Skyrim is getting dull.

dragonasaur

Hi! I'm approaching 1900 hours and while I've completed many quests including killing the main dragon there are many quests I have not done: Thieves Guild, Dark Brotherhood, etc. But doing more quests isn't what's keeping me in Skyrim: I find the game endlessly enjoyable.

You did not indicate any mods you've tried. For me it has always been about the house (I've tested many...even "built" a few of my own). Also tested followers, especially Vilja. But my main companion is and always will be my horse (the black Whiterun one.)

But I very recently began testing "immersion" mods. Climates of Tamriel, Realistic Lighting Overhaul, Wet & Cold, Frostfall. Also Helgen Reborn. All of these are outstanding game changers (for me, anyway.)

And the cap, the pinnacle mod IMO, is Climates of Tamriel's Winter Edition, which makes all of Skyrim snow country. I just uploaded 5 pics to one of my mods showing Rorikstead and Riverwood in snow, which you can see here in the first 5 pics (Whiterun Hold, Falkreath, Riften and the rest are also now snow):

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/71690?

The snow really compliments Frostfall.

HELGEN REBORN: I'm about half way through Helgen Reborn's rebuilding and I must say that it is also the best "house" mod in the game. But one really should be at least lvl 20 as the author suggests, as some of the fights are tough. Very well done, professional quests.

FROSTFALL WITH ITS CAMPING: Another game changer for me. I'm actually currently setting Frostfall to a mild setting.

WET & COLD: Outstanding. NPC's react to weather with hoods, and also adopt backpacks. Can see frosted breath from NPC's and horse.

I'll probably also add something like Ineed for food requirements.

So...I have done many new play starts and will soon do another. This time completely out-of-the-box for me. Probably use an Alternate Start mod and the Hunterborn mod and someone other than a Nord warrior (no beasts, though). Become a hunter, living off the land with my excellent Frostfall camping system (it's also available as an independent mod). Stay a hunter until near lvl 20 or so, then start the Helgen thing to destroy the town so I can then install Helgen Reborn*, rebuild it and live there. Shaping up to a really beautiful town that you/we basically run. I always play the same Nord warrior so try someone else (funny, I try to make the character look a little like me!)

Dropped armor long ago for regular clothes. IMO most armor looks too much like an insect, and I don't want to run around Skyrim looking like a bug. Besides, I have not yet found that armor really makes a difference and I can defeat enemies in regular clothes. Of course, Frostfall changed that in favor of fur, hoods and capes (come with the mod.)

Oh, forgot: I have been turning off my HUD and that alone really adds some immersion, but need practice to avoid picking-up things you shouldn't. Yesterday just installed IHUD, which seems to be the best of both: HUD off until you need a cross-hair or compass.

Good luck on your Skyrim journey!

​_____________________

*Assuming Helgen Reborn works with an Alternate Start...have to check that. Otherwise, start as normal then immediately become a hunter until lvl 20.

PS: before Skyrim it has always been first person shooter for me. After Skyrim none of that interests me anymore. Swords, shields...seems like so much more than simply shooting.

SPH1's Rorikstead Farm House: http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/68880
SPH1's Saxon Norman Rorikstead Fort (adopted from Draig77): http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/71690
Helgen House WIP: http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/72123
L-shape Whiterun Farm House: http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/72368
Youtube:
Mounted Horse Combat: www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tmdH_zdDm8&feature=youtu.be

Edited by SPH1

I have been playing since the launch.

I view Skyrim as a fantasy simulator & I treat it as such.

Starting back in 2000 every Saturday morning if I was home I would look on web sites for mods to add to what ever sim I was playing. In 2007 I switched from plane & train simulators to Oblivion & this site. Since 2011 I have been adding & removing mods in this game. If I get bored I play something else for a while. Right now it is Fallout 4 & later this year it will revisit Oblivion at 4k with ENB. I will still be checking mods & updates every Saturday for Skyrim. If I add a mod it will need to be tested. If I add armor I will probably have to do some mining & in my game that is an adventure in its self. I have not been the Dragonborn since 2012 & still find plenty to do with the right mods.

