If I want to play 30 or more mods

oxpleaqssfwspy2

What would be the programs that would need to use 30+ mods including script mods, and what is the proper order to activate them.

1 - 20 mods?

21 - 40 mods?

40+ mods?

That's not a simple question to answer.

Most of us that run a "heavily modded" Oblivion have at least 100 mods. I myself often reach the 200 mark and beyond, though a lot of those are clothing mods that I'm too lazy to merge into one (to save space, since the limit is 254 if I'm not mistaken).

It's not a matter of "order of activation", but rather the order at which the game loads it, also known as "Load Order". However, the default Oblivion Launcher, which you normally use to activate mods doesn't allow you to adjust the Load Order. So you would need a 3rd party program such as Oblivion Mod Manager (OBMM).

However, I highly recommend that if you do plan to mod your game and eventually "heavily mod" it, you should learn to use this very simple program called BOSS. Simply put, it adjusts the Load Order for you, based on a database put together by people who know what they're doing. It's almost always right (it just doesn't recognize some new/less popular/custom mods yet), and you can trust it to adjust the load order for you. I suggest you read whatever BOSS displays on your browser, too. It won't activate or deactivate mods for you; it'll only put them in the right order.

I also recommend that you get the necessary unofficial patches, if you haven't yet. You can search them out at TESNexus of course. Read the instructions properly, and only install the patches for stuff you actually have (like if you don't have Shivering Isles, don't get the Unofficial Shivering Isles Patch).

I hope this helps. :)

Boss is a wonderful tool..but even as much or more...if you run lots of mods (I have hundreds) then Wrye Bash is pretty much a must.

Yeah I guess it's a good idea to learn to use Wrye Bash even as a new player. It's not really hard to learn (anymore). There's plenty of documentation and lots of help. And it'll definitely cut your headaches from installing a lot of mods down.

Yeah I guess it's a good idea to learn to use Wrye Bash even as a new player. It's not really hard to learn (anymore). There's plenty of documentation and lots of help. And it'll definitely cut your headaches from installing a lot of mods down.

I saw the Wrye Bash website and now I'm depressed. Unless some one can turn this into a detailed Youtube instruction, there is no way I,m going to understand it.

Thanks All for the response

Edited by oxpleaqssfwspy2

Yeah once you get the hang of it and pay attention to what you're doing, it becomes really easy. I barely even think whenever I add a new mod and rebuild my bashed patch lol. Apparently I have 203 mods active right now, excluding the mods that you don't need to activate like texture replacers. Many of them would've had conflicts and otherwise broken my Oblivion, but Wrye Bash, the useful little tool it is, keeps them all in check. It's definitely worth it to learn to use Wrye Bash. Don't let yourself get intimidated. It just looks scary at first, and reading that extremely nerdy official website layout, kinda like something from 1996, doesn't help.

Go look for those picture guides on installation. :D

I attempted the above above programs including the pictorials which I could not understand. The result, a dead game that would not even start. The best way to understand this is a Youtube where you could SEE how it is done as it is being set up. i have resorted to omm, mlox and reordermod which seem to work.