Possible Road Block For Fallout 4 Modding: Talking Protagonist

Deleted31449895User

You can probably cut & splice existing dialog and make it sound fairly decent. That was done on the Bittercup companion for FO3 and I expanded on that when I ported her for FONV and added more dialog options. It may have sounded a bit William Shatner-ish, but overall quite passable.

Bittercup had about 10 lines of dialogue to cut and splice... Not a big pallet to work form.

The player character has tens of thousands of lines of dialogue to work with.

Anyways, I am going to record new lines for the player characters, Hancock, Nick Valentine, and Piper. It isn't hard to match the voice with a skilled voice actor and a little bit of audio engineering.

Much better than a silent player character in my opinion.

Edited by TeamBacon

Yep, with as much dialogue as there is for the player character, I'd think it wouldn't be difficult to cut & splice something quite acceptable and IMO, would be far better and less immersion-breaking than a silent character.

How much work would it be to match a different voice using audio engineering? I've played around with Audacity and haven't been able to make one voice sound like another. Granted, there are probably much better programs for that. I do think if the voice is noticeably different, it would be very immersion-breaking. The Companion Vilja mod for Skyrim has some added voices to existing NPCs and it made me think, "yikes!" when I heard them. The Vilja mod for Oblivion mostly just left the additional dialog on NPCs silent and that was also very immersion-breaking for me.

Yep, with as much dialogue as there is for the player character, I'd think it wouldn't be difficult to cut & splice something quite acceptable and IMO, would be far better and less immersion-breaking than a silent character.

How much work would it be to match a different voice using audio engineering? I've played around with Audacity and haven't been able to make one voice sound like another. Granted, there are probably much better programs for that. I do think if the voice is noticeably different, it would be very immersion-breaking. The Companion Vilja mod for Skyrim has some added voices to existing NPCs and it made me think, "yikes!" when I heard them. The Vilja mod for Oblivion mostly just left the additional dialog on NPCs silent and that was also very immersion-breaking for me.

It is all just a matter of how well you know your stuff. I am not an expert at audio engineering, so it takes me a bit of trial and error to make myself sound like Hancock. I am also not a very good voice actor. My friend on the other hand could do it in his sleep, but he has been audio engineering for rock bands for years.

I found a guy who could match the male protagonist's voice within my first week of looking. Well, I wasn't even looking, I just kind of bumped into the guy. His work was amazing until he disappeared off the face of the earth like most voice actors do.

But if I can find one that easy, I'm not worried about finding another.

I am not actively recruiting at the time however, as I want to show people just how much I have gotten done by MYSELF before I start trying to get voice actors and stuff to dedicate their time. I think it is kind of silly to be publicly announcing and recruiting for a mod when you don't have anything amazing to bring to the table.

I think I will make a full scale trailer before I publicly announce my stuff.

Using the existing lines is probably my personal preference. We've got 13,000 lines of spoken dialogue to choose from and you can enhance that by editing lines a little although there are definite limits there. Maybe even get a voice actor to impersonate the sole survivor's voice actor for a couple of lines that you can mix in with the genuine ones to expand your options.

Yeah there's a fair amount of generic 'I'll help you but what is in it for me' 'of course I'll help' 'no' 'yes' lines that a modder could use. There are limits, but they go a long way.

Conveniently I'm planning a quest mod right now that involves talking to an AI that communicates only in text.

Conveniently I'm planning a quest mod right now that involves talking to an AI that communicates only in text.

Clever idea. I think this is something else we'll see a lot of in our mods, not necessarily typing, but modders coming up with a variety of ways around the problem and thus avoiding it.

Are you going to do that using the in-game terminal?