Ad reporting functionality

Dark0ne

In response to post #35630357. #35630877, #35634887, #35635242, #35636402, #35637432, #35643577 are all replies on the same post.

DreamingGirl wrote: I would buy premium if I could do so without giving up my personal information. A simple 'pay with paypal' button would suffice. I don't give out my real name and address on the internet unless it is vital. Sorry.
Dark0ne wrote: Feel free to give false info at the start then give proper info (for obvious reasons) to Pay Pal, if you wish. Bearing in mind anyone you buy off online can see your name and address anyway (which is all the site asks for) so really...whether you do or don't, the store always sees your details anyway!
DreamingGirl wrote: But Nexus isn't a 'store' by any stretch of the word. Giving your name and address to Amazon is one thing, as they obviously need it to send you your goods. They also have strict security measures to keep your private data private. But Nexus is a gaming fan site, and have no need for this info. Nothing personal, but I doubt a privately owned site like this would have the same kind of security measures in place.

As long as I can not make this purchase completely anonymously, I unfortunately will not buy it. Just my two cents :)
Dark0ne wrote: As I said, you can enter Mickey Mouse, Disney Land on the site if you care that much. You just, naturally, have to use the correct details on Pay Pal in order for your card to actually work.
MongoMonk wrote: Couldn't you allow for options like the paysafecard which allows you to pay securely and anonymously?
Arthmoor wrote: the concept of buying anything online in total anonymity is quite amusing to me. Can't see any way for that to actually mesh with the reality that the information is there, and more people than you realize know it.
sisgolden wrote: If you use Paypal, the merchant(in this case nexusmods.com) can know your true name and address, and also email address.
If you become anonymous, you must convince nexusmods.com to accept BitCoin.

Also, I don't like to input anything on HTTP website, come on it's 2016, you can get a free certificate from LetsEncrypt.com, so why not use HTTPS on every webpage nexusmods?

Our store page is SSL encrypted, so that's a non-issue.

We are in the final steps of encrypting the entire site. What was stopping us? A lot of money, considering we use a CDN for all our static content, which also needs to be encrypted to ensure no MITM attacks.

• Replies 412
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #35643667.

sisgolden wrote: Mr. Snowden says we, internet users, must use adblockers to protect themselves.
I never turn off my adblock. It's not about hate nexusmods.com, it's all about security.

In recent days, advertisements network were hacked, and used it as a "malware-distribution platform".
What will you do if we infect a zero-day virus from Advertisement, downloaded while visiting nexusmods.com? Nothing, right?

Then if you value the site purchase a supporting membership, it's a one off payment. You can't be all 'take take take'

You just won a place on the whitelist for my Adblocker.

Although... the Tracking Protection feature in Firefox appears to still block about half the ads... not much I can do about that, that's a problem on your end, so it stays on!

The delay from the webpage requesting the ad, and then the wait for the delivery and display, is simply way too long. Depending on the time of day, it can push page loads up as far as an extra 30 seconds, and in cases where it doesn't respond at all, the page doesn't load.

I am not sure, but it seems that the code that the ad company has given out that loads the ads prevents the rest of the content from displaying until the ads have loaded. Perhaps rewriting those would go a long way towards increasing the number of people who allow ads.

Also, many of the ads redirect the user away from the page. Of those, most redirect to a page that redirects to another page... so that you can't "go back". On the pages that you can get back to, each view reloads the ads, and there are multiple ads per page, so there is no way to tell what ad caused the problem.

Another potential solution would be to change ad companies. There are many webpages that I visit regularly that display ads without delay, and without the problem-type ads.

Basically, I have adblocker disabled unless I specifically enable it for a site that causes problems. The number of issues I have encountered here are the reason I installed it originally.

However, it is good to see you working on improving the situation. I will turn it on and off occasionally to see if the changes are working well for me.

Edited by qmjs

In response to post #35630357. #35630877, #35634887, #35635242, #35636402, #35637432, #35643577, #35643987 are all replies on the same post.

