The Thread of Computers (aka will my computer run Skyrim)

Zeazer

Wonder if my laptop could run this? I can run Oblivion, New Vegas, Fallout 3 on high settings. Cyri gives constant recommended settings, even for Crysis and the like.

Specs (I took some of them on CYRI, I'm not good in finding them :P)

4GB RAM

Intel® Core i7-2630QM CPU @ 2.00GHz

GeForce GT 540M

(2,7 GB RAM)

I've heard before that laptops aren't very good at running games, but if I can run Skyrim on low to mid settings, then I'll buy the PC version.

You ran oblivion and fallout on high? .. you should be able to run skyrim on at least mid maybe high .. its still a console game

• Replies 604
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wonder if my laptop could run this? I can run Oblivion, New Vegas, Fallout 3 on high settings. Cyri gives constant recommended settings, even for Crysis and the like.

Specs (I took some of them on CYRI, I'm not good in finding them :P)

4GB RAM

Intel® Core i7-2630QM CPU @ 2.00GHz

GeForce GT 540M

(2,7 GB RAM)

I've heard before that laptops aren't very good at running games, but if I can run Skyrim on low to mid settings, then I'll buy the PC version.

You ran oblivion and fallout on high? .. you should be able to run skyrim on at least mid maybe high .. its still a console game

Yes, but fallout had a minor fps drop of course, but still very playable. Anyone else got some more info for me? Don't want to drink from one water bottle =D

Yes, but fallout had a minor fps drop of course, but still very playable. Anyone else got some more info for me? Don't want to drink from one water bottle =D

all these water bottles contain BHP

because its well documented

that the requirements have not been released

so you are simply seeking conjecture to confirm conjecture

True, but I've read some of the posts here, and Jedi's reply was only based on what I can run. I'm sure some people can tell me what I'm lacking or have enough of.

True, but I've read some of the posts here, and Jedi's reply was only based on what I can run. I'm sure some people can tell me what I'm lacking or have enough of.

let's see

what's the current rate for a divination??

are you willing to pay that cost??

remember that the game requirement are pure speculation

and any game built to run on the Xbox has minimum requirements

and therefore any such game that runs on a PC

will probably still have similar requirement

implying that if you can run Blivo, or Fallout . . .

now did you send that cash for the divination

if so, we will have to wait for it to clear the bank

before the divination on the game requirements can be attempted

and then it can't be posted in any public forum

because it would damage the divination market

let's see

what's the current rate for a divination??

are you willing to pay that cost??

remember that the game requirement are pure speculation

and any game built to run on the Xbox has minimum requirements

and therefore any such game that runs on a PC

will probably still have similar requirement

implying that if you can run Blivo, or Fallout . . .

now did you send that cash for the divination

if so, we will have to wait for it to clear the bank

before the divination on the game requirements can be attempted

and then it can't be posted in any public forum

because it would damage the divination market

You must feel very special. I get your point, but there's no need to write like that for some attention grabbing/ ego boosting fetish you might have.

The sole purpose for building my computer was to play Skyrim. As soon as I saw the announcement, I knew I needed a new one.

$1900 AUD later...

CPU - Intel Core i7 960 - QUAD 3.2GHz

RAM - Corsair 6GB DOMINATOR 1600MHz

GPU - Sapphire ATI Radeon 6970 2GB

HDD - Seagate 2TB Internal SATA

MBO - Gigabyte X58-A

OS. - Win7

The case doesn't even fit under my desk anymore lol.

Currently playing on my 1080p 50 inch TV and will be getting another 6970 to run in Crossfire.

It can run The Witcher 2 on everything Maximum including Ubersampling. Looks beautiful!

Should dominate Skyrim!

November 11th can't come around fast enough. 62 days left!!!

That is such a waste of money on the 6970.

Its been out for so long and the better/newer 7 series will be out sometime in April i think. Anyways the point im making here is that:

1. skyrim isn't a demanding game, since well no directx11 support on release. Todd said it may happen in the future but who knows when.

2. 6970 is already plenty of power to run that game, since this isn't like a quake engine based fps game there's no reasoning on going past 60 fps.

3. the 7 series cards at least the top 3 big ones 7990 7970 7950 will have a new architecture @ 28nm process.

Really a 6870 would do it at close to high settings, but personally id wait for those new cards before building some kind of beast machine, cause the 6 series will sorely be outclassed.

Also its rumored that pci e 3.0 may also be included.

If that is the case i would get 2 7970s and crossfire them, if not i may just get 1 and if i needed the extra boost before say an 8 series with pci e 3.0 id just get another at a cheaper price on a later date.

Its been out for so long and the better/newer 7 series will be out sometime in April i think. Anyways the point im making here is that:

1. skyrim isn't a demanding game, since well no directx11 support on release. Todd said it may happen in the future but who knows when.

2. 6970 is already plenty of power to run that game, since this isn't like a quake engine based fps game there's no reasoning on going past 60 fps.

3. the 7 series cards at least the top 3 big ones 7990 7970 7950 will have a new architecture @ 28nm process.

Really a 6870 would do it at close to high settings, but personally id wait for those new cards before building some kind of beast machine, cause the 6 series will sorely be outclassed.

If that is the case i would get 2 7970s and crossfire them, if not i may just get 1 and if i needed the extra boost before say an 8 series with pci e 3.0 id just get another at a cheaper price on a later date.

7xxx are supposed to come out this year, Q4, apparently with the lower and mid range card instead of the high end 79xx card like you'd expect. And yeah pci e 3.0, which are backward compatible. Q1 next year are when the nvidia 6xx series are thought to arrive.

I disagree about 6870 would do close to high settings. Look at the bench marks for it. It can do nearly every game out at min 30fps maxed at 1080.

Why would anyone need a 7970 this day and age let alone 2? 6970s will be idling around until the next console iteration comes around. Years left in them with the current state of games development. :thumbsup:

Edited by Ghogiel

7xxx are supposed to come out this year, Q4, apparently with the lower and mid range card instead of the high end 79xx card like you'd expect. And yeah pci e 3.0, which are backward compatible. Q1 next year are when the nvidia 6xx series are thought to arrive.

I disagree about 6870 would do close to high settings. Look at the bench marks for it. It can do nearly every game out at min 30fps maxed at 1080.

Why would anyone need a 7970 this day and age let alone 2? 6970s will be idling around until the next console iteration comes around. Years left in them with the current state of games development. :thumbsup:

I don't understand why the 6970 has been getting hate lol. It's a fantastic card! I won't even need two to run Skyrim but I'll probably get one because they're so cheap.