
ValueError: array too long (4294967295)

Can someone please tell me what I'm missing, this has been frustratingly difficult.

• 10 months later...

Hi,

I've been away from FO4 for a loooong time. A long time ago I managed to get an outfit mod into the game but my workflow was a bit sloppy. I want to try getting back into modding FO4 and i was wondering if anyone can recommend any complete guides on here or on youtube for how to do standalone outfits, standalone weapons and replacer weapons. Not sure what you guys call them but by standalone i mean that i want the outfit or weapon to be its own thing instead of copying over or overwriting an existing in game item.

I know how to make the stuff and texture it in Blender. But what i needed help with is assigning skinweights to the stuff that i made, making outfits useable with bodyslide, and getting the folders and files organized so that it loads properly in FO4. I think i do have an old tutorial on how to copy skin weights but it was for Maya and not Blender.

I'll check both sticky threads to see if i can find anything. But i thought i'd ask too in case any of that stuff is out of date or if there is a newer/better source out there.

It's a shame how dead this forum is, you might have better success asking these things in the creation kit section or find some active modders on some discord or something.

Making your mods standalone involves Creation Kit (this is a good set of tutorials: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLdgnPRg9ELn32T2fZXP8iPyWCjUIN8jHa ) or if it's a really simple one, you can just use FO4edit. I do recommend learning the Creation Kit though as it opens the doors to much more things you can do there.

This is a decent guide for armor/clothing: https://wiki.nexusmods.com/index.php/Creating_an_armour_for_Fallout_4._Part_1 A bit old but that stuff has not changed much. I would not however recommend using the blender 2.49b and the ancient nif plugin. It's a huge hassle to get working if it even does and I think you still need 3dmax to convert them to fallout 4 format.

Problem with the Blender workflow I found is that the fbx import export plugin seems to be missing some data on the bone orientations and the skeletons end up broken, so I prefer doing the weight painting in Outfit Studio. Maya has the bonefix script, but I couldn't find anything like that for blender.. So the easiest solution I found is to use Outfit Studio as a work around. Export your mesh as OBJ, import into Outfit Studio. You can assign a material and some shader settings for it in properties. If it's clothing or a body, just import some other similar mesh as a reference and copy the bone weights. Right click and select mask weighted verticles and if there are any unmasked verticles, do the copy again with a larger radius or adjust the missing weights manually. I recommend pressing T to disable textures to see the masks and colored weights better. You can even rig entire body meshes with this method. When finished, export the mesh as a .nif and you are done.

Weapons and other non-skinned items need a few extra steps. They usually import into the outfit studio just fine but since the program is for clothing, the nif's are missing some data, mainly collisions. First of all go to the shape's properties tab in Outfit Studio and untick the skinned and sub-index boxes in the geometry tab. Also untick smooth seam normals if you want your mesh to have sharp edges. Next export as nif and open the nif with nifskope, you should see a NiNode branch with your mesh, if your mesh is marked as a BSsubIndexTriShape you didnt untick the box in the previous step ;). You can just right click the mesh and convert it to BSTriShape here. Then copy the collisions and possibly other stuff you miss from another mesh. You can also adjust and set the material paths here. There are detailed tutorials for NifSkope out there, I don't want to get into details here, just go to youtube or google :). Anyways that's how I've been able to get working custom assets from Blender into the game without much trouble.

Another thing I recommend is to get Mod Organizer 2 if you're not using it already as it helps to keep the game install folder clean and switching between profiles to test mods becomes a breeze.

So I'm very new to modding and i have very limited tutorials i have access to because I'm having a very specific problem.

I'm trying to import a nif into blender and I have installed the following (in order):

Python 2.6.6

Blender 2.49b

PYFFI 2.1.11

NifScripts 2.5.9

NIfskope 2.0.0

I have followed a lot of tutorials and I was able to get the previous info from them, but they seem to be missing some extra steps because when I try to import a Fallout 4 nif into blender I get

ValueError('array too long (%i)' % len1)

ValueError: array too long (4294967295)

Can someone please tell me what I'm missing, this has been frustratingly difficult.

I touched on the subject a little bit in the previous post but I feel your frustration as I was going through the same swamp not so long ago. The part that is missing, is you need to convert the mesh first into the older fallout 3 format. That old plugin does not support the fallout 4 nif format. 3ds Max and its nif plugin can do this and then you can import the mesh into the 2.49b blender, but you may need to mess with the import export settings a lot to get it working. Or if you want-/have to use free tools I suggest exploring the other workflow explained above using the Outfit Studio as a middle man converting the nif's to obj's. If you need the skeleton into blender, I believe there was an uploaded .blend skeleton in the modders resources that you can append.