DreamingGirl wrote: I would buy premium if I could do so without giving up my personal information. A simple 'pay with paypal' button would suffice. I don't give out my real name and address on the internet unless it is vital. Sorry.
Dark0ne wrote: Feel free to give false info at the start then give proper info (for obvious reasons) to Pay Pal, if you wish. Bearing in mind anyone you buy off online can see your name and address anyway (which is all the site asks for) so really...whether you do or don't, the store always sees your details anyway!
DreamingGirl wrote: But Nexus isn't a 'store' by any stretch of the word. Giving your name and address to Amazon is one thing, as they obviously need it to send you your goods. They also have strict security measures to keep your private data private. But Nexus is a gaming fan site, and have no need for this info. Nothing personal, but I doubt a privately owned site like this would have the same kind of security measures in place.

As long as I can not make this purchase completely anonymously, I unfortunately will not buy it. Just my two cents :)
Dark0ne wrote: As I said, you can enter Mickey Mouse, Disney Land on the site if you care that much. You just, naturally, have to use the correct details on Pay Pal in order for your card to actually work.
MongoMonk wrote: Couldn't you allow for options like the paysafecard which allows you to pay securely and anonymously?
Arthmoor wrote: the concept of buying anything online in total anonymity is quite amusing to me. Can't see any way for that to actually mesh with the reality that the information is there, and more people than you realize know it.
sisgolden wrote: If you use Paypal, the merchant(in this case nexusmods.com) can know your true name and address, and also email address.

Also, I don't like to input anything on HTTP website, come on it's 2016, you can get a free certificate from LetsEncrypt.com, so why not use HTTPS on every webpage nexusmods?
Dark0ne wrote: Our store page is SSL encrypted, so that's a non-issue.

We are in the final steps of encrypting the entire site. What was stopping us? A lot of money, considering we use a CDN for all our static content, which also needs to be encrypted to ensure no MITM attacks.

If so, try Cloudflare. It offers free SSL certificate with good cache.
CF is good solution to reduce traffic. Edited by sisgolden

In response to post #35643667. #35643992 is also a reply to the same post.

sisgolden wrote: Mr. Snowden says we, internet users, must use adblockers to protect themselves.
I never turn off my adblock. It's not about hate nexusmods.com, it's all about security.

In recent days, advertisements network were hacked, and used it as a "malware-distribution platform".
What will you do if we infect a zero-day virus from Advertisement, downloaded while visiting nexusmods.com? Nothing, right?
Setekh79 wrote: Then if you value the site purchase a supporting membership, it's a one off payment. You can't be all 'take take take'

See my reply above. There's not bitcoin payment at this moment.

In response to post #35630357. #35630877, #35634887, #35635242, #35636402, #35637432, #35643577, #35643987, #35644392 are all replies on the same post.

Dark0ne wrote: Our store page is SSL encrypted, so that's a non-issue.

sisgolden wrote: If so, try Cloudflare. It offers free SSL certificate with good cache.
CF is good solution to reduce traffic.

You don't understand. CloudFlare isn't a CDN in the true sense of what we need it for. It supplements an existing system, but it doesn't replace it. It's more of a proxy, adding another layer above an already existing system. It can save a bit of bandwidth, but it doesn't replace a traditional CDN. It's also against PCI-DSS which we have to comply with for eCommerce.

Similarly, CloudFlare also breaks a lot of the functionality on the site, not least of which is the uploading of files above 100MB in size and IP logging to prevent bad users and spammers.

We know because we used it for a month. It didn't work out. Edited by Dark0ne

So I'm a supporter status member but I do have Adblock enabled (It's just on by default, I never bothered to disable it here since I won't see ads anyway.) on my PC. In order to get the 50% increase shpuld I disable it or does it matter? Also something I've really wondered is even if it's a one-time fee how does having no ads for supporter status help the Nexus? Speaking of support, and I know this sounds like there's no point in it, can there be an option to ENABLE ads for supporter status? Let's say I want to support the Nexus but don't want to do it out of pocket. Maybe I can't afford to. A toggle for ads (Maybe a feature to choose WHICH ads we want to see based on our preferences.) would help a supporter who's already paid before but can't/doesn't want to anymore still support the site. If you want, maybe a 75% increase over the default 50% for enabling ads AND disabling Adblock.