Porting content from other games

I'm personally aware of several cases where artists were asked for, and granted, their authorization to upload renditions of game themes as mods.

Example 1: "Intro music replacement by Malukah".

Example 2: (Full Disclosure -- My fav, since I'm the one who FB'd the request to her to keep another member out of trouble...)

"Main Theme - Piano and Violin by Taylor and Lara".

I've often wondered about that.

Rabbit

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm just a little confused, so I thought I'd got some clarification before I begin modding.

I'm thinking about starting a project that would have a scripted music score in it, primarily made up of tracks by Two Steps From Hell, but I noticed the other day that a nexus user (faders111) got banned for uploading music from them without obtaining permission. So I figured that my idea was bust, but happened to go on the TSFH website and under FAQS, it says as long as we're not making a profit off our actions (such as using it to advertise something you'd have to buy), and give them full credit, their permission to use is given.

So I guess I should ask, is my idea still bust, or am I okay as long as I give them credits on the page for each track I use?

Edited by DragonKnightBob

I'm just a little confused, so I thought I'd got some clarification before I begin modding.

I'm thinking about starting a project that would have a scripted music score in it, primarily made up of tracks by Two Steps From Hell, but I noticed the other day that a nexus user (faders111) got banned for uploading music from them without obtaining permission. So I figured that my idea was bust, but happened to go on the TSFH website and under FAQS, it says as long as we're not making a profit off our actions (such as using it to advertise something you'd have to buy), and give them full credit, their permission to use is given.

So I guess I should ask, is my idea still bust, or am I okay as long as I give them credits on the page for each track I use?

I think it's a pretty solid idea, but you have to document and show on your description page your permissions.

I don't believe the person who was banned showed any such permissions, and it is not the staff's responsibility to do the uploaders' homework for them. You are required to show permission for your uploaded assets. If this is not done, you've taken your chances.

If you are concerned, run it by me or any of the staff before you upload. Good luck and have fun!

• 1 month later...

Just so that I can fully understand: What EXACTLY is porting? It sounds to me like porting is taking a pre-made item from another game, or a movie or whatever, and putting it in a different game. But, that's exactly what most 'more items' mods are, on this site. I really just need a good explanation, because I'm thinking about doing something like MERP, but with World of Warcraft being what the mod revolves around, instead of LotR.. But, I don't want to do that if it's against forum rules. Nothing would be stolen or ripped from World of Warcraft, but (like most mods that add stuff) I may make some new textures designed to look like weapons, armor and the likes from WoW, and add them to Skyrim.

All in all, I just need a 'perfect,' easy to understand definition of porting. TY

Just so that I can fully understand: What EXACTLY is porting? It sounds to me like porting is taking a pre-made item from another game, or a movie or whatever, and putting it in a different game. But, that's exactly what most 'more items' mods are, on this site. I really just need a good explanation, because I'm thinking about doing something like MERP, but with World of Warcraft being what the mod revolves around, instead of LotR.. But, I don't want to do that if it's against forum rules. Nothing would be stolen or ripped from World of Warcraft, but (like most mods that add stuff) I may make some new textures designed to look like weapons, armor and the likes from WoW, and add them to Skyrim.

All in all, I just need a 'perfect,' easy to understand definition of porting. TY

Porting is: Taking meshes and/or textures from one game, and then moving them straight from their original game, into another.

It is however, permitted to use other games as a visual reference, that is, just looking at them and then making your own meshes and textures from scratch. Even if you are good enough to make it look 100% like the originsal, it's not considered to be porting. (If there is ever any doubt, one can simply take a look on the meshes wireframe, or the textures to make certain).

So as long as you make the meshes and textures yourself, you are good. Want to make the assassins creed armor? go ahead and do that. As long as you use meshes and textures that weren't made by Ubisoft, it isn't porting.

Then there are also cases where you do have ports, but you have received permission from the developers. Here is for example my port of DA2 armors to DA:O:

http://dragonage.nexusmods.com/mods/3098

These WOULD have been illegal if it weren't that Bioware has permitted their dragon age assets to be ported across all games in the same series (and thus its allowed to port back and forth DA:O and DA2, but any ports from any dragon age game to a bethesda game would be illegal)

Another example is the witcher armors. CD-Projekt RED has been generous enough to allow any kind of porting from their games to others.

• 1 month later...

The developers of STALKER also allow porting of content to other games. There were (are) mods on nexus that have weapons, armor, creatures and soundtracks from STALKER for FO3 and FNV.

The author of A Requiem for a Capital Wasteland pulled his mod because of this porting issue.

And not just GSC (the publishers of the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series.) CD Projekt allows use of assets from "The Witcher" series in other games, and BioWare allows use of its Dragon Age assets in mods across the DA series, (unlike Bethesda!) :thumbsup:

But I'm not slamming BethSoft. Their games often employ resources from third parties which are licensed only for a particular release. They do not have the authority to allow use in other games, even their own. :armscrossed:

• 2 weeks later...

I not found appropriate thread, so i decide to ask there. (don't beat me if i was wrong...)

Why modder can't use content from DAZ 3D software in his mod ?

On DAZ official forum i saw FAQ where they allow to use models and its modifications in other games.

Edited by Anton0028

I not found appropriate thread, so i decide to ask there. (don't beat me if i was wrong...)

Why modder can't use content from DAZ 3D software in his mod ?

On DAZ official forum i saw FAQ where they allow to use models and its modifications in other games.

Next time when you refer to an external source, please provide a link to that source so we can verify your claims. I only found the following collection of questions and answers:

https://helpdaz.zendesk.com/forums/133380-licensing-and-legal

Basically, based on the above information, you can do whatever you want with the models and textures that you created in DAZ, but you cannot touch models distributed as an official DAZ package.

Sorry, there is a link: click

(I found this link on site of one of the modders.)

There was a question "Can I modify the models and use them in my game?" and they said "Yes.".

So it seems, if i purchased "Developer License", i can use DAZ models in other games freely.