Nexonian US Military  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Which branch are you in?

• Marine Corps
    • Army
    • Navy
    • Air Force
    • Coast Guard
    • In the Military, but not the US Military (other countries)
    • Signed up, but havent gone through boot camp/ basic training/officer candidate school yet.
    • Retired Military

I did not serve in the military, but my father was a Marine, my brother was in the Army, my niece was in the Army and my husband, Gary was in the Navy from 1961 to June of 1966 and served in Viet Nam. I too would like to salute those of our military people who serve our country.

I appreciate the sentiments, however - while I was in during the worst part of Vietnam, I never left the US East coast. I managed to get attached to an Air Combat Training School as permanent personnel. Then managed to become an instructor teaching pilots how to use some very interesting equipment that you have never heard of. :whistling: I was not allowed to leave the continental US - not even allowed to travel to Hawaii or Alaska for several years after I got out. I actually enjoyed my time in the Corps and would probably have stayed if I hadn't gotten married and started having kids.

I did get to see most of my friends go, Most of them came back changed. Several didn't come back.

I have not but much of my family have served in the military.

My father is retired from the Army and survived Vietnam (or else I would not be here today!)

My oldest brother is retired from the Air Force and his oldest daughter also went into the Air Force (where she met her husband)

My 2nd oldest brother served 8 years in the Marines.

My 3rd oldest brother was not able to join the military because he is deaf.

I thought I was going to join the military when I was very young but my father wanted me to get a college degree...he wanted all of us to get degrees. Since all of my older brothers didn't take that advice, I felt that at least one son should take career advice from his father. ;)

Every once in a blue moon, my father would share an experience he had in Vietnam but he never talks about it when asked. The one movie that my father saw that brought back terrible memories was We Were Soldiers. So if any of you out there have family that lived through that war (or police action...but don't get me started on that), please do not recommend that movie to them.

LHammonds

ex-Navy. I didn't make it past boot camp :( Messed up my foot pretty bad...

These things happen. I'm sorry it was to you. How did you mess up your foot? I had a good buddy of mine that had to go through nine months of boot camp (MC) because he had technically broken both legs.

Surprisingly, marching lol. We were marching over to the mess, I got out of sync with the rest of the group and tried to get my steps back with them. I didn't...wound up twisting the crap out of my ankle. They took me to the hospital and noticed the little scar I have on the foot that was injured. I lied about having very minor surgery on that foot (removal of a small cyst) and they booted me for that :( Kinda lame...but my recruiter said to say NOTHING about any surgeries or broken bones I have had...ah well....

Boyfriend was in the Navy before I met him too...kinda freaky. He made it past boot camp at least :P He was an Interior Communications person on the USS JFK. He got to control the camera that watched the jets come in on the boat :D He said it was a pretty cool job.

Does being in the Air Force 3 years ago count?

Of course. It's a branch of the military. I suppose it would be beneficial to say that I just wanted to see who was/still in.

Off-topic post by joquanpro removed as well as all replies. I strongly considered a strike for flamebaiting by joquanpro which is what it seemed like to me but we'll just let it go with posts being removed.

LHammonds

Off-topic post by joquanpro removed as well as all replies. I strongly considered a strike for flamebaiting by joquanpro which is what it seemed like to me but we'll just let it go with posts being removed.

LHammonds

Thank You.