I not only have to find the right clothes for my character, I need them for the 100 plus followers(can't have them wearing the same cloths) in my game as well & using MHIYH they are much better than mannequins to display them.

If you are bored, Play as a healer only. carry no destruction spells or weapons. Use followers to do battle & your job is to keep them alive. Use the mod "Death Alternative" so you can save them & they can save you. I know, It dose not sound like fun but it is the most fun I have had in any game.

Later

Hopefully, Skyrim will hold out till good and stable quest mods, etc... via the creation kit are available for Fallout 4. Hopefully, Fallout 4 will hold out until The Elder Scrolls 6 is finally released and we can start the cycle anew. I assume this means Skyrim will need to suffice until Spring 2017.

And spring 2017 will be a turning point when we will massively delete Skyrim from our hard drives, right?

Seriously, looking at F4 I have VERY bad feeling about TES6, as much as Skyrim itself is broken mess, I'm still very firm believer that Beth can do worse... much worse.

Well, there's trying your own hand at modding.

or PerMa, ERSO if you can find it, ACE, Sperg, Ordinatar(sp?)

I have a personal .bat that starts me with no spells, zero in all skills, and only 50 each in the three stats. Then I can grow organically as I choose

Have fun getting the "requirements for the mage college" mod, and set it so you must have a min 40 in one school with 200 magicka before you can become a student. Add in "Tomes - immersive spell learning" but with a twist; instead of the author's set-up (restricted learning the novice, but then can learn any after that school is unlocked) use the reverse: you can use any novice spell just by reading the book, but you cant learn the higher level spells until you unlock the perk.

There are several Vigilant of Stendar, Forsworn, and other dlc-sized questlines now, created by talented modders.

Heck, if you want full-on crazy (i did this once for laughs) download all the "my little pony" on the nexus, and play a few hours of that. There are several youtube videos of "skyrim hell" where the vlogger asks for submissions to mod out his game, and then plays. Try that.

Between the game itself and the 40K+ mods, if Skyrim is getting "boring", you simply arent exploring enough.

Lets say i had stopped playing "Skyrim" at lest 3 times .

but what made me come back is reinstalling the game and not braking it up.

and i know a lot of ppl quit Skyrim because they modded it soo much that the game broke (or its just me ;-; ).

Anyway - If you want you need to find what stuff would you like to have new in Skyrim ;

Like me i love stuff that i could "Roleplay" with like some Camping mods , some NPC's mods , some war mods , indeed some performance mods , some more mods , more mods , more mods , and more music.

and well just go play something else if you don't want to play Skyrim like i did , i played a lot of games and then returned to lovely Skyrim and now i can't quit it ;-;

And spring 2017 will be a turning point when we will massively delete Skyrim from our hard drives, right?

Seriously, looking at F4 I have VERY bad feeling about TES6, as much as Skyrim itself is broken mess, I'm still very firm believer that Beth can do worse... much worse.

Hell no. Looking at Fallout 4, all I see is potential. It's an improvement in almost every way over Skyrim, even if some of its fantastic mechanics are underutilized (it's dialogue system for instance).

If Bethesda is able to even exercise half the potential the developments in Fallout 4 offer, in TES6, it'll be a fantastic game. It's been nothing but onward and upward since the s#*!-show that was Oblivion.

Hell no. Looking at Fallout 4, all I see is potential. It's an improvement in almost every way over Skyrim, even if some of its fantastic mechanics are underutilized (it's dialogue system for instance).

If Bethesda is able to even exercise half the potential the developments in Fallout 4 offer, in TES6, it'll be a fantastic game. It's been nothing but onward and upward since the s***-show that was Oblivion.

I agree, I can finally have my own farm and earn living that way, the quests are few but better, followers are also good-great and some of the quests like Nick and Danse, uss and big dig crush 60% of Skyrim side, faction, and main into ground and piss at them. Few, but better.

The map is also a boss and the improved lighting only makes it better. I have just fought ghouls in half sunken town overgrown with flora on the roofs. Let not forget combat vs anything not human is vastly different from each other and well done. There is a robot that has mode many types and each attack in the different way. Hope is not lost people. In a way, if fallout has 10 more side quests, it will kick Skyrim ass hard. It also more stable.

Edited by Boombro