Skyrim is a port for PC

Thelionheart

I can only hope Bethesda becomes so successful that other game companies take note and become envious of how they design their games and cater to their community as well as gain valuable feedback from the community.

I hope Bethesda wakes up and smells the coffee.

The mod thing is great, and they have taken that leaf from other developers... who were releasing mod/sdk tools when BGS was still in its diapers, and taken it to heart and have capitalised on it quite well I think. They need to keep pushing that bar higher. Model exporters or perhaps even dumping some code for nilib on niftools or something.

The next step is them getting rid of this "it looks the same across all platforms" idiocy. Make the best looking game you can on each platform. Do a Dice or something. Honestly, HD textures shipping with PC version is more or less propaganda to satiate PC gamers, Oh look instead of 512s we have given you some 1024s as well, aren't you happy? No, actually, how about a new f***ing shader? Give us a SSS or a DX 11 feature. Have it where all the parallax shaders are replaced with Hull shader and we get some tessellation on the go. How about using a normal map compression that isn't s***? 3dc or swizzled, I am sick of seeing dxt compression artefacts on everything.

Textures.. pfft. It's like the easiest thing to do just save out the texture, you can set a batch file up to save out all the textures at what ever res you want. I would like to see at least a little effort here.

And yea we can fix bugs and flaws for them, and we will, and we will mod it to hell and back, and we will make all new textures, Don't see why they shouldn't be trying to make as bug free and as good looking as possible.

Edited by Ghogiel

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sort of hoping Microsoft releases windows 8, and a new game console, with DX12, in the next two years. Consoles rule the gaming market, they only support up to DX9 so we wont see much ubiquitous support till there are consoles on the market with a higher versions of DX. It's going to be some time.

On the bright side, the Wii U will have DX10 support.... so that's something I guess. :psyduck:

On the bright side, the Wii U will have DX10 support.... so that's something I guess. :psyduck:

Not with the development philosophy of "it looks the same across all platforms"

And the Wii U is supposedly as powerful as 360/PS3. Maybe a bit more I dunno, but it's not really a major step towards anything ground breaking power wise, Nintendo generally has it's own developers and games unique to that system. I know they say that the Wii U is trying to be the system that this type of outside development happens on finally, but you're more likely to get a DX10 mario.. which isn't a bad thing :tongue: . But you aren't likely to be getting a supped up version of a game(skyrim) on the Wii U if developers only port their game to it and do not actually try to utilise the technology available.

up unitl some time ago it was estimated to be a new xbox late 2013. Now many predictions push it back to things like 2015 or something ridiculous. And release a DX12 api, Why? DX9 has lasted like nearly a decade, and DX11 hasn't even found it's footing yet. DX11 has so much potential. But if they want to hurry up on that DX12 and new console then yeah, I won't complain..

And yeah it's kind of weird that consoles rule the game market, but there are 3 gaming PCs for every 1 xbox out there, and I think PC games make up some ridiculous total market share of video game sales.

http://software.intel.com/en-us/blogs/2010/04/19/hear-that-knocking-sound-its-pc-gaming/

I dunno if those stats are accurate today as it is they were last year, they say the market share for PCs is increasing...

P.S. If you are still mad because it's a console port, just remember that we PC players have mods and the console players don't. :devil:

Personally, this is the whole reason I got Oblivion for my PC in the first place. I had it for my Xbox and then I stumbled across some of the mods for the PC version of the game. The funny thing is that I haven't even gone back to playing it for my Xbox. Just because its a port doesn't mean its automatically gonna suck. We still have the upper hand on the consoles simply because of the talent pool that is dedicated to playing Skyrim for the PC.

I'm sort of hoping Microsoft releases windows 8, and a new game console, with DX12, in the next two years. Consoles rule the gaming market, they only support up to DX9 so we wont see much ubiquitous support till there are consoles on the market with a higher versions of DX. It's going to be some time.

im pretty sure the Wii fail i mean U is weaker then a ps3 or just a tiny bit better either way it doesnt improve from consoles made in 2005... pathetic.

Edited by hector530

I'm just supposing the new version of DX, because they are usually released with operating systems. The new system is not coming out for awhile, well Windows 8 is, so I feel that DX12 for their next system is a safe bet. If not much gets made for DX11 it wont be the first, and it's already got more games then DX10, I think.

As far as the Wii's goes, you're right I do not think many people, besides Nintendo will make games that are DX10, and the DX10 games will be mostly platform exclusives. If the Xbox gets the jump on Playstation, like some annalists think they will, we could see a new system in within 2 years, and many of those games would be cross-platform so computer player would benefit.

As Skyrim isn't using DX11, tessellation, or shaders, I'm kind of wondering how they'll be implementing it. I suppose it's a wait and see thing.

I'm just supposing the new version of DX, because they are usually released with operating systems. The new system is not coming out for awhile, well Windows 8 is, so I feel that DX12 for their next system is a safe bet. If not much gets made for DX11 it wont be the first, and it's already got more games then DX10, I think.

