Skyrim is a port for PC

Thelionheart

Exactly! the graphics are clearly amazing, only thing left that could be even remotely screwed up would be the UI, and that's nothing we modders can't fix.

For my part I'm a dedicated GAMER. I play console AND PC, and me, I think trying to compare them is like trying to suggest a Pineapple is better than a lump of Cheese. They're completely diferent things, and you need them both to make a Pizza-though I will say I actualy preffer the "simplified" console controls. I play a LOT of car and motorbike racing games, and while I own most on PC, I actualy use a wireless Xbox360 pad as controls, simply because it's such an intuitive, responive interface, and unlike the majority of controllers, is actualy comfortable for me to use for extended sessions.

I did try a controller based on a PS-3 controller during a 3 hour PC enduro, but that didn't end well, it left my hands cramping after less than an hour, and that's very unusual for me, as I'm infamous in some games for simply staying out no matter what's falling off and what's broken. Well in this case the PS-3 controller broke me, but it was still a quantum leap better than the keyboard for driving, and shooting, despite the lousy layout, and lousy build quality compared to my aftermarket 360 remote. For the reason of intuitive, crisp, responsive controls, and non-painful hands, I'd like to see less half assed gamepad support for PC this time for Skyrim, hopefully as a port it will actualy be able to assign a movement button(Oblivion can't)

Edited by Vindekarr

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know if anyone noticed the HUD in the recent trailers or lack-thereof. They're going for a minimalist view as far as that goes now.

Yes, it sucks that we might have to do work to get the "feel" of the game perfected, but that just how life is. Better have a game to build off of than have none.

Again, a matter of opinion.

The less HUD in a medieval/fantasy game the better for me.

The part about the HUD wasn't an opinion, it's a fact....

They had a compass at the top of the screen active at all times and that's all. Health and such only appears when needed. That is a minimalistic view. This is exactly what you're saying you wanted in the Heads Up Display. I'm not referring to menus.

The other part is pretty much saying better to have a game than not have one. Are you saying you'd rather not have the game? This is not me asking if you think the game they're giving you is one you'd like or if you think it's finished.

Sorry, you appeared to have just let your mouth run wild without using your brain there. Come again?

I don't know if anyone noticed the HUD in the recent trailers or lack-thereof. They're going for a minimalist view as far as that goes now.

Yes, it sucks that we might have to do work to get the "feel" of the game perfected, but that just how life is. Better have a game to build off of than have none.

They had a compass at the top of the screen active at all times and that's all. Health and such only appears when needed. That is a minimalistic view. This is exactly what you're saying you wanted in the Heads Up Display. I'm not referring to menus.

The other part is pretty much saying better to have a game than not have one. Are you saying you'd rather not have the game? This is not me asking if you think the game they're giving you is one you'd like or if you think it's finished.

Not completely minimalistic, if we could toggle the compass off then it would be minimal, which is something I hope for in the game regarding the UI.

Sorry, you appeared to have just let your mouth run wild without using your brain there. Come again?

Tell me what I said incorrectly. Going back and watching it again, there was a faint but noticeable crosshair. That's still a minimal view. It'd be completely uninhibited without the compass, if that's what you're getting at, which I'm aware of.

I'm kind of wondering how the self-hiding bars will work when not in combat, for example if you need to check your health at a shop. Can a console controller spare a button to bring up the HUD?

Tell me what I said incorrectly. Going back and watching it again, there was a faint but noticeable crosshair. That's still a minimal view. It'd be completely uninhibited without the compass, if that's what you're getting at, which I'm aware of.

You went off on what you thought I was getting at, using some kind of argument that made me think of the old "If you don't support the war in Iraq, then you hate American, and you can geeeet out!"

You're still not convincing me on the HUD, I don't see why it has to be too complicated. I'm guessing you wish it were something like WoW's? Which is a clutter of ridiculousness.

Where did you get the second paragraph from, exactly? You seemed to have pulled that out of nowhere, or were talking to someone else.

