Ad reporting functionality

Dark0ne

You wouldn't have issue's with Adblocker if your site was perfectly safe with harmless Ads...

I have configured Adblocker to allow non intrusive Ads and I only see one or two... So either there's an issue with Adblocker or your site has a bunch of unsafe ads. Also redirection is not nice nor is auto playing audio that never ends cannot be muted and is twice as loud as everything else...

Until the site is safer I can only foresee more Adblocker users. I will disable mine for now and see what happens but meh...

Edited by MaSt3RofDraGOns

• Replies 412
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Start serving ads on your own network, and make sure that they're not serving malware and you'll likely have more luck with people not using adblockers in the first place. Nexus is large enough it could serve it's own ads. That does require work from your end, and it also requires users to trust you not to infect their machines. Offering a bounty or compensation if an advertiser infects users(such as unfettered downloads for life or some such) would also likely get people to turn off ad blockers.

Sites like forbes have already seen a massive decline in viewership, and I wouldn't be surprised if it's dead in two years since it's effectively turned into a blog farm. News sites like the Guardian are going the same way as well, I give it three years and it'll be nothing but a blog farm as well.

edit: This is the reason why people are blocking ads.

https://blog.malwarebytes.org/malvertising-2/2016/03/large-angler-malvertising-campaign-hits-top-publishers/

Edited by Mashiki

In response to post #35707712.

Mashiki wrote: Start serving ads on your own network, and make sure that they're not serving malware and you'll likely have more luck with people not using adblockers in the first place. Nexus is large enough it could serve it's own ads. That does require work from your end, and it also requires users to trust you not to infect their machines. Offering a bounty or compensation if an advertiser infects users(such as unfettered downloads for life or some such) would also likely get people to turn off ad blockers.

Sites like forbes have already seen a massive decline in viewership, and I wouldn't be surprised if it's dead in two years since it's effectively turned into a blog farm. News sites like the Guardian are going the same way as well, I give it three years and it'll be nothing but a blog farm as well.

edit: This is the reason why people are blocking ads.
https://blog.malwarebytes.org/malvertising-2/2016/03/large-angler-malvertising-campaign-hits-top-publishers/

I got hit by one of those advertising malware attacks recently myself, and it took me 4 days to fully remove the infection. Some of those malware from ads are really hard to get rid of and thus unless Nexus does a better job at managing bad ads, they aren't going to get people off adblockers.

I don't use adblocker and am the most basic casual member. What I have noticed is that there are a lot of nexus adverts which play sound etc, which is a little irritating. I'm a casual member, but have downloaded a lot, so after reading this I will ensure I don't get adblocker so I will support this site/community as best I can currently with my income as it is - i.e. I'm poor.

I thought this news report was well written with a well thought out idea of tiered membership which doesnt penalise people in any way, and is good incentive to get more supporters & premium members without it being a pay-wall website.

Good ideas. However, if everyone got the cheapest supporter option and never saw ads again, your site would be in trouble! Likely this won't happen, though. Thanks for your open-ness and the great website.

In response to post #35698967. #35701342, #35702772 are all replies on the same post.

alt3rn1ty wrote: Seems like the subject is quite timely ..

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-35821276

Cryptowall via adverts

"To avoid falling victim to future attacks, people should uninstall potentially unsafe programs such as Flash, Java and Microsoft's Silverlight, that cyber thieves regularly exploit, said the security firms. In addition, they said, users should make sure they keep their web browsers up to date."
Arthmoor wrote: Yep. I removed Java ages ago, never installed Silverlight, and after getting nailed with an exploit in Flash a few weeks ago, finally decided to ditch that completely too.

I have yet to encounter the supposed "degraded web experience" people claim comes from not having those things installed and my browser is definitely much happier not having that crap around.
RobotWillie wrote: I would too, but many video sites I go on require it. Don't think I have Java and Silverlight.

So my experience would be degraded since not long ago I got a new computer and was sad when they wouldn't load so I had to download it to work.

If everyone did not use flash, would you really miss the few videos these days which dont use it but instead use HTML5. Most YouTube videos have now been converted by google so you do not need flash, and the latest versions of google chrome do not allow the full blown flash to work in their browser, they allow pepperflash ( which is sandboxed and reprogrammed by google to be safer ), but the full blown adobe installer version ( either Flash, Shockwave or Adobe Air plugins which break privileges and are in the news at least once per month for being vulnerable to yet another zero day exploit ) .. nobody needs anymore.

