How Many Mods are too much?

piddy3825

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

I have not read this entire post and other answers but currently I have 284 mods and 230 plugins and I love it. The only problem is when I start getting CTDs after an update and have to figure out what is causing it. This can take hours!

Also you do not need a good pc to play heavily modded fallout. Specs:

CPU: AMD 760K 3.8GHz (4.2GHz boost)

RAM: 16Gb DDR3

GPU: SAPPHIRE Radeon R7 260X

I have long load times (my entire game folder is 40Gb) but in all performance isn't bad. 1920x1080p medium settings gets me 40-60 FPS depending on the situation (the fog on far harbor brings me to 25-45)

400 and runnin pefectly

I have not read this entire post and other answers but currently I have 284 mods and 230 plugins and I love it. The only problem is when I start getting CTDs after an update and have to figure out what is causing it. This can take hours!

I have long load times (my entire game folder is 40Gb) but in all performance isn't bad. 1920x1080p medium settings gets me 40-60 FPS depending on the situation (the fog on far harbor brings me to 25-45)

400 and runnin pefectly

Yeah. I have around 350 right now and still have room for some more. I get the occasional CTD about once every few days- but that is due to my potato pc. Merging plug-ins is the key. Plus Wryebash helps with the leveled lists. This game is a breeze to mod compared to others.

• 2 years later...

That would be depends on what type of pc you're playing. If you're playing with pc that specialized for gaming, i could take a guess about 250+ and the game still functional. Mine is Acer Nitro - semi gaming pc type, and let me tell you this: mine limit reaches 200 mods, and the game kicked the bucket from then on when i tried to surpassed the limit. now i have to re-install the entire game, and now i have to consider which mods should i install.

Don't be greedy - many mods are so cool that you want to get them all, but then, it's important that if your pc is capable of running them all. i have to scrape all the data and then reinstall fresh to get things right - back to square one. So as soon as you see signs that your game about to be overload with mods, stop right there

Be thoughtful, be generous, and happy gaming, fellow wanderers of the Commonwealth.

Ok, granted...yes, the PC that the game is installed on, is definitely a big factor.

But here's what I have not seen anybody post about yet.

With the game set limit aside, it's not so much about how many mods you are running, it's about What those mods DO.

It's about how well those mods Play TOGETHER.

And, it's about how well you Manage all those mods.

And lastly, it's about how you UNINSTALL mods.

If you're trying to run a whole bunch of overhaul mods, that dig their talons deep into the core of the game... chances are they're gonna conflict and cause problems. If you try to install a bunch of mods that affect the same things. Not gonna play together well. If at all.

Keep your load order straightened out and organized by what those mods do. The things the game absolutely Has to know, goes first. The things that take the most priority for the game to read, goes last.

And here's what I have seen tons of people do. They just install mods, try them out on their regular game, and then uninstall them. Corrupting their savegames.

No, you don't test mods on your regular game. You test mods on test saves that you can delete with no regrets. Because many mods have scripts. Scripts bake into your savegames, and you can't clean them out. When the mod that the script is looking for, is no longer there, you now have an orphaned script. Those cause problems that just get bigger over time, cause game instability, and bloated or corrupt saves.

While some mods are perfectly safe to remove during the middle of a playthrough, there's just as many, if not more, that aren't safe to do so. If you are going to play with mods in this game, you need to have at least a small idea of what stuff is, and what it does. You need to read the requirements, and you need to look at posts in the comments sections, and look at the preview of the mod files, to see what's in it.

Another mistake that I see people make, is "Oh, I installed a bunch of mods, and now my game doesn't work! HELP ME!!"

That's retarded. You don't install mods a lot of them at a time, unless you are ready to remember each and every one of them that you installed, so you know a general idea of where the problem hit, and then how to deal with it.

I'm always lookin' to cut out the mods that don't do much, and can't be made into ESLs. Right now my NMM tells me i've got 236 plugins active.

I only just learned how to put an ESL flag on light mods that can be flagged as such. It seems so easy that I wonder if I did it right... if I DID do it right then I can put another hundred mods in my game!

All my mods work very well together, too. So far i've only encountered one very, very small conflict at one spot. (when meeting Skinny Malone at the end of the Vault, when I try to ask him "What's going on", the game borks up. If i use any other dialogue choice, it works out just fine) Everything else is working 100% as expected in-game. My only problem seems to be save-crashing... About 1 out of 10 times when I try to save, the game will instead instantly crash. But I save every hour, so I only ever lose up to 1 hour of gameplay.

400 and runnin pefectly

Yeah. I have around 350 right now and still have room for some more. I get the occasional CTD about once every few days- but that is due to my potato pc. Merging plug-ins is the key. Plus Wryebash helps with the leveled lists. This game is a breeze to mod compared to others.

You don't happen to have any link to a nice guide on how to merge plugins, do you? I tried it in the past, but seems like I failed. The merge never seemed to work.

Heyas LL! Yeah, doing some of the conversion to flagged ESP's can definitely help out with the load order, when you've got more mods that you want to add to your game :)

Merging plugins tho, can be really dangerous for this game. It's actually recommended not to try it. Especially not for active playthroughs, because of how the game sets up the ID's based on load order. All I'll really say, is that if somebody can do it right, they also have to combine the BSA files, if there are any, and then go in and reset the pathways for the meshes and textures and animations, or whatever is in the bsa files. IF I understand that correctly.

Is that right, folks, or am I misunderstanding that?

Also, does anybody have any info on the limitations of ESL flagged ESP files? How does the game go about counting up the limits on those? Is it still by container count, like with regular ESL files? What other potential downfalls are there to these?

TIA!