Ad reporting functionality

Dark0ne

My suggestion to anyone having problems with ads: disable flash. Either disable it completely, or set it to "Click-to-play," and most of your issues will go away. All of the ads that have auto-playing sounds and cause slow-down use flash. Disabling flash won't disable ads, because it will just revert to HTML-based ads (which is all it really should be using in the first place...).

• Replies 412
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to disable ad blocker to support this site the way I can but when you gives the hand...people want your arm.

When I click outside the page, in the blank sides, I get redirected to some ad webpage, with no warning, there's nothing it's a invisible spot to trick people into clicking the AD.

So ad blocker is turned on again, when I can I will buy premium but that's what I can offer, not willing to go that low, its a matter of principles.

After reading this article, I immediately whitelisted NexusMods on AdBlock and Ghostery. It showed 2 normal ads, no problem. Tried clicking random places, no redirects, good! Then I looked at Ghostery's tracking hits (it shows who's tracking you even when disabled) and I was being tracked by 94 companies on this site alone. The ads wouldn't bother me really, but the tracking? It does. Unfortunately, the ads will not be visible with Ghostery on.

I'll consider buying the Supporter Membership when I can, as Nexusmods has been an invaluable source of mods.

Wanted to share my experience and thank you for the service.

For my part, i know the nexus for a while, and came browsing around from time to time, Then i reinstalled Skyrim again for a new play-through, and came on a regular base (each day most). So advertising isn't realy nice for me. I like look at different mods, have mostly many browser-tabs open doing this.

I understand well the reason for the publicity, but some are realy noisy. Like you said, those with sound that you can't stop, or else. I didn't use my add-blocker on the nexus, understanding well survival purpose. So my best choice was becoming a supporter. I think this is a realy fair choice, because the price for that is a bargain. I spend so many hours on the nexus. And my experience is more better without adds. Hope all (not possible i know, but most) are happy so, because i am. :)

I can honestly say that the lifetime premium membership I picked up shortly after Skyrim's launch was probably the best use of my entertainment budget funds. Though I don't think I've ever seen an ad on this site as I used adblock prior to that, the premium file servers (one of which is in my city) and uncapped downloads have made premium membership worth it to me.

For my part, as a former site owner I fully understand the cost and stress of trying to manage upkeep on an active website. There will never be a time that I am an active member here when I am not contributing monthly. Yes, it's probably cheaper and easier to do the lifetime membership, but I'm trying to support the site, not safe a few bucks. I think this ad solution is more than fair.

I'll make the payment, because the ad companies cannot be held accountable when they serve malware. It happened with Yahoo and Forbes; it's certainly going to happen again. I'm not running scripts and Flash from random 3rd party companies whose only motivation is money. I'll support this site. I'll also support ad blockers until there is enforceable legislation that holds companies responsible when my computer is botted or bricked by some sketchy foreign ad company. Good luck.

I occasionally disable ABP when visiting Nexus Mods, to see if the ad problems have been resolved, and they aren't. There are some ads I reported over 4 weeks ago, and clicking report Ad says I've reported it already, and yet these ads keep showing up. What is the point of reporting malicious ads or autoplaying sound ads, when nothing is being done to remove those ads once they have been reported. I can understand, it taking a week or two to address a bad ad, but over 4 weeks is excessive. If you want people to permanently disable ABP while browsing Nexus Mods, you guys need to eliminate reported ads as soon as possible; 4 weeks is too long a wait, and honestly, most people will feel that you aren't doing anything if an Ad they reported is still here after a week of reporting it. Edited by doomknightofchaos