Authors will change video formats quick enough if they are not getting viewed because dinosaur plugin dependencies are no longer used. Edited by Guest

In response to post #35698967. #35701342, #35702772, #35718302 are all replies on the same post.

alt3rn1ty wrote: Seems like the subject is quite timely ..

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-35821276

Cryptowall via adverts

"To avoid falling victim to future attacks, people should uninstall potentially unsafe programs such as Flash, Java and Microsoft's Silverlight, that cyber thieves regularly exploit, said the security firms. In addition, they said, users should make sure they keep their web browsers up to date."
Arthmoor wrote: Yep. I removed Java ages ago, never installed Silverlight, and after getting nailed with an exploit in Flash a few weeks ago, finally decided to ditch that completely too.

I have yet to encounter the supposed "degraded web experience" people claim comes from not having those things installed and my browser is definitely much happier not having that crap around.
RobotWillie wrote: I would too, but many video sites I go on require it. Don't think I have Java and Silverlight.

So my experience would be degraded since not long ago I got a new computer and was sad when they wouldn't load so I had to download it to work.
alt3rn1ty wrote: If everyone did not use flash, would you really miss the few videos these days which dont use it but instead use HTML5. Most YouTube videos have now been converted by google so you do not need flash, and the latest versions of google chrome do not allow the full blown flash to work in their browser, they allow pepperflash ( which is sandboxed and reprogrammed by google to be safer ), but the full blown adobe installer version ( either Flash, Shockwave or Adobe Air plugins which break privileges and are in the news at least once per month for being vulnerable to yet another zero day exploit ) .. nobody needs anymore.

Authors will change video formats quick enough if they are not getting viewed because dinosaur plugin dependencies are no longer used.

hi
yes i use pale moon YouTube flash i can get 1080p but on the HTML 5 i only get 720p pale moon do not support MSE (Media Source Extensions) i have flash set to ask to activate and i use java portable and i use multimc for minecraft i do not use java in the web browser and i do not use Silverlight the reason i use an ad blocker is i DO NOT ! Trust the ad providers

I appreciate this tremendously. I've been happily using this site and downloading hundreds of mods for about 3-4 years now, and it's been a largely pleasant experience visually and performance wise. However, 2-3 months ago the ads that I had never blocked before started doing things that made me uncomfortable. I had white-listed this site on both my ghostery and ABP plugins, but a few problems made me change my mind. 2-3 months ago I started having ads open up new tabs to different sites on me, or expanding to cover up parts of the site that I need (mod descriptions, ect). Sometimes the ad would simply break formatting for some reason. In the past, issues with ads were only related to the performance hit that having multiple nexus tabs open with continuously changing ads would cause. However this was no problem to me, as I saw it as a fair trade off for the excellent experience I was otherwise receiving. However when Bitdefender started flagging ads and the pages they opened as unsafe or possibly contain malware, or the page freeze that would occur due to it pulling up a notification which would force me to close Chrome with task manager. Now that the issue is being addressed, I'll be promptly white-listing the site again.

TL;DR

Thank you so much for looking into this, my conscious and the security of my computer can rest easy now, I'll let you know what happens, keep up the good work!

The ad reporting features is something wonderful.

I don't use an actual ADS Blocker. I use NoScript that block ads contents becouse it blocks javascript and plugin execution.

I will whitelist nexusmods for the future times

However you should remove AD that make use of Flash player, java, silverlight and other so little-secure thecnologies

Edited by llde

In response to post #35703562.

MaSt3RofDraGOns wrote: You wouldn't have issue's with Adblocker if your site was perfectly safe with harmless Ads...

I have configured Adblocker to allow non intrusive Ads and I only see one or two... So either there's an issue with Adblocker or your site has a bunch of unsafe ads. Also redirection is not nice nor is auto playing audio that never ends cannot be muted and is twice as loud as everything else...

Until the site is safer I can only foresee more Adblocker users. I will disable mine for now and see what happens but meh...

i disagree, most users of Adblock like myself do not disable the add on in till we find out if a site is serving up safe ads or not....the blocker stays on by default no matter what site i am on because all ads suck and offer up potential risks of malware.