DX11 is backwards compatible. DX10.1 isn't. So there is NO reason to actually develop on that api over DX11. The life span of DX10- 11 was rather short, and DX10 was quite criticised.

And it isn't like M$ couldn't update their windows to a new DX API. They did so with vista.

as for windows 8 and a new DX12.. no. a few Winodws 8 builds are already leaked. And they don't have DX12. Plus you need to tell the GFX manufacturers about it so they can use it....

As far as the Wii's goes, you're right I do not think many people, besides Nintendo will make games that are DX10, and the DX10 games will be mostly platform exclusives.

Have you heard of feature levels? It is a feature of DX11 api. What that means for the developer is that DX11 is backwards compatible. Yes to DX10 and 9.

So Developers could develop with DX11, obviously with the idea that the game would run on both 10/9 versions, and they are still Cross platform ready. They could do, PC, Wii U and 360s.

Saying that Wii games will need extra dev time ANYWAY. They do not use DX :teehee: Same with PS3. lol. so basically they are being dicks. They build ground up s*** for Wii and PS3, but don't use DX11 and use feature levels to get some better shaders on the PC and the xbox still gets a game that looks as good as it can be. It's because of this "it looks the same across all platforms" *censored*.

im pretty sure the Wii fail i mean U is weaker then a ps3 or just a tiny bit better either way it doesnt improve from consoles made in 2005... pathetic.

Thats one of the things I like about the Wii. It has worse graphics, it's cheaper, doesn't have all those massive profile games, yet it still out sells both sony and M$

Gotta love nintendo. :biggrin:

Edited by Ghogiel

DX11 is backwards compatible. DX10.1 isn't. So there is NO reason to actually develop on that api over DX11. The life span of DX10- 11 was rather short, and DX10 was quite criticised.

And it isn't like M$ couldn't update their windows to a new DX API. They did so with vista.

as for windows 8 and a new DX12.. no. a few Winodws 8 builds are already leaked. And they don't have DX12. Plus you need to tell the GFX manufacturers about it so they can use it....

Just because the beta doesn't have DX12 doesn't mean the final version wont. As you stated they updated Vista, and could have updated XP if they wanted.

Point being OS's aren't static. What would the point be of having DX12 in the beta, no DX12 cards exist yet. GFX manufacturers aren't going to start making cards for a operating system that doesn't even have a release date yet...

Have you heard of feature levels? It is a feature of DX11 api. What that means for the developer is that DX11 is backwards compatible. Yes to DX10 and 9.

So Developers could develop with DX11, obviously with the idea that the game would run on both 10/9 versions, and they are still Cross platform ready. They could do, PC, Wii U and 360s.

Yeah... :ermm: but, why would game makers go though the extra development time adding DX11 feartures, when only computer users are going to be able to see them.

When a new console comes out, with a graphics card that can handle the newer effects OpenGL or DX. Game makers will have more incentive to add in those effects.

Saying that Wii games will need extra dev time ANYWAY. They do not use DX :teehee: Same with PS3. lol. so basically they are being dicks. They build ground up s*** for Wii and PS3, but don't use DX11 and use feature levels to get some better shaders on the PC and the xbox still gets a game that looks as good as it can be. It's because of this "it looks the same across all platforms" *censored*.

:hurr: Ok DX11, or OpenGL, they are still going to have a card that's better then the PlayStation and Xbox's.

So they'll be able to make games for their system that take advantages of the increased power.

Well developers will most likely make games that preform the same across all the systems, *censored*.

Just because the beta doesn't have DX12 doesn't mean the final version wont. As you stated they updated Vista, and could have updated XP if they wanted.

Point being OS's aren't static. What would the point be of having DX12 in the beta, no DX12 cards exist yet. GFX manufacturers aren't going to start making cards for a operating system that doesn't even have a release date yet...

What would be the point of including DX12 indeed. It doesn't exist yet, and there is no hardware for it.

Of course it will. Eventually.

Saying the final release of win 8 will drop with DX12 as part of the OS is highly speculative. There isn't even a sniff of that on the net.

and if it did come out... I would like to see it being used. If the current trends continue, developers will never get around to using it anyway.

You're the one who brought it up saying that you are fairly certain the next xbox will use DX12. I'm like maybe... but there is no reason to think that as DX12 doesn't even exist. We are speculating on like 4 different things ;D

Yeah... :ermm: but, why would game makers go though the extra development time adding DX11 feartures, when only computer users are going to be able to see them.

When a new console comes out, with a graphics card that can handle the newer effects OpenGL or DX. Game makers will have more incentive to add in those effects.

Why not? Just make the game with DX 11 instead of DX9. Then they can scale to the platforms from there. It was one of the major updates for DX11. That's part of the point of it.

It is a myth that the PC games industry isn't worth as much as the console industry, because it is actually. Only Pc users can see them. And? complain to M$ about trying to milk the 360 for 10 years. Then xboxes can see them too. Or just game on a PC. If you are that interested in it then that is what I'd do.

When new consoles come out.. *yawn*

Edited by Ghogiel