Ad reporting functionality

Dark0ne

Well I got NIHL from a ridiculously loud ad on here. That combined with the insane slowdowns that happen from having a few tabs on this site open at once (with adblocker turned off) plus the malvertising has me not trusting disabling my adblocker. I'm open to disabling it for this site after I stop being butthurt over the hearing loss, but only if the system is actually fixed.

• Replies 412
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The ads have been out of control for awhile the ad will take president over the page itself. I get the ad deal and making money. However, I normally don't use ad blocker but as of late I had to it was just ridicules the loud sounds R.I.P my ears with earbuds. I also don't think ads need to be so data heavy I can run full HD videos that have nowhere near the impact these ads have been having.

I very much appreciate this change. i have been using adblock in the past because of adds on this site that make me uncofortable (loud noises and flashing), and i greatly support the fact that you arent peanilizing adblock users, and im glad we are moderating adds now,

i may give it a week or 2 so everything settles down add wise, however i plan to turn off adblock after that.

thank you all for all your work on this site, we all really apriciate it!

I love this site and have used adblock for a few months now because certain ads I just don't find acceptable. Ie, video ads that auto play with sound loudly when I'm trying to read an article or ads that stop youtube videos in the middle to play, on mobile ads in general eating up data I payed for (I didn't pay whatever money to watch an ad and I have limited data. Give me a break) Banner ads that simply display their product are fine.

I feel bad for using adblock and have whitelisted youtube channels and various sites, including Nexus. Nexus still uses video ads that clog down the load time and are just plain frustrating. It's an overly-aggressive approach to selling a product that isn't necessary. People trying to penalize adblock users need to contact their sponsors and have a chat on which ads just aren't acceptable. So many people sit there and wonder why people use adblock when companies like youtube will cram ads into the middle of a video. It's overly intrusive and takes away from the experience on the site. Video ads and some of the others mentioned above in the article are equally as intrusive and the reason people hate ads. If ad companies weren't so aggressive with them then people wouldn't feel the need to use adblock.

Edited by witchprincessa

So I figured out pretty quickly that I didn't want to keep adblocker enabled on websites I use and appreciate (random websites I end up on once I'm not willing to trust). However, I do not like my browsing habits being tracked for ad targeting, thus as of last year I started using firefox's anti-tracker to not necessarily block ads, but block anything that tracks me, whether it's an ad or it's part of the website.

I haven't seen any ads on the Nexus since.

Now maybe there's something I'm not getting that makes ads absolutely forced to track me in some way. I do not believe this because ads on youtube and some other websites show for me now, but if there's some reason why Nexus ads need to track you while youtube ads don't, I'd love to know about it.

I don't know if the anti tracker is blocking every single ad or it is blocking the ad supplier directly, but either way unless I become aware of having somehow misunderstood the tracking protection feature in firefox, whenever I am browsing any website, I will be using it and (hopefully) be blocking any unauthorized tracking system. If the ads on here don't track me, I will see them.

Just some feed back. I usually browse with ad block off and just use it for sites with really annoying/aggressive ads. If I want to browse Nexus without my ear drums exploding, I have to either turn it on or mute chrome. I don't see either of those as ideal choices. Just get rid of the ad next to the content (above the Latest news area, for example). That's the one that almost always has really loud, really obnoxious videos. They loop, or start randomly if the tab is left open, and hitting "report this ad" just hides it while the audio still plays.

Hey there!

I've noticed a weirdness with the ads showing up lately on my Windows 10 Tablet, even though I've been a supporter and shouldn't see any ads at all. My desktop browsing doesn't have this problem, but my tablet browsing does continually show the top banner ad; like the one with the 'You may need to fix Windows Errors' flashing Yes-No' Ads By Wosom. Attempting to close the ads by clicking the "x" simply causes the ad to show up again a second later.

I'm not sure if this is a case of them sneaking the ads by you, or something overlooked in the code for mobile and tablet browsing. But I thought I had better report it here, since for whatever reason no "Report This Ad' option appears underneath the banner at all.

Hope that's helpful.