I like limited HUD when not in a menu or at an items screen etc. I don't like the sci/fi type HUD going around my screen for a game where the most advanced technology is magical or mechanical.

You went off on what you thought I was getting at, using some kind of argument that made me think of the old "If you don't support the war in Iraq, then you hate American, and you can geeeet out!"

You're still not convincing me on the HUD, I don't see why it has to be too complicated. I'm guessing you wish it were something like WoW's? Which is a clutter of ridiculousness.

Where did you get the second paragraph from, exactly? You seemed to have pulled that out of nowhere, or were talking to someone else.

I like limited HUD when not in a menu or at an items screen etc. I don't like the sci/fi type HUD going around my screen for a game where the most advanced technology is magical or mechanical.

I think there was an error in communication here. The game is lacking in an onscreen HUD, but I never said it was a bad thing and I'm not trying to convince you of anything. I love the new HUD. I didn't even realize the compass was there until I looked at the mountain peaks in the background. As for the second part, I thought you were complaining at first that you felt the game wouldn't be playable if the HUD wasn't right, so I was saying better to have a game to mod your way than to not have one. My bad if you weren't.

I don't play online games, tried WoW a couple of years ago and couldn't get into it.

So we're all good, right? No more confusion?http://www.thenexusforums.com/public/style_emoticons/dark/thumbsup.gif

I think there was an error in communication here. The game is lacking in an onscreen HUD, but I never said it was a bad thing and I'm not trying to convince you of anything. I love the new HUD. I didn't even realize the compass was there until I looked at the mountain peaks in the background. As for the second part, I thought you were complaining at first that you felt the game wouldn't be playable if the HUD wasn't right, so I was saying better to have a game to mod your way than to not have one. My bad if you weren't.

I don't play online games, tried WoW a couple of years ago and couldn't get into it.

So we're all good, right? No more confusion?http://www.thenexusforums.com/public/style_emoticons/dark/thumbsup.gif

Yeah. I thought you were wanting a more complicated HUD, I get what you're saying now.

For all the people screaming at PC players to stop whining, I must say to you that consoles are running on 6 year old hardware which limits the capabilities greatly. Yes, Skyrim will be amazing. Yes, it will look decent. But no, it will not live up to its true potential for the simple fact that while developers have became more adept at maximizing the console's potential, it will never be on par with the current gen of PC hardware. Nobody is ripping on the console players. They are just ripping the fact that Bethesda is doing it backwards. Bad Company 3, for example, has been designed specifically for the PC hardware and scaled down to accompany the console's hardware. This is the way that all developers should produce games. Obviously there are free market principles at play here, and as the developers know, PC gamers will buy Skyrim whether or not it was designed for the PC and then scaled down to the consoles. Why would a developer spend the extra time and money to implement PC specific attributes when the PC arena will be its smallest market share?

My issue is Craig's word choice: "Not that bad". Okay, so does that mean it's slightly bad, just not as bad as bad can be? Honestly, that was an incredible moronic choice of words. It's fairly obvious that the PC has been their tertiary platform, but to say it's "Not that bad" in a way rubs salt in the open wounds of PC gamers that know full well that Skyrim will not be up to current gen's standards.

One can only hope for the day that next gen consoles are released. Then we will see some amazing advancement in the gaming industry. Right now, the industry is just treading water and squeezing as much as they can out of 6 year old hardware. Bad Company 3 has at least raised the bar.

But you have to admit, it is a LOT easier to optimize the game for those 6 year old hardware, because they are the same in every console.

And the PC has almost an unlimited number of hardware combinations.

But what you say is true, and still, I think that they use the console market to make money, and the PC market as their "main" customers, not in quantity, but in quality

Maybe we won't buy as much as the console guys, but hey, we already gave them some great ideas through mods that they used in Skyrim.

Basically I see myself, and the whole PC community, as co-game developers.

If consoles didn't exist PC gaming would have been FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR better games.